shures
Gold
Gold

Rear Calipers

Post by shures »

I have stock rear calipers. The hand brake set-up is hanging and since I don't know their history I am planning to rebuild them. I am contemplating going to White Post or someone similar for a brass insert and rebuild. What are others experience with either White Post or any of the Ferrari people that provide the same service?
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Can't comment on those companies, but if you go the the front page of alfagtv6.com and select "tech articles", you'll find one on how to rebuild your rearcalipers.

I did my own using this info & it's pretty straightforward, fwiw at the same time I also added caliper spacers & SZ vented disks for the rear & that was pretty straightforward too.
shures
Gold
Gold

Post by shures »

Steve,

Thanks for the Reply. I too have rebuilt lots of calipers over the years with mostly good results. I am interested in White Post because the brass sleeve they install does not corrode in the presence of water (and brake fluid) and so last and lasts. I have a set of old calipers (not on the car) that show scoring when I run a hone through the cylinder. I am certain they will leak if rebuilt without some metal spraying or sleeving.

The car sees more road miles than track miles and I haven't the inclination to install spacers and vented disks. Do you see much improvement?
Michael Conrey
Silver
Silver

Post by Michael Conrey »

Scott -

Over the past eight years or so I've used White Post to rebuild a master cylinder, one front and one rear GTV6 caliper for me as well as a master cylinder and two wheel cylinders for an antique truck that I have. They are expensive, but my thought is that if I plan to keep the vehicle for a long time (more than 10 yrs?) then it's worth it not to ever have to fool with it again. Due to the expense, I've just been sending them one part at a time as it develops a leak. More of a hassle as I have to keep opening up the brake system every two years or so, but it spreads the cost out over the years.

They are very responsive, thorough and fast. Never heard of anyone having a problem with them.

Michael Conrey
Smithsburg MD

PS - By the way, I'm not too far from you and have two GTV6 parts cars as well as a Milano parts car. Keep me in mind if you ever need any used parts.