cchan
Platinum
Platinum

GTV6 Master Cylinder

Post by cchan »

I was wondering if I need to change the Master Brake cyclinder to put in a 3.0l 24V in a GTV6. I does not state this in the suggestion under the technical section and I was wondering since it is a 24v is this necessary for clearance?

Thanks for your suggestions and advice. :D
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

cc,No need to change it IF you modify the cam cover as in the pic. 8)
Attachments
DSC00726.JPG
DSC00726.JPG (156.08 KiB) Viewed 11916 times
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

psht.... well we all cant be the BOSS man! if you do not relocate the filler neck you have to use an aftermarket pedal box (like wilwood or tilton) or a skinny alfetta or bmw brake booster (alla e30 or early alfetta gt).
vittorio
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Thanks Barry,

So if I understand this correctly, if the oil filler cap is repositioned out of the master brake cylinder area then everything will fit and will clear without any problems. :D
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Here's another pic...
Attachments
Moved oil filler cap
Moved oil filler cap
lhdbank.JPG (94.98 KiB) Viewed 11874 times
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Thanks for the input. We are moving the cap to the front. A welder is going to fix this issue and the engine is apart as we speak. Going to have the GTA cams intalled and then pictures to follow. Jungle Justice is helping me accomplish this since I don't have enough skill to transfer this myself. I guess we could do it down here but since it was included in the price of the engine I guess I am just lucky. :D
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Where the hell is JJ...tell him to come back home to Alfagtv6 and forget alfaBB! He has a ton of good ideas...
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Well, I am new here since I just decided to restore my Alfa before I go onto other projects. I just met JJ and he seems knowledgable. My take is that some people don't like him for reasons that I am sure are valid to those involved but JJ feels that he needed to resign for whatever reason.

That is why is does not hang out here anymore. Of course, I could be way wrong and my sole pupose on this Forum is to share my Alfa with others and to learn valuable information from everyone here.

Peace :D
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Bernando dont look now but I think that's a pic of your sump plug . Either that or you had the engine installed upside down for some reason- hehe.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

CChan, in case you wanted to use the standard alfa plug lead cover on your cam cover, you need to position the oil filler neck up the top right hand side. See picture.... If not, any where else is fine. Cheers
Attachments
Engine GTV6.jpg
Engine GTV6.jpg (60.31 KiB) Viewed 11836 times
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

I thought something looked wrong MD :P

And WOW Brian, your engine install looks so nice and tidy and clean! I want mine to look like that!

With your coil pack, did your plugs fit properly?

NightSpec
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Hey Bernard,

The fit of the plug leads to the VR6 coil pack isn't good at all. One option was to get the local Bosch guys to refit proper connectors. But I took the short cut and super glued them in :-) Figure I wasn't going to remove them in a hurry. I noticed your mechanic taped them around the coil pack.
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Hey Bernard,

The fit of the plug leads to the VR6 coil pack isn't good at all. One option was to get the local Bosch guys to refit proper connectors. But I took the short cut and super glued them in :-) Figure I wasn't going to remove them in a hurry. I noticed your mechanic taped them around the coil pack.
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Tell me about it, very dodgey.

I might get them re plugged. Its a pity the GoTech wont support individual packs.

NightSpec
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Sorry about the x-post; trying to find solutions here...

I was looking at the remote dual-booster setups on the older Bertone GTV and other 105 cars and was wondering if there was some sort of a remote booster option that will allow for an after-market/remote setup to be used on a GTV6!?

As far as the options from the cross-referenced boosters mentioned before (BMW E30 etc), there is one major issue - the clutch-master!

On the two 3.7 Milanos this is not an issue - we're converting from boosters to dual master set-ups with adjustable bias-bar adjustment.

On the US-model Milano Verdes and Platinums with ABS the 24 valve heads also clear the compact, square ABS set-ups just fine!

On the lower-end non-ABS Silver and Gold model Milanos, as well as on all GTV6s, that standard Ate booster sticks out too far and hits the left-side head!

In SA a simple swap to a BMW E21, E30 or any of the other boosters mentioned solves the problem, since a flatter booster now stays behind the heads and the larger diameter does not have any obstruction.

The reason that the boosters from these various cars fit so well on RHD South African and British GTV6 cars is just that - they are right-hand drivers! (The clutch masters on those cars are positioned just ahead of the driver with a weird linkage over to the passenger-side - LHS of the car - to operate the brake booster mounted remotely over on that side! (It is the same Ate part number 3.6127-0801.4 part - 124 1 H5F - as on our base-model US cars, but operated remotely!)

The larger diameters of the flat boosters don’t hit anything!

On a US and European model GTV6 for example, the clutch-master is mounted right next to the relatively long (small diameter) standard GTV6 booster (BOTH just ahead of the driver on the left-hand side!) A larger, flatter booster solves the head-clearance issue, but it hits the clutch master - you're trading one problem for another.

I know that there are various combinations of Alfetta pedal-boxes and 164 boosters that solve this problem, but I sure wish that there were a flat, small diameter booster with the same diameter of the standard GTV6 booster so that it sits flatter to the firewall AND still clears the clutch-master right next to it!

Brian/Bernard - I noticed that you guys still have the stock boosters on your cars - and yours are RHD!? WTF? On Chuck's car the booster hits A BUNCH - no fit possible there - and the oil-filler neck IS moved!
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...