Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

Sorry Joe
Car has been off the road since January for major overhaul (3.0 24v, roll cage etc) and I never got around to putting on a bigger m/c. I am definitely looking to go to at least 25mm but lots of work to go at this stage.
Looking at being back on the road in late August so I'll need to get one by then.
I've heard that the VW Kombi has a 25mm that is a bolt on to my GTV2.0 booster - I'll look into that.

D
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

lol, no worries.

man i just need access to an alfetta brake booster and i'm set... i'm happy to flat out buy the wilwood and see if it works...

anyone in oz got a spare?

a pedal box is a great idea with indy mcs for front and rear, that would be great.. not sure if its a road legal deal... gotta try a manual brake setup one of these days...
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
MD
Verde
Verde

Braking

Post by MD »

Hey Joey,

Leave the vacuum hose off and develop white knuckles and muscles in your brownies as a bonus . :D :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

yep i kno thnx.... very little time to tool around, and i really dont wanna do that to my daily (nissan bluebird)...

maybe i will... one of these days...

the other thing is another project is diverting me and my money for the big brake conversion, hopefully i'll post all about it in a month or so...

*kinda* related to alfas.. or at least the wheels, lol...
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Daniel wrote: I've heard that the VW Kombi has a 25mm that is a bolt on to my GTV2.0 booster - I'll look into that.

D
aussies so quick to take the piss out ya :D

guess that kombi radiator would do wonders in a gtv too
think of the weight saving :wink:
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

lol matt, i dont think he's kidding....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... linder.htm

looks familar eh?

dan, let us know !! 8)
LENZ
Gold
Gold

Post by LENZ »

Whats a Kombi, haven't ever heard of a VW Kombi in europe.
I just ordered a E32 7 series MC , we will see if it's a straight fit. 2 outlets instead of 3 but that'won't be a problem.
155 3.0 V6 24v Q2 NovaCorse
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Sorry daniel thought you were taking the piss out me :shock:
i'll get round to putting this 25mm MC on next couple of weeks

here is some info of interest re front rear bias, MC and adjustable bias valves etc
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/pro ... valves.htm
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

No probs Matt, it does sound dumb but it is true.

Joe, I have a spare 2.0 booster in good condition and a dead one. Reco kits are expensive, so I'm not sure I want to give up the good one. As mentioned earlier in the thread, E30 BMW seem to be a go and may be easier to get. Let me know if you don't have any luck.
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

yo dan,

i didn't even know rebuild kits where available for the 116 series...

how much is expensive.. i know you can buy a brand new 2.0 booster from IAP for around 170USD.. for the v6.. dont ask !! :shock:

the bung one would do me fine, its just fitment... i'll have a look around first and let you know when i actually get around to doing it...

The wilwood MC option appeals to me since kits or new replacements will almost always be available and for a much fairer price than OEM. Your pick of bore too.

Did you spot the link i gave was actually a link to an nz auction? only $60NZ brand new, so thats only about $3.50 in aussie currency ! could be what you're looking for...

cheers,

joe
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Hey Lenz MC does fit booster fine, hope you have better luck finding T fitting for front brake lines the only i could get my hands on doesn't allow for the slight extension on the ATE fittings see photo so I've had to take front brake lines off the car and get ends flared with correct T fitting nut.
No one has responded about the booster pusher rod to MC sleeve length either (Daniels VW option in this regard no problem) so i'll let ya know how it goes soon. Apology for photo quality took em at night.
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Done :) well almost, didn't finish bleeding rear DAMN#@$^ brakes before having to go to work but booster push rod to MC sleeve seems fine so thats it for now :wink:
Reservior cleaned up really well after a couple of nights in Coke :shock:
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

Great work matt, looks good and is a workable solution for 25mm brake MC, finally some progress in this area.. :D

i'm looking at the nissan bluebird (altima) mc and booster setup. A fairly common car in the states (cheap new parts!) with MCs that come in 1" and 15/16" flavours. A tokico unit i beleive. Could be a straight swap too... will look into it, as i actually have one of these !!

heh :lol:

Cheers,

joe
LENZ
Gold
Gold

Post by LENZ »

Great matt, today i got my 730i mc, exactly the same as yours. Compared it with the OEM ATE and i'm sure it's a straight fit.
I cleaned the reservoir, but it's not as clean as yours so i'll use the coke trick thanks.
I'll buy a t fitting at the local autosport shop goodridge and hope it fits the oem fittings and use a flex line to be fitted to the MC.
155 3.0 V6 24v Q2 NovaCorse
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Finished :D pedal FIRM! and minimal travel, bites or starts braking at soon as you touch the pedal and 1/4 to a 1/3 of pedal travel you are braking really hard!
But at first i was dissapointed with the pedal travel because after bleeding the brakes many times and my garage a mess with spent brake fluid bottles and being sure there was no air in brake lines the amount of pedal travel was still unaceptable.......what next? :? (even with 34 PSI i was still pissed off trying to get pedal firm)
The brake pedal was very firm from a bit more than 1/2 travel but before this point it wasn't spongy or anything to indicate air still needed to be bled. There just was nothing happening that first 1/3 or so of travel. :shock: So i measured depth of MC sleeve that booster pusher rod goes in to and it was almost the same depth(1-2mm difference) as OEM one????? but i also noticed the whole 25mm MC was about an inch longer in total than the OEM MC so decided to put some spacers/shims on the booster pusher rod to test and BINGO!! pedal FIRM and minimal travel, bit too much with 8mm of shims as brakes dragged slightly, 7mm still just there, 5mm perfect :D
So i think the BMW booster must have a slightly longer travel than the GTV booster even though the depth of the MC sleeve for the pusher rod is almost the same??????OR the BMW booster push rod is thicker and seats in the 25mm MC at a certain point so when the thinner GTV one is used it seats a little further down in the MC so some amount of pedal travel is required for the push rod to make contact with the 25mm MC seat ?????? This is my humbe theory anyway
5mm made all the difference here
Brakes feel great now
All the best
Matt