AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Rebuilding a GTV6 brake booster???

Post by AlfaTipo »

I have hit and miss (thankfully) brakes. Booster works OK after higher revs but not from after low revs (in traffic etc.). Brake ssytem totally rebuilt other than m/c and booster.

I have cleaned the one-way valve and check it works.

I do get the ominous sounds of a vacuum leak when the throttle is opened (I also have an emissions problem right now, not sure if that is related).

So, given a new booster could cost $US600+ what are the rebuild options? Any?

Anyone got a good used one to sell or a dead one so I can rip it apart?

Jef
Gina 2 roars. Still can't beat OR emmisions. Zeitonix WB next......
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The Booster diapghragm and other bits and pieces may still be available as spare parts. Any good brake machine shop should be able to rebuild it if you can source the parts.

Failing that, it is probable that you could adapt a used booster and master cylinder from a later model car that uses ATE parts, eg Merc, BMW, Audi and the like. Of course, you have to have some skills here to do the job so...have a go and you may learn something in the process and save some bucks

You need to match the parts closely to the GTV units to wind up with comparable performance. Vehicle mass, booster volume and brake cylinder bore...
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Jef,
Just saw your post - I've had this guy's site bookmarked for sometime - don't remember how I came upon it at the time :?: Have no experience with him, but heck it looks like he is even in your town :shock:!

http://www.boosterdeweyexchange.com/

Give him a call and let us know the outcome.

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

Thanks for the info. His location is pretty close. I may check him out although I have a hankering to tear into the busted one.

I swapped out another booster last week and that fixed the main issue.

I shall keep you posted but don't hold your breath.
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com