Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Greg, is there a 3.0 pulley with a 60-2 toothed ring which i can use to place an extra pulley on for a supercharger?

The 164 v6 item is not really suitable in my eyes...
Drive it like you stole it...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The normal solution is to remove the toothed ring from the 164 pulley and put it on a Milano (or 1986 GTV6) puuley. No supercharger pulley I have will work with the pulley in that picture.

Greg
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

is that an easy operation? i have a GTV6 pulley somewhere, will search it tromorrow and compare the two.

The problem is there is no room to mill off some metal (to create a good firm holding point for the other pulley) without milling away some of the balanceweight.
Drive it like you stole it...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I have not done it. However it's supposed to be a press off, then press on operation. Somehow I doubt it will be easy.

This really isn't an issue I have tackled because I have never had the need for a toothed pulley.

Greg
slyalfa
Gold
Gold

Post by slyalfa »

I have done it. heat the trigger wheel with a tourch and tap it off

freze the new pully and with the heated ring press it on (you need to put it on so the gap is the same place. I marked both the ring and the pully. on my car the pully was too big I had to mill it down a tiny bit for the trigger wheel to fit. I think I only took off the plating untill I got to the pully steel and then it fit.
I did have to cut down the trigger wheel some so it would not hit the coolent pump pully
1987 black Milano Verde
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Thanks Slyalfa,

That's exactly the informative type of post that makes this forum what it is.

Greg
Nikoror
Gold
Gold

Re: New Intercooled Supercharged GTV6

Post by Nikoror »

I just saw the dyno graph. This is insane. In a different forum I'd say it was made using MS Paint. Only MB electronically limited torque curves look like that. Really amazing job Greg! I guess this means that VE is constant throughout the RPM range :? Runners optimized for RPM higher than 7000??? Or maybe with the stock headers+exhaust+intake+stockish cams you can't get any more air in :? Also, the standard question about the headgasket - standard and no problems?
Nik
Rice SAE
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Nik,

That torque curve is very flat. I don't really have a good way to measure VE, but I suspect it's well over 100% anytime the engine is on boost, regardless of RPM. Once the exhaust valve closes the blower packs the cylinder AND the combustion chamber with air. The six combustion chambers total just over 300ccs so that extra volume brings the VE up over 100%.

The runners, valves, ports, exhaust manifolds, catalytic converter, etc. are all stock. The only engine mods are forged pistons and 164 cams.

The headgaskets are standard, and re torqued via the Kartalamakis method. This involves painting marks on the head nuts and noting change after re torquing. We re torqued twice. The car is doing very well and has not had any headgasket problems.

I have no idea what an "MB electronically limited torque curve" is. I am pretty sure I don't have that.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
Nikoror
Gold
Gold

Post by Nikoror »

Mercedes Benz had to limit their max torque to 1000Nm (from 1200) on the 65AMG cars because the transmission could not take more, so the torque curve is really flat.

VE is more than 100% (compared to a N/A engine), but what i'm saying is that it seems it stays fairly constant (no matter what the value is). I wonder if this means that there is a bottle-neck in the system. Usually the cams are optimized for some rpm, but it seems that now you can pack the cylinder at all rpms. I'm not sure, but I think that either porting, new cams or bigger intake runners will give a noticable boost ( :mrgreen: ) in performance.
And now I remembered that the 2.5 had smaller valves. This may be the problem :?
Rice SAE
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I never heard of Mercedes doing that. It's interesting.

I agree that this engine would put out more power with bigger valves and or porting. I also think a good set of headers and a free flow exhaust system would help. I also think the pipe between the supercharger and the intercooler is a little too small. There are always improvements to be made...As it is, the car is fast, reliable, and it's a combination that easy for others to duplicate.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

i bought myself a mercedes also and wanted a chiptuning!
when you look at the mercedes forums all over the world you see that the mb gearboxes break down very easy and very few' if even no reserves are present.
no complaining about alfa's never again!!
Nikoror
Gold
Gold

Post by Nikoror »

I'd love to know the transaxle was designed to take 1000Nm (737ft-lbs) :lol: After all, no need to be greedy
Rice SAE
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Giuliettaevo2

It is possible to obtain a 60-2 after market trigger wheels and fix them to whatever pulley you need. Often this involves custom making of the pulley assemblies and additional machining to fit the trigger wheel. Not a cheap exercise at all.

Here's one I use for the twin spark engine with Motec. This require modification to the pick up mount and a the use of a BMW pick up to get correct centering and proximity.

This arrangement clears the water pump and the timing chain housing for the four cylinder engine.

I am only saying this to illustrate the principle for you.
Attachments
Harmonic Balancer with 60-2 trigger wheel.jpg
Harmonic Balancer with 60-2 trigger wheel.jpg (241.58 KiB) Viewed 7203 times
Harmonic Balancer with 60-2 trigger wheel 1.jpg
Harmonic Balancer with 60-2 trigger wheel 1.jpg (213.33 KiB) Viewed 7205 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Hello MD,