Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

MAP-ECU

Post by Zamani »

I know there's a guru on this site who knows about this stuff. We both know who you are. So spill some beans about this MAP-ECU thing :)
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Yea,spill the beans,who`s playing here??
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

:lol:
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

It landed today.....Now for playtime,Z... :D
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Baz,

Factory direct, they wanted US$399!!! That sounds like a deal actually, I wonder if the offer is still on.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

What the h3ll are you talking about? :x
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Ok,This is a bit premature,but here goes..
I built a 3.8 24v for a friend and fitted it to his 156..
We have gone through 8 maf sensors in the last year.Its actually quite rediculous how this thing destroyes maf sensors..
The reason being that the airflow through the gta maf on the large capacity engine is rather on the high side.

I found a product which replaces the maf totally and converts the std. system to map based.You throw out the maf sensor totally..
The exciting part of this is that ,via a laptop,you can tailor the curve to suite the application,all on the std ecu.
If you want to run forced induction,pop in bigger injectors and map for boost as well,still using your std ecu.
You have the factory ecu with all the controls as std,plus the abilty to adapt to high flow and forced induction engines..

I recieved the unit today and will install it soon. :arrow:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

oh, ok. Nothing useful then... :?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

$399 sounds about right. Last year, I figured I could build a MAF to ECU black box for around this kind of money using a PLC controller. What I couldn't figure out was how on earth do you calibrate it? Could you plot rpm vs mV for the standard AFM and use that plot for the programmable black box?
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

If this thing can replace a flap AFM with MAP, I want 1 no make that 2 of them. I'd even go for replacing the flap AFM with hotwire MAF.
C'mon guys, don't hold back the info on this one :!:
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Daniel,
They are being used by the hundreds on scoobies,Gtr`s,Mitsu`s and Bmw e34 m30 motors with the flap type afm.
Any 5volt afm out can be converted..

My next project is my m30 535 Bmw..Id love to ditch the flap afm....It would work a treat on the Alfa with flap afm..and give you mapping ability as well..

I had ordered an e.a.t chip for the bmer from Canada.cost 200us..This item is 400us(end user)and its so much more flexible..
Im still learning here though...
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I was working on a similar project a few months ago, but had no baseline maps to drive the standard ECU through PLC's. If you want to share, I'm listening!!!!

400$ is a great price. I would rather keep the Bosch setup and just change to MAP (at least to equal the diameter and flow of the throttle body!)
GTV6GPTT
Gold
Gold

Post by GTV6GPTT »

fuck, full aftermarket ecu’s start from as little as $1000AUD giving full ignition and fuel control. most running off map or tps. (even standard afm mapping)

why are you guys still fucking around with these stupid gimmicks.

i can understand on a new car where the ecu is running half the car and isn’t a option (maybe piggyback) but on older cars with shit house old ecu’s. throw them away.
V6 2.5L - 92kw >112kw id say its worth ever cent. especially to give you max efficiency for future mods.

you can mod the shit out of any engine but the right fuel/ignition mapping makes it work...

putting it crudely do you want a spastic doing your math’s or a accountant.

:arrow:
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I like my Bosch ECU....No mess, no fuss (yet)

I had a Haltech unit and it was a pain in the butt to tune (Although one day I was able to get near 370 hp at the wheels with 20+lbs boost on my 2.03L eclipse)
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

Thanks Barry, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see where it all goes.
What does it do for air temp sensing ?

I ceartainly wouldn't drop my standard Bosch dual knock sensing, idle & A/C controlled, 6 coil setup computer for a cheap-ass aftermarket job. Getting rid of the flap afm would be great (and good at US$400) but the only full aftermarket system I'll look into would be a MoTec or equivalent and that's 10 times more without tuning.
If this little system works, then I'm interested.