Reale
Gold
Gold

ABS question

Post by Reale »

So this raises some questions on my part about ABS. I have never had the opportunity to drive a car with ABS on the track. Do you find that it is helpful with slowing the car in "threshold braking" kind of situations? The idea of holding the pedal firmly to the floor, vice modulating its function is somewhat alien to me, so I imagine it would take some getting used to.
-Al
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

Mats wrote: I just used your opinions on PS and ABS as a base for my arguments, notice how I don't have PS on my cars. I'm just stating that PS is nessesary on some cars and therefore we can't just say it's wrong.

ABS on roads, well, I welcome you two Aussies to visit here during the winter and we will see how you feel about it afterwards, ok? ;)
ABS is the only way you can fully use the traction available since it will continually ajust individual brake pressure for the four wheels (something I find a bit difficult with just the single pedal).
hrmm, good point about inclement weather ! i of course have no idea what you mean. The world has officially gone crazy if it drops below 4C here, thats rare enuff. usually winter is around 12-14C here. Anti-freeze is redundant in other words. My thing is, i dont consider ABS or anything else "wrong", but you can do without.

Sure, there is a use for everything, but lets do something shocking and refer to the thread originator:
zambon wrote:I am not entirely opposed to keeping the anti-lock, on my other verde project I intend to restore the ABS. For this one, however, I have been dreaming of removing unnecessary gadgets from the engine compartment. I mean AC, ABS, and perhaps even power steering (like the Greg´s father´s Verde).
I dont know which will be more cost prohibitive, fixing the ABS (repeatedly?), or biting down hard and getting manual brakes.
He spelt it out for us, yet we managed to go wrong. Bottom line he decided he can do without, but does see merit in keeping it in his other car, ostensibly for its more frequent road use? In any case as you say, there is an application, zambon knows this, but in this case he decided there wasn't, and we simply totally agree:
MD wrote: Notwithstanding I keep this engineering funadamental in mind, "the fewer the moving parts, the greater the reliability". I base my preference on these principles.
Me too ! 8) p/s leaky? SNIP ! problem solved. Not everything can be done in such a manner of course. :oops:
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Guys,

ABS is useful. I don't have it and I wish I did. In emergency situations (like on the road) it's a must. On the track, if somebody cuts you off and brakes early, it's also a must (if you don't react too quickly). Would have saved 2 of my Kumhos :cry:

Case in point DTM, 190E EVO would always get the Alfa 155 on the braking zone. Alfa had 4WD but no ABS.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

joey wrote:
Sure, there is a use for everything, but lets do something shocking and refer to the thread originator:
HAHAHA, classic gtv6.org humour. :D

I'd have to say, Rip it out! :twisted:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Came in rather late here-The current Alfa Squadra Corse Team asked me 3 weeks ago if I would do the ABS systems as I had planned 1and1/2 years ago..This is for the 3 147gta cars racing here..Its taken them this long to realize that the Bimmers and even the Ford (quiet Z.-no chirps here....)is outbraking them consistently every time..There is time to be had with ABS around a track.Time comes from better braking and the driver being able to take advantage of the fact...Z,both ways will work fine for you,ABS will help more,but solid braking gives you as driver so much more to work at..Its fun,cause if your trying very hard,your probably going to fall off........
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Found some instructions for this brake conversion:

http://www.clutchout.com/content/view/42/47/
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Why not give the brake booster a warm "fuck off" while you're at it? :D

My racecar is booster free and it is delicious. :)
But then again, so is the 75 t (with booster).

Hmm, my point? I need more coffee, or less.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

cheers for the page zambon,

"After limping home I replaced the pump for $800 (rebuilt units are not available) and stopping ability returned to normal.

Well the pump is five years old again and the master cylinder ten (MCs go for around $1800--again rebuilt units are not available), "

holy... whaaa is he serious about the cost, or is this a typical alfa larrikan complaining about the cost? If true, thats rediculous, and a decent argument to ditch the system.. $1800 would buy a serious BB kit.

Mats, i'm sure you'll know, but does the wilwood MC bolt right up to our Boosters? AND is the v6 booster easily replaced by the "normal" 2.0 alfetta. The cost for the new v6 is stupid expensive, whereas the 2.0 is reasonable.. i dont really understand why alfa went with that behemoth of a brake booster, the normal one will do for stock brakes and a 1" MC right?

sorry for thread jack, old skool gtv6.org poster here. :roll:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I have honestly no clue what the MC on a ABS car looks like and I was under the impression that the MC (on the non ABS) are the same on 75s and GTVs...

Wilwood? no clue. Do they have the type of dual MCs we need (or do you need twins and a balance bar)?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

Mats wrote:I have honestly no clue what the MC on a ABS car looks like and I was under the impression that the MC (on the non ABS) are the same on 75s and GTVs...

Wilwood? no clue. Do they have the type of dual MCs we need (or do you need twins and a balance bar)?
hrmm, sorry mats i was under the impression you were running wilwood.

ok.,. this is way off topic for poor zambon, i'm starting another thread.. three is a whole ist of question i want answered re: booster and MC solutions.

pls go here:

http://alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p= ... ec972#4521
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Nah, stock stuff is ample for my little carby 2.0. :)
Managed to lock the wheels at around 150Km/h this Sunday so there is nothing wrong with braking power, ruined a couple of tires though. :/
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Those prices are the real s***. Although they are not current. Most likely those parts are more expensive now, if they are even available. I have been told a few times that a new abs mc goes for around $2000us. These parts can be found in junk yards and so forth, however. Still, using expensive used brake components with unknown history is sort of depressing. My nice verde (grey) has a bad electropump and it came with a junk yard replacement. The previous owner of the car reportdly paid around $300 for the thing. I assume it works (have not installed it yet) but for how long? Just the accumulator costs $295, although, as Peter noted, the identical Buick reatta accumulator can be purchased through GM for $100.

This is one system I will be happy to do without. I am depressed about the 12 hour time estimate on that page :( Oh well.