bmacf
Gold
Gold

Possible front caliper kit - comments?

Post by bmacf »

Hey everyone, I think I may have found somebody who can put together a front brake kit for us - let me know what you think. It's the guy who puts together the Whoa brake upgrade kit for Fiat Spiders (www.whoabrakes.com) - I guess he has kits for MG's as well. A guy in the local Fiat club, Carl Friedman, introduced me - unfortunately Carl sold his Milano (what's he thinking!) and Jim at Whoa Brakes needed to borrow my spare front hub assembly to put together a kit.

Apparently Jim thinks he could put together a front brake kit with four-piston Wilwood calipers, brackets, street performance pads, and stainless hoses for something like $675-$700. That was appealing to me - the Tarox kit is beyond my budget and I would want to rely on somebody who's put together a brake kit before. I guess you have to have 15" wheels for this kit, which is ok for me. Jim was muttering something about that the calipers are Wilwood "radials with dust seals" - maybe that means something to the cognescenti out there.

It sounds like a good way to go to me for the level I am at, but I told Jim I'd get input from some other Alfisti. How's the price look? Is there something out there that costs less and provides the same braking performance? I'm doing 3-4 track days a year - is this the right upgrade for me?

Let me know. I'll forward the feedback to Jim (or point him to the forum) to help him on putting together a kit.

Bill in Maryland
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Bill,

That's not possible with the wilwood Dynapro (with seals) as the calipers alone are worth $500.

I may have some other ideas. I'll update you later on. Cost should be about $800.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Why don't you guys seriously count yourselves and contact someone like Rally Design or Godspeed Motorsport (UK)or someone in the US and have them put a big-brake kit together specifically for Alfas?? You have all seen umpteen proposed and workable solutions in this thread. Why can't you pick one and have it turned into a kit?? Its really beyond me why it hasn't happened yet! You all want practical/inexpensive big brakes and solutions still keep popping up. I think you could have a dedicated set made with Reds and 305-310mm discs for ~600Euros or less, depending on number. Companies like AP/Galfer would probably be interested in a kit too,if numbers click.
Does it all boil down to inability in getting the $$ together for a committed group buy?? Talk directly to the manufacturer, no middle men no nothing, how simpler can it get?
I mentioned AP/Galfer, here's a pic of their 4pot, A1 quality and much lighter than the Reds.
Jim K.
Attachments
AP/Galfer 4pot.
AP/Galfer 4pot.
PC160005a.jpg (150.28 KiB) Viewed 3948 times
This is what pads look like.
This is what pads look like.
PC160004a.jpg (168.04 KiB) Viewed 3950 times
I just posted these race Wilwoods for their sheer size!
I just posted these race Wilwoods for their sheer size!
PB260006a.jpg (100.54 KiB) Viewed 3951 times