Barry
Verde
Verde

Chargecooler,sir??-Barry

Post by Barry »

:D Mr.Gordon..
Home made..6" x 15" long..Lovely internal core..fitting it to the 20l turbo nobody is interested in... :wink:
Attachments
DSC00145.JPG
DSC00145.JPG (146.89 KiB) Viewed 10304 times
Zuke bomb....be afraid,be very afraid....
Zuke bomb....be afraid,be very afraid....
DSC00146.JPG (148.89 KiB) Viewed 10305 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Dang! Now that´s what I am talking about!
The fabrication there is beautiful. Did you make it? If so you need to start producing them in different sizes. I am going to need somthing similar for my SuperSpider project.
A 6x15 inch barrel is a huge amount of cooling capacity, you must be planning something really serious.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Greg,Pm`d you.. :arrow:
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

hmm interesting baz, I know it's for cooling, but how does it work? please excuse my ignorance, i'm thinking it would work like an intercooler somehow?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

It works like this. Air flows through the fins, coolant flows through the section between the fins. The coolant is pumped through the intercooler and up to a little radiator, usually at the front of the car.

Air transfers its heat to the coolant which then is released at the front radiator. It´s a very effective way to reduce charge temps, and is generally much more effective then a air to air intercooler. As an added bonus the coolant can be circulated through a dry ice packed container for insanely low charge temps at the track.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Hi F....
Greg..Some guys here are marketing a chargecooler setup utelizing the aircon system for the Isuzu range of diesel pickups...works brilliantly,except after a very long trip,at switchoff,condensation is the cause of hydraulic lock at start up again....ever heard of this before??

I did not think it was possible...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Never heard of that, but then again, not many people have used that sort of system. Ford did on some prototype show cars, and a few custom tuners have done it but that's about it. It doesn't take that many ccs of water to liquid lock so it seems possible.

Here is how it could happen. Lets say it's 90F outside with a dewpoint temp of 70F. If the pipes are below 70F when you shut the engine off then moisture will form. On hot very humid days I could see it causing enough moisture to form that it could liquid lock the motor. In practical terms I don't see a big problem here, if you shut off the A/C to the intercooler a few minutes before shutting off the motor that will eliminate any chance of moisture forming inside the system.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I can't see how an A/C system can move enough heat to be practical, or even how it's possible to gain power without consuming more power in the A/C compressor. :?:

But then again I haven't done any calculations.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Mats,Im talking utter crap here..Who in thiere right minds would use a system like this??I should be beaten sbout the head and made to stand in boiling water..............
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Thank you.

This was a huge discussion in the old forum, with an owner of a Callaway if I remember correctly.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

It obviously went waaaay over your head.......
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yeah, but last time we discussed it it was nowhere nere a joke... :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

There was a crowd in the U.K.,late 80`s,early 90`s that turbocharged the Jaguar xj6 and xj12.They used the aircon as part of the charge cooler setup-very successfully.BBR(BRITTAN,BRODY RACING )comes to mind..
Perhaps Andrew Brown can enlighten us here??

Anyhow,my peference when it comes to this sort of thing still wavers towards chargecooling over intercoolers..Im sure there are times and applications where intercoolers take preference and times when charge coolers take preference..

Mats,the crowd that do the aircon thing here are very successful with the setup,it works.So well in fact that they have this condensation problem occasionally..

Im sure for every one that works there are probably 10 that dont work that well.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Mats, it's an absolute fact that this works. The major caveat is that running on boost for an extended period of time will overwhelm the A/C system and eventually boost temps will rise. Ford did a lot of work on this with a supercharged truck and thier results are on the internet. It's something like for every 30 seconds of full boost it takes the system about 2 minutes to cool back down. For a street application that's no problem, for a track car....
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Ok, so you use an intermediate medium as a storage for cold? That I can get, what we talked about last time (and I thought we talked about here) was a system relying on basically putting the evaporator from an A/C system as the intercooler in the airstream between the turbo and intake. Now that would take one powerful heat-pump to move that amount of heat 'in real time'.
Power that would have been tapped directly from the crank. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!