cchan
Platinum
Platinum

giro disks

Post by cchan »

What are the opinions on Giro replacement brake set up.

Thanks for your opinions.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Seems to be very good, but also very expensive. But good things don't come cheap do they?

I'm currently in the process of using Daniel's bracket, RX-7 4-pot calipers and Supra rotors. I'm going to buy 1 more caliper and rotors in a few days. I already have the brackets machined.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The Giro disk conversion from Group 2 is awesome. The disks are larger and have vent slot at least twice the size of the stock disks. The calipers top quality and the brackets and hardware included looks like it could be used on the Space Shuttle. It even fits inside the stock wheels although just barely. Of course I didn't check every type of stock wheel so it might not fit into all of them.
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Greg,

Any chance of you checking them with 15" Team Dynamics wheels?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I don't have a set of Team Dynamics wheels so no there is zero chance of that. However the experts at Group 2 will probably know.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

SamW,

Call up performatek.com for TD wheels.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

These pictures might help. You can see that the caliper fits closely to the rotor so it only uses up a little extra space. The rotors are about as large as they can be and have a chance of fitting into 15 inch rims.
Last edited by Greg Gordon on Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Post Cancelled
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I already have the wheels, but thought about the brake upgrade, I can call Group 2 since they sell the wheels too. Thanks!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Sam, the TD Pro Race 1 for example in 15 x 7 inch fits perfectly with the G2/GiroDisc brakes...

I run the full G2/GiroDisc setup on my street/track 3.0 (with stock Verde phone-dials) and they are awesome! 2-3 20 minutes sessions, 1 Hour sessions - heavy on the brakes - track with 300 foot elevation change and hair-pin turns at the end of it - no sign of fade...

I am in the process as we speak of working with G2 and GiroDisc to develop an identical, but MUCH larger big-bore version of these brakes for the TA cars!

The rear will be an outboard conversion very similar to what we did using the Praggia setups on the initial build of Jes' 3.7 litre 24 valve Milano here... (By the way; Chris at Praggia is a fucking thief that screwed me out of thousands!) Nice brakes, but out of business. Enough said.

The big-bore G2/GiroDisc promises to be EVERYTHING that we wanted the first iteration to be (and SO much more!) A fully engineered RACE solution with proper twin-master sizing and adjustable bias-control! They WILL require larger rims than 15"...

We should be able to show some samples when Ron Simons from RSRacing and I do the Seattle/California/New York road-trip in January (13th here in Seattle, the 14th at Willow in California and the 20th at Alfa Import Center in Queens) - with a representative from G2/GiroDisc accompanying Ron and I to do this little mini road-show if you will...!
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Sounds good JJ! I really want to do the brake upgrade when you showed them to me at the G2, just wanted to make sure the cleared the 15" TD wheels. Right now I have a few other things to finish, then paint for the car, then I can think about the brake upgrade...