Duk
Verde
Verde

Re: Adaptronic...? Or Dizzy...?

Post by Duk »

Garth, you could have given up at any time during the build, so why would you stop now???

Please provide as much information as you can about your engine, these new fuel tuning problems, your crank trigger set up, ignition system, and complete fuel system.

Are you using using the Motronic 60-2 crank angle sensor or a distibutor mounted sensor?

Slyalfa made an excellent point about different drive speeds for the auxillary/oil pump drive.

Did you end up changing to a hall effect sensor?

Is there the possibility of noise getting into the the ignition trigger signal (are you using good quality sheilded cable for the signal line?)

What are the fuel tuning issues that you are having?

Are the fuel pump, filter and fuel line (both delivery and return) known to be good, without any sort of question what so ever? (You wrote that you have had the injectors checked :wink:)

Success is the only choice :wink:
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Adaptronic...? Or Dizzy...?

Post by MD »

Success is the only choice :wink:
TOP POINT !!

We never say die on this Forum !

...or think of it like this.

You sell the car for chicken sheit because you cannot make it work.
Someone with a few clues pics it up and sorts your problems out.
While you are riding on a tram two weeks later, you spot a beautiful GTV6 . It stops next to the tram waiting for the lights to change. They turn green. The tram gets moving but the Alfa is laying a 30m rubber streak up the road with a howl that would wake the dead and the driver has a goofey grin from ear to ear.
The penny drops and you take a second look. Your next experience is wondering why all the passengers are starring at you intently. You quickly realise that you have just finished yelling at the top of your lungs and pointing frantically, THAT'S MY F**KEN CAR DAMN IT !!!!!!

Do you really like trams that much ? :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Re: Adaptronic...? Dizzy? Adaptronic to the rescue!!

Post by GarthW »

Ok, well finally a happpy ending!! :D :D

Believe this or not!! The guys from Adaptronic flew down from from Sydney, friday night, so they could work on my car early next day!! I couldnt be there due to work commitments, but they spent afew hours on it and sorted the fuel map, it made its way to the dyno and spent afew hours on the rollers. I have no power figures, but i was told its making a bucket load of torque well before redline. Mechanic said car is toey, but fun to drive, so light throttle pressure or the rears will simply light up. :twisted:
Anyway i pick up car on Mon, get afew things seen to on it, and drive her home, but of course once fully sorted, its back on dyno once engine is run in and then will wind it up on the dyno, and of course will have footage of that.

So this mini drama/saga is finally, well almost at an end, only little things needed to have it sorted...eg.Plenum chamber is lifting half an inch on boost, have to replace rubbers with new silicone ones to withstand boost,etc,etc.

Then the nightmare of having it engineered!! That can wait till next year... :roll:

Thankyou to everyone who posted their thoughts and ideas..This forum is amazing, thanks again to you all!!

I went through abit of a rollercoaster building this car, i will admit i never did this before, i basically did everything except the wiring of ecu and exhaust..and engine rebuild. Just wanting something so much, and then pulling car off the road showed that i wanted it to happen, of course i didnt have $25k to have a shop do everything for me, so into my friends garage it went, then onto another garage, where i then drove it to another garage to have the ecu fitted. Of course everything is custom made, its fabricated by me and is basically an expression of me. When you have a passion for something, and it starts to go wrong after awhile, of course you get down, it sometimes felt like when you had a girlfriend dump you, a feeling in the stomach...haha well kind of i suppose. All i know is that life is very short, this is just one of the things i've wanted to do, and after 15 months i did it, and what better car to do it too, it screams fucking floor me, inside its telling you to push harder, while at other times and in a more sedate from of mind, i'm happy to just cruise and drive like the elderly....actually i take that back! (Elderly guy spotted in elfin with 5.7 V8 2 days ago) F@*kin fast. And of course this being an Alfa site, i never Capital the first letter of another car manufacturer! :lol:

I just have to say before i end this post, who the hell would have thought, the guys who designed and manufactured the ecu in my car, jumped on a plane and flew interstate to tune my car!! How many people can lay testimate to that!!!!!
In my eyes, big round of applause for Adaptronic...who would have thought.. pissed i wasnt there to take photos, for y'all know i'm happy snappy with the camera!

I must be going, i will post a new thread with video footage next week so you can hear it, apparently exhaust note is very nice.
Thanks again guys, back soon.
Garth.

Had to edit again after seeing MD's message, i'm laughing from reading that, funny as!! But no trams for me, i've been driving, i've got a wicked little Fiat which i've just bought, so the Alfa will be for the weekends....well after i've run it in..... :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Skip the new hoses and add some kind of rigid support for the plenum instead that will take the load rather then the hoses.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Garth: That's very good news. It's pretty normal with these large projects to run into some speed bumps. The guys from Adaptronic shold be commended for their awesome service!

I could never get the stock rubber plenum couplers to hold up long term on a boosted car, so I went with silicone. Problem solved. A solid mount would help the lifting, but the rubber will still fail and leak boost eventually.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Excellent (nearly) end result :D !!!

Nothing better than your own personal efforts (rather than just simply pumping cash into it) all coming together.
That sence of satisfaction just can't be bought 8)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi Garth , even with good plennum rubbers the plennum used to come off and only at the worst possible moment just when you are trying to gap to big trucks up a mountain pass !! All the chaps here have flexible brackets back to the cam cover. And when that does not pop off then the intercooler pipe pops out plennum.
Check it out.
Attachments
new stuff 023.jpg
new stuff 023.jpg (65.6 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Cant see in this pic but will try find another later.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Found it
Attachments
new stuff 015.jpg
new stuff 015.jpg (66.56 KiB) Viewed 5966 times
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Damn i like the reverse plenum!!

Ok, again a quick little update, Plenum chamber is just too small, its affecting the tuning, so next year a custom larger plenum will have to be made.

Thermostat is no more, and as i found out yesterday there are no more available for the gtv6, so yet another 164 item, a 164 thermostat is fitted, but of course, it points away from the top of radiator where it has to go, so i went and bought 2 hand spun billet aluminum donuts, 30mm id, chopped them to suit so a tight reverse bend cou;d be made, but unfortunatley i had an accident with my digital camera yesterday, the one i've taken all the photos with. It has been flattened by a car for i dropped it on the road, even memory card was toast, so i had to borrow another for today, can you imagine my horror, whilst the car taking so long, and now, today when i get to drive it home, i dont get to film it with MY camera! :cry:

Thats what you get for running across a road with a camera in shirt pocket,arrrgh.
Anyway today i'll do abit of filming, and post it up tonight or tomorrow.

Back soon!!
G

Selling 1985 GTV6.

patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

in regards to the thermostat you couldve just machined out the internals to a little larger bore cant rememebr the size exactly and fit a common 18 dollar ford item. thats wat i do on all my cars. i could find a pic for you if you like but its an easy conversion. basically you gut out the thermostat housing and machine a little lip out to the size of the ford item. voila you now have an easy replaceable cheap solution. in regards to the plenum problem, i woudlnt be too certain that it would be holding you back and would only look there if all other avenues have been checked and triple checked. the standard plenum whilst always could be improved on is not that bad imo. id say it would have more to do with the pressure sampling of the ecu then the actual plenum. remember there are many others who have not had problems with the standard plenum. on a side note will we be seeing you at spetaccallo? its fast approaching
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

What's the operating temp of the Ford thermo?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I agree there, the plenum is no problem. More than a dozen tt run with that setup here. Rather save money for all the clutches, gearboxes and props you are going to destroy. Patzo, which ford model is that ?
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Damn Patzo, you wanna be MY mechanic!! :D :D
That thermostat idea is mad, but the 164 item wasnt too expensive.
Yeah Patzo, i'll be there for sure, i'm not entering till next year, then every square inch of my gtv6 will be horn raising.

Car was loafing on the dyno, turbo makes power so easily.

Anyway got to drive her home last night!!!
Drove for about an hour, no heating issues, got to around 90deg stuck in traffic, stayed steady at 80 whilst driving. Was driving at very low boost, even so, 3rd gear is wicked, had a car get up close behind me, so a little squeeze, only to 3500rpm, car rear view was well back, the torque it makes is really strong, and to think its only a 460hp turbo..? Dont mean to get my you know what up, but this car will run an eleven easy once sorted.
I spoke to a guy who runs and owns Full Flight Engineering here in Melb(Thomastown) he runs a Ford XR6 Garrett turbo in a full bodied torana(really bad made car here in Australia!) which does mid elevens, on only 12psi. Engine is a 3.8V6, i know it has more cubes, but it gives me something to look forward to!! I'm not into drag racing that much, but would love to spend a night pulling afew passes!!! Then the chassis will be tightened up for the odd circuit racing bash.

Only problem i have at the moment is a leaking exhaust manifold flange, sounds like a tractor down low, thats why i havent filmed anything yet. So its losing a crap load of power through that leak...but still making plenty! haha ooh.

Back soon!!

Selling 1985 GTV6.

fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Garth, when you sort out a camera can you show the door mirrors you got on the car?
Tom