With the oldest GTV6 nearing 40 years in service, a forum to document projects and restoration seems sensible.
Davo
Silver
Silver

24V Conversion - Flywheel Adapter Options

Post by Davo »

Hi Guys,

I’m working through the last of the engine mods for dropping a 3.0 litre 24V V6 into my GTV6 - donor engine is from a 1998 166 (automatic).

It seems that there are options available now to use a CNC billet adapter plate on the 166 flywheel rather than rebalancing the original transaxle flywheel to match the 24V spec. I’m interested in more info….

First question is what flywheel does the adapter work with? Because my 166 was an auto it has a lightweight flex plate (not a dual mass or solid flywheel). Identical to the one in this ad:

https://autobutik.com.ua/en/product/12024785401/

Second question is whether the adapter is a “bolt on” or is some machining needed?

(Kevin: promise I’ll start up a thread on my build soon!!)

Cheers,

Keith
Davo
Silver
Silver

Re: 24V Conversion - Flywheel Adapter Options

Post by Davo »

My 166 “flex plate” flywheel:

KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hi Keith , did you get hold of Stavros on email I sent you . He has the adaptor for that flywheel .
Of find him on FB. He has a made a few adaptors for friends of mine in SA over the last few years . Very nice products
Davo
Silver
Silver

Post by Davo »

Hi Kevin - I can’t find that email anywhere, please send again (I’m not on Facebook 🙃)

I’m discovering how hard it is to find a solid flywheel for the 24V 3.0 (ie to use with an adapter rather than the existing flex plate). AHM make a nice unit but expensive and heavy to ship down-under!

Cheers, Keith
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Davo,
Made any plans for the relocation your crank angle sensor?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Davo
Silver
Silver

Post by Davo »

Hi MD,

I followed Kevin’s advice and positioned the trigger wheel on the front of the crank pulley. I’m keeping the serpentine belt arrangement (deleting the power steering pump), and the original harmonic pulley rubber is in great condition.Small amount of machining for a friction fit with grub screws for insurance.

I’m using existing mounting points and fabricated a solid bracket to position the sensor

Just a mock up at this point, yet to add an idler bottom right:

Cheers, Keith
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Keith , have you lowered that into the car yet ? How’s your clearance on the castor arm mounts
Davo
Silver
Silver

Post by Davo »

Hey Kevin - the car is still in metal so next step is the engine test fit, just need to fit up the sump so everything is protected…

…don’t forget to send me Stavros’s email :)

Cheers, K.