Murray
Verde
Verde

Rear brake adjustment

Post by Murray »

Looking for experienced opinions.
I used to own a garage with lifts and all this was easy.Now I'm working on my bad back with car on jackstands and the thrill is gone ! Just installed new rear pads and in the past I've followed the sage advice of inserting two .002" feeler gauges between pads and disc to set the gap.Now that I'm older and lack patience I find getting these paper-thin gauges up there, keeping them there and adjusting the piston position is enough to make me want to go and drink a lot of red wine ! So I just wanted to float this method and get told that I'm a moron and shouldn't own an Alfa :lol:
What could possibly go wrong if I simply bring the pads into contact with the discs so that the wheel no longer rotates and them back off just a bit so that there is no interference ?
Fire away.
Last edited by Murray on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: Rear brake adjustment

Post by Jim K »

What could possibly go wrong if I simply pring the pads into contact with the discs so that the wheel no longer rotates and them back off just a bit so that there is no interference ?

That's exactly how most people have been doing it for years...AND IT WORKS! 8)

Jim K.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Well I can certainly qualify yours as an "experienced opinion".Thanks Jim.You do realize that you've eliminated my excuse for guzzling red wine ha! Hope all is well in Greece.You ever come back to Montreal for a big thick steak made from Alberta beef ? Sorry I know that probably hurts.

Murray
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Ahhh, you know it does! :lol: Fortunately, I can find 1-1.5kg steaks easily here. Pretty soon that's all I'll be munching on, as I will again have to lose ~10hp -sorry, kg!- a yearly occurrence!. Greeceland isn't doing too well financially,what with the useless commie government we have. Good thing I'll be 64 this year and will apply for Cdn old age pension. I hope its $20k a month right? 8)
Speaking about rear brakes, I measured disc temperatures at the track many years ago and determined there's no use in converting to SZ-type ventilated discs -although I have the complete kit new in a box. Outboard brakes were -in my opinion and some factory feedback- a move for easier inspection and pad changes. Of course, bigger fronts is another matter, as I measured -what I thought was amazing- 115*C on the wheels! I must remember to measure again next time. I'm curious what the big series Brembos and 166 discs will show.

Jim K.