Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Mike,

When are you going to finish installing the 24V? Wonder when I'm gonna get those CSC headers off your 3.0 :D
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Hi Zamani:
Good time for a project recap ... there are still some key bits that I need / issues to resolve:
- Alternator bracket, belt
- Intake plenum (with throttle body)
- Fuel injection system fuel barbs
- Fuel Pressure Regulator (and damper?)
- Heater mods to adapt 164 pipes to GTV6 hoses
- Timing belt tensioner. Dont know enough about the 16LS timing belt tensioner yet to know if anything needs to be done here - Barry had suggested some mods... apparently the LS tensioner is just as likely to fail as the old GTV6 style tensioner but with twice the number of bent valves :shock:

JJ is apparently supposed to bring the (custom-made) fuel injection bits back from SA with him, and Barry is looking into making a bracket for me (thanks Barry!), so things are moving at least.

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Hi Mike,Almost done with the bracket,John will be taking it back for you.. 8)
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

3.8GTA Engine in a 3.8L

Post by cchan »

Thanks for the information on engine upgrading. I am still working on the interior & body work. I am interested in how one might increase hp. What is a 3.8GTA engine and what type of Alfa is a 3.8L. It appears that one method of increasing HP is swaping engines. Zamini gave me some other suggestions that were different from yours. Can you please discuss this in a little more detail or if it has already been discussed kindly direct me to the location in the forum. I guess I could keep the stock engine for originality and build a motor with more HP than stock. I think I could live with 400 HP in my alfa if the drive line could take the HP without breaking. Looks like I am in the right place to get the right answers. Thank you for your kind assistance on giving me your thoughts and suggestions. :D
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

i think i can live with 400 pk in my alfa............... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

rz wrote:i think i can live with 400 pk in my alfa............... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yup..me too.... 8) 8) 8)
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

:lol: 400hp mmm i dunno u rekon it will be enough.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

400 HP

Post by cchan »

Ok,

Am I missing something? A new BMW M5 has 500 hp, a SL55 has 500 hp, and a Corvette Z06 has 505. Therefore, I don't think it unreasonable to want 400 hp in my Alfa to stay up on the road. My associate just bought a S65 in New Port Beach and he said it is powerful.

I do understand that the alfa is over 23 years old but I thought it was ahead of it time for engineering. Anyway, just confused on the hp with this car.
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

if you put 400hp in a 23 year old car you will not have the same as a modern 400hp car with all the electronic help like asr,abs,...
you can not compare the two.
if you like the alfa gtv6 with 158hp,you can upgrade it to 200hp or maybe a little more ,but you can not make a modern car out of it!!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Don't underestimate the massive amount of work it would take to build a 400hp GTV6. For that matter to build anycar to that level starting from 160hp.
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

and don't forget the price :shock: :shock: :shock:
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

HP Increase

Post by cchan »

OK,

So now I have the 411. 400 hp in an old Alfa maybe much and it is not fair to compare it with my newer more powerful automobiles. So what is reasonable given all the options that were suggested to me. Let me summarize what I have learned for this forum.

1). Take an engine from another Alfa that has as 3.0 or higher from another car. Due to the higher cc's this will of course give me more HP an a better engine to modify since the larger displacement. There is a GTA option?? which sounds like the best engine.

2). Supercharge my 2.5 with Greg Gordon's product.

3). Modify my current 2.5 with heads, cams, headers, etc.

I sure there are other options but this seems to be the main options. So assuming I restore my car and modify the engine, what estimated hp would one get for the above 3 options.

Thanks again for all the valuable knowledge.
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

supercharge!!!the torque will satisfy you,not the superhigh hp figures.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Good thing about the supercharger is that the compression is nice, not too high, and not too low. And when you need to smog, just unmount the supercharger.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Go 30l first...Its easy and cheap.Then supercharge!!!!!!!
It will make you grin with no one around to see..thats satisfaction..! 8) 8) :D

*Greg,hope my cheque is in the post.....* :D :D :D :D