Dougie
Silver
Silver

GTV6 Master Brake Cylinder Disassembly

Post by Dougie »

Currently placing a new seal kit in my '85 GTV6 MC. As you can see from the attached photo, I've removed the rear circlip and seal and expected the remaining pistons etc to 'pop' out in the normal way. I have also removed the stop bolt from the secondary system
I'm a bit puzzled by the white plastic collar shown in the photo which refuses to move. Can anybody please enlighten me as to the correct next step to remove this, as am loathe to progress further and risk comparison to King Midas's brother.

Thanks
Doug
Attachments
GTV6 Master Cylinder.jpg
GTV6 Master Cylinder.jpg (183.28 KiB) Viewed 4776 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Everyone has there own method but what I do is as follows. Find a steel table and press the piston into the master cylinder near the edge of the table until it is totally in. Slide the master cylinder of the edge of table thus forcing the piston to shoot out. After a few times of doing this it will all come out. Dont break the ears off of the master cylinder on the edge of table . Watch where all the parts shoot off to if it catches you by surprise but you can usually see when its going to come out and finally wright down the sequence and direction of the seals before you take apart. When you assemble dont forget the screw.
Dougie
Silver
Silver

Post by Dougie »

Many thanks, worked perfectly.

I tried a similar approach but without as much force in it - working on the theory that by the time you get to the "get a bigger hammer" stage you are obviously doing something wrong.

Everything came out cleanly as you described, and importantly no damage to the components.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Great. Sometimes it can take twenty severe goes and other times two depending if the Alfa gods are looking down.