Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: JK's v6 book

Post by Jim K »

Hi Z,
Pistons from CPS (Italy), JK rods, 37mm intake valves (in place of 35.6), ~11.5:1 CR, M3 cam profiles (11.3mm lift) with modified followers for mechanical operation. I'm not buying any expensive kits for this last one but I'll do my own mod, one that has worked perfectly so far in other hydraulic engines: disassemble the follower, tight fit a Teflon sleeve inside it, in the middle of which there's a short piece of 8mm valve stem. Under this I use std 8mm TS valve adjusting shims and these contact the 24v valve tips. Note that the shims are upside down but there's no issue there as required clearance is ~0.3mm. My only problem now is to find suitable valve springs as the std ones allow a max of 10.7mm safe lift (installed height -coil bind = 11.7mm minus at least 1~1.5mm for safety = ~10.5mm). Here's the biggest challenge though: I want to use the 164 3liter 24v block for all this! Therefore, to go 3.2, I am getting a 3.2 crank which at this point I don't know whether it fits into the old block! You see, I definitely want to use the old oil pump and sump arrangement. I remember when I first tried the JK rods in the 3liter, there were points where rod/block clearance was very tight. Therefore, I expect problems with the 3.2 crank. However, I am even prepared to cut holes in the block and reweld to make things fit! We'll see how it goes! I'll find someone around here with a loose crank and will borrow it for a trial first fit. I don't suppose anyone has tried this and can save me some time by answering the fit question?
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Jim,

Remember Baz built Kevin's 3.2? I saved all the photos and he had to make a few small pieces to make everything work, but no mention of interference with the crank. But the extra throw of the 3.2 with JK rods may need some work. He had to make the flywheel spacer and a spacer for the crank and front cover to fill in the void for where the chain drive was.

Zamani
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Excellent guys, thanks!
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hold fire one second . When I did 3.7 motor also on 164 block the same spacer did not fit due to different pulley and pulleycoverbeen used on 3.2 from Barry. I had already assembled motor when discovered this as pulley scraped against cover, so just used a vernier and check depth for and interference fit spacer to be remade. Put bit of locktite grey inside fit incase oil seep through. Check your whole set up for bellt for water pump and pulley. Even though it can take 7 pk I used 5pm to keep spacing and trigger wheel in the clear.
Need 4 mm spacer rear and different pitch cap screws . Watch out for washes touching each other at the two holes closest to each other. Have to trim both. Torque settings go way out if don't pick this up. Also had to depth check bolts fro flywheel as different.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Thanks Kevin,
I'm using the rwd timing cover and crank pulley, as they were used in 3liter 75's. I'm aware of the flywheel bolt differences; Alfa changed these bolts sometime in 1990. I'm also using the 75 3liter starter motor (2-hole flange).
One question for you Kevin: do you still have those 'Wildcat' exhaust manifolds for the 24v? I think I'll need a set in a few months. If available, please pm details.
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jim, I gave my 24v exhaust template away but I will trace chap down as I still have all the laser cut flanges . I will follow this this weekend
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I'll be waiting; thanks!
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi Jim , This was the last set I made with 41mm od on road car. definatly no shortage of power on this motor. Big Starter clearance.
I will put my neck out here when i have made them . All you have to do is send a courier to collect at your expense. I will Pm you address , weight , size.
Attachments
jimk41mm2.jpg
jimk41mm2.jpg (81.85 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
jimk41mm1.jpg
jimk41mm1.jpg (84.27 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hi Kevin, I have sent you 2 pm's but they seem to get stuck in the 'outbox', I don't know why. Please pm me a phone number and the hours I can call you.
Thanks,
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi Jim , I am on this email 24hrs Kevin@chimescranes.co.za Drop me a mail and can set up from there
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

JimGreek wrote:Hi Kevin, I have sent you 2 pm's but they seem to get stuck in the 'outbox', I don't know why. Please pm me a phone number and the hours I can call you.
Thanks,
Jim K.
They remain there until the reciever read them.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Thanks Mats, one of the -many- things I didn't know! :wink:
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jim , great news for you. I got my 24v exhaust manifold templates back so i can get going with them.
Attachments
jigs24v.jpg
jigs24v.jpg (69.72 KiB) Viewed 5110 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jim what size diampipe after collecter are you gonna use as I have flanges for 50mm and for 57mm.
I have had excellent power on the two 50mm running straight out to side but thats a race car . Are you gonna go from 41mm primaries into collecter then into 50mm afertr collector :?: then the two 50mm converging into 63mm.
Attachments
jkfange.jpg
jkfange.jpg (75 KiB) Viewed 5092 times