Brembo 951 calipers + Coleman rotors
Mazda RX-7 F3CS calipers + Supra rotors
Movit DE kit
GTA Brembo calipers + BMW rotors
Volvo 4-pot calipers + stock rotors
Praggia calipers + GTA rotors
etc

I have all photos of mine.

What if we create some kind of .pdf document which has all info regarding our conversions? Some detailed photos and a report on what it involves and how it has performed?

I volunteer to compiler it. Just create some simple text file and attach the photos.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Great - send it to me and I'll add it to the main site Zamani :)
I should have mine pretty well documented here on the forum before its done.
Michael
1981 GTV6
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

What the..!?
Last edited by junglejustice on Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

And just when we thought that it was safe to go back in the water, Group 2 Inc ( www.group2inc.com ) in Seattle launches their new track/street setup!

New Wilwood 4-piston front calipers riding on new 280mm GyroDisc floating aluminium hat vented rotors with Ferrodo pads.

SZ type/size rear vented BUT again - floating aluminium hat - rotors, stock - but rebuilt - 2-piston calipers with spacers, handbrake still funcional and again - Ferodo pads.

Front and rear gets new stainless brake-lines.

Around 1,800 bucks out the door.
MD
Verde
Verde

Brakes

Post by MD »

Hey Zamani, I take my hat off to you for thinking up the collation idea for the brake conversions. A couple of adjuncts could be to review what's been done on the outboard brake front, pad formualtions and fluids to make a complete picture (if that is ever possible) on the brakes topic. Too big an ask? Maybe others could contribute to your efforts?

MD
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
pancho
Gold
Gold

Post by pancho »

Geeze JJ, you do ask for trouble dont you.
PanchoRama

From the great master Del Compo "so, wat you wan doin?"

High Five. Sexy Time. You Lose
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

As regards converting the rear brakes to outboard ... I seriously considered this but I think the choice has to be based on whether or not you can live without your handbrake. Now of course you could rig something up to make the handbrake work with outboard rear disks, but it adds significantly to the complexity of the upgrade. For a track car (like Johan's) it’s a no-brainer, but for a street or multi-use car (like mine), the practicalities intrude sufficiently to make the SZ disks a more attractive option ... imho of course :D
I’d be keen to hear other opinions on this … anyone managed to get a handbrake to work with outboard rear disks?
Michael
1981 GTV6
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

how about adding a small spot caliper from a go-cart or similar? There are some wire-controlled ones available from Wilwood.

Or just get a set of rear calipers with built in handbrake assembly from another OEM application?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Brakes

Post by MD »

Michael,

For the outboard conversion I think one could use the front brakes from an Alfasud which have the handbrake built into them I beleive and they are a bigger pad area as well.
LENZ
Gold
Gold

Post by LENZ »

I'm currently working on outboard rear brakes and i will be using a hydraulic handbrake. The plan is to get it to work with the original handbrake lever.
I'll be using my front brakes in the back, front will be gta disks and calipers.
155 3.0 V6 24v Q2 NovaCorse
jansm
Silver
Silver

Post by jansm »

Ron Simons has come up with a new setup, I have seen no one think of yet. He uses the original caliber and add a bigger disk 305mm and 25mm thick. He's looking for people interessted in a set so he can make a production of 10. take a look at http://www.alfaromeo-performanceparts.c ... =BUDBZQB95

Jan Melzer
Denmark
Alfa 75 QV '91 (my racer)
Alfa 75 V6 '92
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

The 4-pot Praggias that Jes and I will be using for our rear outboard conversions, come with a handbrake gear on both units...

- Basically an extra piston on the one side o the caliper that is actuated by some internal gears and a lever on the outside that hooks up to the stock handbrake....

The other side of the caliper has an extra piston with a push-screw setup to facilitate adjustment. Pretty slick.

Pictures to come...
MD
Verde
Verde

Braking

Post by MD »

Lenz

I know hydraulic handbrakes work extremely well especially in rally applications so I can see your logic there. Did you know that in the main, for street applications this would make it illegal because the machinery departments feel they are not reliable to maintain pressure such as when a car is parked over a long time on a steep hill. I suggest checking with your local authority if its your daily driver as it may even void your insurance.
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Zamani, could you tell me what part number/reference are the Willwood Dynalite calipers? What diameter are those Supra rotors?
LENZ
Gold
Gold

Post by LENZ »

MD
This is no issue for the dutch authorities as long as there is an emergency braking system on the car wich can hold the car on a hill with a certain percentage and it needs to be able to slow the car down at a certain m/s2.
If this is actuated by hydraulics or a cable doesn't matter in holland.
Insurance wise it could void my insurance when an accident is caused by the altered braking system.-
155 3.0 V6 24v Q2 NovaCorse