matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Wilwood calipers & SZ rotors, geeez i'd like my rear brakes too :D Micke did you put adj' bias valve near MC in engine bay or was it non "knob" style one (PBR do one that can adjust by turning nut) in place of OE bias valve. I assume the OE bias valve must be removed when installing an adustable one.?
this one in eng' bay prob best way to go?
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

There must be pics of the brakes lying around here. The OE valve must out. The knob I put in you can see here:
http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=565
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Exactly what I have too, and it's visible onthat same page (partly behind the steering wheel on the pic)

Come on Micke, if you don't have the standard calipers you don't have the disgusting problems do you? :P
The position is really only 1/3 of the problem, the rest is the friggin' calipers which probably will only work like intended in a carefully climate controlled lab...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Njaaahh.....

I hate to admit it but back in the days having OE caliper I seriously planned to make a huge hole in the trunk for maintenance.

If the calipers are OK the brakes are not that bad. The pads are on the small side for track drivign of course.

A problem in many Alfas I've seen is that someone didn't catch how the hand brake adjustment works and somehow managed to destroy it.

I guess I'll be back here cursing with you guys once I have time to start building my Alfetta GT. (The Q4 and GTJ are still in line before so don't sit up waiting)
Reale
Gold
Gold

rear calipers

Post by Reale »

If you don't need a handbrake, there are some less clunky and 1.5lb lighter VW calipers that go right on, and use the same pads. No adjusters.
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Who has a handbrake? ;)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Reale
Gold
Gold

rear brakes

Post by Reale »

Exactly!
Besides, using the handbrake just makes the rear pads wear out faster.
It is those stupid, leaky adjusters that I was really happy to be rid of.
-Al
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Mats wrote:Who has a handbrake? ;)
I have :evil:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

Maurizio, use a line lock. I will......... You know, what those dragsterboys use. Press the brake pedal, close the line lock and voila, a working handbrake.......
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yeah, I got one too, and never had any problems with the calipers. Of course, I never use the handbrake unless I absolutely have to! Rear pads are DS2000, front DS2500 and while I have the Wilwood bias valve sitting at home, I can't convince myself I really need the damn thing! I just can't complain about something the car does in the track that is wrong. If I brake too hard going IN a corner, the fronts lock up. Now if the bias valve literature promised another 10hp...it would be a different thing!
Maybe a fully loaded 75 America with all bumper weights and everything else, goes real well with the stock bias valve!
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

How about if you used 95% available brake force at the rear instead of 50%? No gain there? Try calculating those Hp figures and I'll guarantee it's a lot more then a measly 10Hp. ;)
Then do the same but in rainy conditions...
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Ah, the rain! When I showed up in a rainy track day here, man, I could have set my car on fire! :x Hard suspension and semi-slicks (Bridgestone 540S), endless 4 wheel drifting even from 0kph! Like driving on ice! :cry: A bog stock 75 3liter with new Potenza 720's was rocketing aroung IN THE RAIN...I was sooooo pissed off!!!!!!!!! :twisted: Believe me it was the wrong time to test brake bias!
How did I cure that? Simple: stay home when it rains, I don't care who you are, you can't drive a hard beast quickly in the wet (Forget the lecture about softening the suspension, lets be practical here, you drive to the track to drive for a few minutes-5 laps-you're not about to spend an hour underneath disconnecting bars!) you just wait for the dry days and beat the crap out of everybody, heheh! :twisted: :twisted:
Jim K.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Jim,

I really hope you change your attitude for the ring or you won't be doing much driving as it's usually raining.

BTW, are U sure you have enough braking power rear as well?
If the fronts lock up in a corner under heavy braking (when you already have lateral load transfer) you probably need more rear bias. Remember, the OE thing is designed for 150% safety.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

PS! hanbrake issue.

Race: If rules don't require it - junk it
Street: Mechanical hanbrake required in most countries.
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

Micke wrote:PS! hanbrake issue.

Race: If rules don't require it - junk it
Street: Mechanical hanbrake required in most countries.
exactly, which is why i'm looking for some modern rear caliper to work on the gtv6 setup, outboard if need be.
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."