gtv6sa
Silver
Silver

Re: In the build...? Anything new being done..?

Post by gtv6sa »

If you intend to drive 'hard; , you will definitely need engine oil coolers as well as a gearbox coller. i have raced for over 10 years and have had no failures. A must if you are doing long distance racing i.e over 1 hour at any one time, another important thing is use a good synthetic oil such as neo which will handle the high temps.The first indication of when you will need a gearbox cooler is when the transaxle begins to ;grow; i.e. expand due to high temps and it is difficult to down change or get into gear. another telltale sign is when oil comes out of the gearbox breather!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Of course I use an oil cooler (13-row unit) along with a thermostatic sandwich plate which was reworked for best flow -quite a bit of detail work needed there. I believe oil cooler use is imperative in performance engines.
I have not installed a gearbox cooler as even after 30-40 hot laps there is no adverse indication from the gearbox; I use Valvoline 80w90 LSD gear oil.
Jim K.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Question for you Jim K,
On your modified 3 litre 12 valve engine that you have shared with us, are you still using the standard airflow meter with your remapped Motronic?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yes, I still use the Motronic ML4.1 system with a remapped ecu. However, note this is the system from the 164 Quadrifoglio 12v engine (1990-1992) which uses the larger afm 0280203035 and the 0261200130 ecu. This engine (AR064301) was rated at 200bhp.
I recently bought an Adaptronic E420C ecu but I'm getting a bit fed up with it all...One thing at a time, I'm waiting for the custom valves to continue the new 12v.
Jim K.
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Jim well done with getting a e420c!!

Very nice, they are a great ecu and amazing value for money. :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Maybe, but like I said, the urge is gone...maybe it's an age thing...if I can get the new engine to run well with a remapped Motronic, I probably won't bother with the e420c. I have to get the book material out by end of year (there it goes again!) and that's final. Then I'll be a FREE man! Free, with a bunch of 75's and a bunch of engines! Maybe I should start my own junkyard :lol:
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jim , that the best news we heard. This book could not come sooner with our build of a 75 milano motor for road/track. Otherwise we be forced to come and kidnap you for free acomodation here for world cup (thats if you like soccer) or to sample our haloumi.
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Damn thats a shame to hear, your engines would be welcome here in Melbourne i'm sure.

Even the 75's...send an email to afew wreckers here and put them all in a container to off load.

The features of the Adaptronic would certainly outweigh the motronic i'm sure..but if your batterys are tired then fair enough...

I cant believe my situation at the moment, bent valves and no cash to get her fixed, spent all my moula on getting her boosted, lost my job from the surgery i've recently had, and recovery is slow, so very frustrating.
Just spent an hour in the garage walking around the car and doing little things...dying to drive her again, hate seeing it just collecting dust, arrrgh. :cry:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Not entirely GTV oriented but close enough.

We dynoed a stock 164Q4 24 valve 3.0 some weeks ago. With and without Squadra chip. Not very surprisingly the chip didn't deliver even close what it was supposed to. Graph attached.
Q4 dyno.jpg
Q4 dyno.jpg (25.97 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
Now the heads for mine are ready and they flow like crazy. There is potential for almost anything.
Flow graph Q4.jpg
Flow graph Q4.jpg (21.57 KiB) Viewed 5336 times
The stock intake manifold seems to do it's job well. Flows enough for my goal.
According to simulation software the headers are insufficient. Unfortunately there's not much room to improve the rear one much. If it's at all bigger than now it has to be inserted and removed with the engine (and gearbox). The stock one is possible to remove with the starter motor which already is a hell of a job.

The pistons are in and ready. The heads are going on within days. Hope to have the engine mounted in some weeks. The hoist is occupied now so it will wait.
Pistons are 101 mm from Germany and the rods the "JK's" from UK.
Piston + Rod.jpg
Piston + Rod.jpg (8.87 KiB) Viewed 5336 times
Pistons in block.jpg
Pistons in block.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 5337 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Interesting, the dip is knocking issues I presume?
Is this engine for one of your Q4s?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Micke wrote:We dynoed a stock 164Q4 24 valve 3.0 some weeks ago. With and without Squadra chip. Not very surprisingly the chip didn't deliver even close what it was supposed to. Graph attached.
What a huge suprise........... :roll:
It's like improvements from aftermarket airfilters, not really there without some creative manipulation of supposed dyno readouts :wink:

Care to share where the cylinder liners come from :wall: ?
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

I think the dip in the Squadra chip is just bad programming. Mabe it tries to advance too much and knocks. Gasoline was 98 oct as it should. These are both driven within 15 min. The stock curve is probably due to the horribly short exhaust primaries and intake.

The 3.5 is coming into a Q4. Most likely one of the new ones which is technically best of them.

BTW, maybe something to learn from this:
2 of the 3 Q4's I've bought came with "spare parts" in the trunk. The first one cams and stuff. One of the last ones "only" 12 (six intake and 6 exhaust) S shaped valves.
Almost identical story.... sad one for the owners
1) Cam belt broke or jumped
2) Repaired but gone wrong
3) Lotsa loot used to repair the stuff and when it still loses the water in the oil the owners get fed up and sell the shit. (for less than the repair cost)
4) I buy and deal with the problems. One case likely sleeves came up durin repair. The other one was made by a "alfa mechanic as he said himself" and this guy didn't spare on mounting sand in the engine. Also found paper in the engine.
Rag in engine.jpg
Rag in engine.jpg (118.93 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
Heads were at half the torque they should. Starter cable wasn't fastened but ground against the chassis catching fire.
Q4 Starter.jpg
Q4 Starter.jpg (85.4 KiB) Viewed 5292 times
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Piston and liners came from http://www.ps-schulze.de/
Pistons are stamped AW-Delta so they come from there. I asked them too but they didn't offer sleeves.

I wanted to buy from AH Motorsports but they were too busy to send me an invoice. Horrible attitude to customers. I won't ask them anything again.

We are considering creating a piston and sleeve package which wouldn't cost as horribly as these ones. It's just in planning though.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Micke, what you using for head gaskets. Its always interesting to see how other people get around the issue for water to flow around liners into the head through port holes in gaskets. Thank goodness I have finally gort no issues there anymore but to a lot of sets of gaskets to get it right. Now its bullet proof.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

I got head gaskets with the pistons & sleeves. I need to check before mounting the heads that everything looks fine. Any hints what to look for not to get unexpected trouble?

It also looks bloody tight with water around the sleeves. I hope it's sufficient but have no experience in it whatsoever.