<  Performance  ~  166 24v into 116 GTV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:56 am
User avatarGoldGoldJoined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:16 pmPosts: 99
Wow, those Toyota discs are so inexpensive, incredible. They come in both rubber and alu... wonder what problem they were trying to solve with the aluminum. Guess I have some Googling to do.

Interesting video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPddmvjB3bE

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:57 pm
User avatarVerdeVerdeJoined: Sun May 08, 2005 11:56 pmPosts: 753Location: Netherlands
Bmw and Mercedes use a rubber as a front coupling in the propshaft. That piece of the shaft exactly points to the carrier bearing in the middle of the shaft. There is very minimal movement opposed to the alfa front donut. They generally last a very long time. At our driftcars we have never needed to replace one and those cars are abused all the time. We've put 490hp on old original bmw flexdiscs and they survived it...

If it was just rpm and centrifugal forces there should be problems with all three guibos in the alfa propshaft. However in most cases it's just the front one that gives up. That's why I'm convinced that the twisting in the guibo is bad and affects it's livespan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:49 pm
User avatarVerdeVerdeJoined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:56 amPosts: 765
I've had center guibos blow up too though. I had the thick center guibo because my driveshaft didn't have the splined yoke in the front.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:13 pm
GoldGoldJoined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:46 pmPosts: 163
Centre guibo only explodes if it's twenty years old !
My old race car with the 3.7 in it I made new engine mounts and lasered it up to the gear box . Then braced the engine so it could not twisted and bolted the box mounts . Their was no vibration of any sort at high rpm and that prop with the cage and BMW centre guibo lasted 4 years with me and it's still going strong with the guy who still races that car in SA but it has 3.0 motor now . It definitely worked for me .

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:24 pm
Some old pics of my engine mounts and using a block with no sump on to get a perfect centre line to the gearbox. The viewing hole was drilled in front of car as in pics .
The old link
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3576&start=165
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 103.81 KiB | Viewed 375 times ]

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 47.71 KiB | Viewed 375 times ]

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 33.93 KiB | Viewed 375 times ]

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:32 pm
VerdeVerdeJoined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:10 amPosts: 1692Location: Athens,Greece
I was right then when I fixed a laser pointer on the 24v flywheel and moved engine mounts around a bit (by enlarging slots). However, I figured that under power, The gearbox nose moves up, so I aimed for ~10mm higher than the bellhousing center. Still works great, no vibes. 8)
Merry Christmas everyone!

Jim K.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:35 pm
Kev,

Emailed you a week or two ago. Waiting for response on the guibo cages.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:19 am
Hi Z , I'm getting onto it now . Just packing to go to South Africa on Tuesday as folks not well but nothing to serious.
I have the cages sitting here with me in UK and ready to send . I will email you . Z by the way you don't have any family in UK I can post it to ?
Been having fun loading up loads of parts for my dads spider that unfortunately had a massive engine fire , so gonna be interesting how I go through customs.
There is also loads of racing next week in SA so should get some good pics to post.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:38 am
Hey Kev,

No worries.

Used to have an uncle in Sheffiield but he left. No fam there anymore.

I could pick it up in June, but I want to get the car to the race at Buttonwillow in May. I'll pay for shipping etc. If you come back in early Feb, you can mail it then.

Offline Profile