Andy Happel
Silver
Silver

Performance Camshafts

Post by Andy Happel »

I am preparing to purchase new camshafts for my 3.0L GTV6. My question is: What options are available for my application? Sperry - Alquiti - C&B - ? My car specs are listed below. I intend to use the car mostly for street duty with the occasional track day and autocross. I will also be installing a programmable engine management system to make the best use of the modifications. The future may hold some type of forced induction (Greg's supercharger or possibly twin turbos), but that remains to be seen.

Specs:
3.0L engine from 164L
10:1 S pistons
Mild porting of heads and intake runners (mainly clean up work)
Alfa Heaven modified ECU and AFM
Ansa headers

Thanks
Andy Happel
84 GTV6 3.0L
03 Suzuki SV650S
Mericet
Gold
Gold

Post by Mericet »

Get hold of junglejustice on this board. He should be able to help you.

What class are you planning on running in autocross?
Neil C.

85 GTV 6 "Benna della ruggine e mangiatore dello zoccolo"
Andy Happel
Silver
Silver

Post by Andy Happel »

I have ran the car in STS in the past (street touring, - street tire), with limited success. The GTV6 isn't the best autocross car, it is much better suited to a road coarse.
Andy Happel
84 GTV6 3.0L
03 Suzuki SV650S
Mericet
Gold
Gold

Post by Mericet »

Andy Happel wrote:I have ran the car in STS in the past (street touring, - street tire), with limited success. The GTV6 isn't the best autocross car, it is much better suited to a road coarse.
I am guessing the shortcomings is primarily in the gearing of the gearbox? I am planning to run mine in STS next year and would appreciate any advice in setup, etc.

Of course this would be different for me anyways as I have run in ESP and SM2 the last 2 years in a 92 Camaro RS and a 02 Camaro Z28 respectively.
Neil C.

junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Thanks Mericet...

Andy, for example; I have helped a few guys out here with big-bore engine conversions from South Africa - home to some of the fastest Alfas in the world...

One thing that I would suggest is looking at your total engine performance budget - early on - and consider a complete engine package including custom headers and larger plenum/intake runners, larger capacity (3.2, 3.45 or 3.7 litres), 12 valve-24 valve conversion with cams specific to that motor, a tuned and ready, fully programmable engine management system that can handle both timing and fueling etc etc.

Naturally, SCCA-sanctioned participation rules (if that is where you are going) come in to play.

As far as just cams or heads - I have a couple sets of exchange Group 1 cams for 12 valve or GTA cams for 24 valve here with me, as well as complete Group 1 spec exchange heads with the same cams already set up, for 2.5 or 3.0 litre sub-assemblies.

Suspension-wise; the RSRAcing kit from Ron Simons in the Netherlands (tuned at the demanding Nurburgring in Germany) is very well documented here.

Feel free to email me off-forum at www.glenwoodalfa.com and I will be happy to help with what I can, or call me on the cell at 425.941.4747.
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Andy Happel
Silver
Silver

Post by Andy Happel »

Thanks for the responses. JungleJustice - I will email you more details off-forum.

As far as the short comings of the GTV6 at an autocross, a lot of it was due to me having to compete against former nantional champions in dedicated racecars with my street GTV6. Other disadvantages include, gearbox, lack of anitock brakes, no limited slip diff, and very tight low speed coarses. The dedicated autocross cars are set up with lots of oversteer to help the car rotate, tons of negative camber, front and rear, and other things that aren't practical for a street car. Compared to the other guys, the GTV6 was heavy and cumbersome.

btw, I am running the Shankle Sport swaybars, torsion bars, and springs with adjustable AVO shocks
Andy Happel
84 GTV6 3.0L
03 Suzuki SV650S
Mericet
Gold
Gold

Post by Mericet »

Seems like we are lucky here in OVR. Some really fast guys too but we do not always have tight courses. The Z28 I am co-driving this year is actually very neutral in setup and we sometimes run near the top of 2nd gear (about 75mph) on our courses. I thought the GTV6 would have the problems you mentioned and I will keep you posted on my STS progress next year (if I get her back together in time). Ultimately I think the GTV6 would become a track only car for me. :D
Neil C.