constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

Brake Booster? Anything that can replace it?

Post by constantinemacris »

I have been having trouble with my brake booster. It has been sporatic. Sometimes it would work, other times not. You can feel when it kicks in but never really happens in a predictable manner. It also won't feel like it is really doing as much as it should when it is working. I remember stopping used to be like pulling my eyes out, now it just stops, sometimes not well.
Could I be on the wrong track and should I be looking at other issues than the booster? I replaced all the pads and such and have blead the brakes many times with no air escaping.

Has anyone put in different booster or MC?
Thanks
Dean
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

u probably have already done so but are u sure the hose from the booster to the intake plenum is not cracked or leaking. personally ive never had trouble with boosters themselves before. having said that if it is infact your booster y not just replace with another standard one. shouldnt cost much.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

No cracks or leaks, Greg's red silicone!
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

So anyone know another booster or must i stick with the stock one?
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

dean,
you can use an old bimmer piece (e30)... cheap for sure... search ebay. you will see that they look like the old school alfetta boosters.
v
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

look
Barry wrote:Joey,BMW e30 BB is a direct bolt on.So is thr e34 525 BB.VW Jettais another bolt on(late model)So is new Fiat Palio .
The best one is the BMW e30.Master cyl. again,BMW E30 and VW.There are plenty others to use as well..Some Mercedes BB and M/cyl as well-used this in the 3.8l 24v blue car.

Barry
even barry pity's the fool
v
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

I got that booster. It doesn't seem to fit with the clutch cylinder
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

constantinemacris wrote:I got that booster. It doesn't seem to fit with the clutch cylinder
post a pic.
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

hmm, i just got mine in the mail today. it looks big but i have to check the fit.
v
btw, cleaniedeanie is genious i will be buying a tshirt!
pancho
Gold
Gold

Post by pancho »

Is this what you guys are taling about ?

http://replacement.car-stuff.com/parts/ ... -stuff.com

Pretty pricey !
PanchoRama

From the great master Del Compo "so, wat you wan doin?"

High Five. Sexy Time. You Lose
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

I got mine off ebay. Have not had a chance to put it in yet but it looks really big. Don't know if it will clear the clutch cylinder
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

i found a pic of what appears to be the girling servo we are talking about. i have not put mine on either.
v
Attachments
2_968.jpg
2_968.jpg (151.92 KiB) Viewed 15768 times
Keith
Silver
Silver

Post by Keith »

Another thing to check is the booster check valve on the plenum. On the GTV6 and Milano these tend to get clogged internally because of the location on the plenum(Spiders use the same valve just located different on the intake manifold), just clean it out with carb cleaner. This could cause the sporadic problems you described.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

I was looking at the remote dual-booster setups on the older Bertone GTV and other 105 cars and was wondering the same thing; is there some sort of a remote booster option that will allow for an after-market/remote setup to be used on a GTV6!?

As far as the options from the cross-referenced boosters mentioned above (since I have been kicking this one around quite a bit here as of late with various 24 valve conversions in the works), there is one major issue;

On the two 3.7 Milanos this is not an issue - we're converting from boosters to dual master set-ups with adjustable bias-bar adjustment.

On the US-model Milano Verdes and Platinums with ABS the 24 valve heads also clear the compact, square ABS set-ups just fine!

On the lower-end non-ABS Silver and Gold model Milanos, as well as on all GTV6s, that standard Ate booster sticks out too far and hits the left-side head!

In SA a simple swap to a BMW E21, E30 or any of the other boosters mentioned solves the problem, since a flatter booster now stays behind the heads and the larger diameter does not have any obstruction.

The reason that the boosters from these various cars fit so well on RHD South African and British GTV6 cars is just that - they are right-hand drivers! (The clutch masters on those cars are positioned just ahead of the driver with a weird linkage over to the passenger-side - LHS of the car - to operate the brake booster mounted remotely over on that side! (It is the same Ate part number 3.6127-0801.4 part - 124 1 H5F - as on our base-model US cars, but operated remotely!)

The larger diameters of the flat boosters don’t hit anything!

On a US and European model GTV6 for example, the clutch-master is mounted right next to the relatively long (small diameter) standard GTV6 booster (BOTH just ahead of the driver on the left-hand side!) A larger, flatter booster solves the head-clearance issue, but it hits the clutch master - you're trading one problem for another.

I know that there are various combinations of Alfetta pedal-boxes and 164 boosters that solve this problem, but I sure wish that there were a flat, small diameter booster with the same diameter of the standard GTV6 booster so that it sits flatter to the firewall AND still clears the clutch-master right next to it!
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Decided to go with a late Spider booster on the Alfetta pedal-box with no modifications to the pedal-box required from the looks of it.

Prefer the boost-assist engineered for the weight of a Spider or an Alfetta over the levels of boost-assist engineered for the weight of a 164... Agree with Mats/others - running without the booster may not even be half-bad, but this is a road-car, so the Spider booster should be just the right compromise!

Refinished the booster where I cut off the Spider bracket for the clutch master, painted the pedals, new rubbers- just have to blast and paint the pedal box still...
Attachments
Picture 020.jpg
Picture 020.jpg (98.73 KiB) Viewed 15106 times
Picture 021.jpg
Picture 021.jpg (104.48 KiB) Viewed 15108 times
Picture 022.jpg
Picture 022.jpg (113.67 KiB) Viewed 15109 times
Picture 023.jpg
Picture 023.jpg (108.91 KiB) Viewed 15109 times
Picture 024.jpg
Picture 024.jpg (80.35 KiB) Viewed 15111 times
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...