Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hi Zamani,
In the 15" Compomotive MO wheels, I have 309mm discs with Brembo 4-pots.The discs are from the M3 BMW, reduced to this size from their original 315mm.Good stuff, they're handed too, L and R with curved vanes, 28mm thick. On the next set I'm making now, with the same calipers, I will use the 166 3,0 discs, 310 original sizex28mm. The BMW discs (Brembo brand) cost me 127Euros a pair (with a good discount). I hope the 166 discs will be about the same. Therefore, my cost for these brakes is: 570Euros for calipers+pads (all brand new from eBay, usually readily available), 127E for discs and 130 for hard alloy brackets for the 75 uprights, total 827Euros. I know that unfortunately for non-Europeans this is expensive with the rising Euro exchange rates, but I think its a reasonable price for a very good brake setup. Two years ago, this would be about US$670, but now its about US$1050!! Quite a jump!
Regards,
Jim K.
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

hello

if someone can give me hint tips.
for made the front rotor hats, about the material to use ?

i buy a set of 2 wilwood calipers, the 4 piston. forged.

then for the material...i'm not sure.

can i use the most common alloy that are used for machining parts on lathe...(in france we call it AU4G).
a friend works on a machine shop...so....him can made me the parts for a resonable contribution.

thanks.
gaetan
Attachments
dsc00344.jpg
dsc00344.jpg (21.58 KiB) Viewed 12022 times
Last edited by tectoteam on Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Gaetan,The above hats or bells I made from t6 Billet alliminium.The material must have a high resistence to fatigue -other than that there are no major criterea.Make sure your machinist uses generous radii when machining them.It cuts out possible stress raisers.We have run these ally bells on the 3 race gta`s under racing conditions and have had no probl;ems whatsoever.Hope this helps..

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

Barry wrote:Gaetan,The above hats or bells I made from t6 Billet alliminium.The material must have a high resistence to fatigue -other than that there are no major criterea.Make sure your machinist uses generous radii when machining them.It cuts out possible stress raisers.We have run these ally bells on the 3 race gta`s under racing conditions and have had no probl;ems whatsoever.Hope this helps..

Barry
ok.

i may understand what you want to say....
if its made on common alloy, its important to made it whitout any abrupt edge...

i will fit this with wilwood 8 bolt discs.

when i finish the first draw(~2weeks) i'll show it on the topic.

thanks
gaetan
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Go at least for AlSi1 MgMn 100 Hv (Werkst. Nr. 3.2315 / ~6082 ASTM) and if you can get your hands on AlZn5.5MgCu 165 Hv (Werkst. Nr 3.4365.71 / 7075-T62 ASTM B209M) that would be best, but this needs surface treatment for example anodizing.
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

Maurizio wrote:Go at least for AlSi1 MgMn 100 Hv (Werkst. Nr. 3.2315 / ~6082 ASTM) and if you can get your hands on AlZn5.5MgCu 165 Hv (Werkst. Nr 3.4365.71 / 7075-T62 ASTM B209M) that would be best, but this needs surface treatment for example anodizing.
ok.

should.../may i forgot the au4g

when you spoke about hv.....its hardeness in VICKERS ? ok...

some treatment at the points where the discs touch the hat where the bolt are placed ?

(sorry for my english...far to be perfect)
2 stroke addict
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

AlZn5.5MgCu 165 Hv is not very corrosion resistant. To keep the hub nice totally anodise (is always good to do that with aluminium, but its a cost issue).

Hv = Vickers

I cant find specs for au4g, but a machineshop would be able to locate the material with the werkstoff number I added.

It is always a pain to find cross references for US/DIN/Iso etc coding
ingegnere
Gold
Gold

Post by ingegnere »

Hi Guys!

Although it' not the gearbox section, I'd like to ask a question. You seem to be skilled in metallurgy.

Do some of you know the material quality and heat treatment (maybe it's not the right term, but I hope you understand) used for transaxle syncro rings?

I would highly apreciate any answers. Thanks.
'The GTV': '83 GTV6; (summer)
' Mr Brown': '82 Alfetta 2000L; (family car)
'The Little Red': '79 Alfasud 1.3 Super; (under restoration)
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

ingegnere wrote:Hi Guys!

Although it' not the gearbox section, I'd like to ask a question. You seem to be skilled in metallurgy.

Do some of you know the material quality and heat treatment (maybe it's not the right term, but I hope you understand) used for transaxle syncro rings?

I would highly apreciate any answers. Thanks.
Sorry, can't help on that one ....
ingegnere
Gold
Gold

Post by ingegnere »

That's a pitty. :-(

Shall I contact the factory maybe?
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

ingegnere wrote:That's a pitty. :-(

Shall I contact the factory maybe?
i know i can't and answer your question....
but why ? you want to know the material or the treatment of synchro rings ? (perhaps i have an idee)

Maurizio wrote: It is always a pain to find cross references for US/DIN/Iso etc coding
:o ho yeah :!: boring......

gaetan
2 stroke addict
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Complicated !!( Brakes)

I, If you are looking at making your own synchros,Dont bother (Im assuming this is your idea or something simmilar?)

Take old worn out ones down to your local aircraft repair and overhaul shop and have them re-plasma sprayed.Talk to the aircraft chap and explain what they do-this will give him a better understanding of what type or mixture of plasma spray to apply.Ive been doing this for 20 years and I can recycle the same synchro about 5 times before i junk it.

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

:arrow:

well i find some info.

my 'french' AU4G it's : 2017.

the specs:http://www.matweb.com/search/SpecificMa ... um=MA2017O

and for the famous 7075 t6 (AlZn5.5MgCu 165 Hv , you spoke maurizzio)
the specs:http://www.matweb.com/search/SpecificMa ... m=MA7075T6

looks like the au4g drives me on a wall :(
2 stroke addict
ingegnere
Gold
Gold

Post by ingegnere »

Barry

I don't want to be off topic, but you're right. The idea is to make new sycros. (I wrote more about this on Transaxle fix??!!! topic) The method you've suggested sounds great! The only problem is I don't know yet where do we have repair shop like that, but I will ask. Thank you for the info!

Tectoteam, thanks for you as well.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

tectoteam wrote::arrow:
well i find some info.
my 'french' AU4G it's : 2017.
the specs: http://www.matweb.com/search/SpecificMa ... um=MA2017O

and for the famous 7075 t6 (AlZn5.5MgCu 165 Hv , you spoke maurizio)
the specs:http://www.matweb.com/search/SpecificMa ... m=MA7075T6

looks like the au4g drives me on a wall :(
Perfect ( www.matweb.com ) this is alway my first and best place to look first! But couldn't find you 2017 .............

http://www.matweb.com/search/SpecificMa ... m=MA6082T6 must be available at every self respecting machine shop.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79