Barry
Verde
Verde

Few pics of single turbo install-Barry

Post by Barry »

Single turbo,cast iron manifold,custom made on the other side as who ever installed this damn engine moved it back 6cm and dropped it lower.. :evil:

Made for a hell of a lot of extra work..
Attachments
Had to extend the wastegate..originally ran Audi wastegate on here..
Had to extend the wastegate..originally ran Audi wastegate on here..
DSC01003.JPG (147.21 KiB) Viewed 18836 times
Custom  LHS manifold..grrrr...
Custom LHS manifold..grrrr...
DSC00951.JPG (151.68 KiB) Viewed 18835 times
Xover pipe under the engine..<br />double slip joint does the trick here..
Xover pipe under the engine..
double slip joint does the trick here..
DSC00980.JPG (153.17 KiB) Viewed 18837 times
DSC00988.JPG
DSC00988.JPG (153.82 KiB) Viewed 18841 times
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Barry,

Got time to tell us about the gearbox behind the engine?

Is that the reason for the mods?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Very nice work Barry, that looks like a factory installation.
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Yeah what's the deal with the gearbox?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

6 Speed Gertrag BMW box(one of the gears is a bit backwards.. :wink: ) on a six sedan diff..whats more to say...

Thanks Greg,pity about the rest of the chicken coop...I normaly use a std manifold on the rhs side...makes for easy install.. :D
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Wow! Looks excellent, more pics and info on the car please! :) Is it 2,5 or the covers were left to make it look like a sleeper :lol: ?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Its a small valve 2.8l..single turbo in a Giulietta..front mount box,diff rear..

0.7Bar boost,240 wheel hp..

Things get a bit tight with all the plumbing an stuff..Will put pics up as I progress..
Attachments
Wastegate exhaust in progress..
Wastegate exhaust in progress..
DSC01023.JPG (151.29 KiB) Viewed 18685 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Those are great results Barry, and it looks like the turbo set up is built to take abuse and last! No worries about hard core driving or the ravages of time cracking that manifold! Judging from the condition of the underside of the car it looks like the driver of this one is fairly abusive so ruggedness is probably important.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Always cool to see a Giulie with such a setup? any pictures of the whole car? performance specs?? :D :D
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

:D nice work bazza looks real good. btw what injecters does it run? and what ecu?
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Greg,Ive done close to 17 of these single conversions..Most are still running today..Im doing 4 more at the mo..
Ive had one cast manifold actually crack..the reason for that was the owner chabged the wastegate and fitted a solid wastegate exhaust that tied into the main downpipe..No flex pipe in between!!.This put tremendous strain on everything when it all expanded with heat and the manifold cracked..
This was after 2 years in operation mind you..

This particular setup is very custom..With the motor so low and so far back,Ive had to take the wastegate exhaust UP and over as you can see..Usually that all runs down and next to the block and via a flex joint into the main downpipe.
Much neater that way.
Ill do pics on the next 3 I do,those are all std.

F,Ill get a pic up of the car soon for you..

Plats,Ill use 450cc injectors with a "Dicktator "management system here..Ill use the std dizzy to trigger it all.
At 450 cc the injectors are just right for this setup..Gives you that safety margin as well..
Remember that the boost is kept relatively low as I use the std cast piston in here..
At 0.7 bar they all make about 240 wheel hp..Thats plenty for a stock car where you want a bit of extra zing..
The nice thing is that all the other components remain stock and can take the extra power..So its not a bottomless money pit while you waiting for the next component to fail..
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Barry I like this statement you made "The nice thing is that all the other components remain stock and can take the extra power..So its not a bottomless money pit while you waiting for the next component to fail.." That's exactly my point.

It's one thing to talk about building a jillion horsepower vehicle, but a reality based car that runs on pump gas reliably and can still beat many newer cars is what I like to see.
jol
Silver
Silver

Post by jol »

Greg Gordon wrote: It's one thing to talk about building a jillion horsepower vehicle, but a reality based car that runs on pump gas reliably and can still beat many newer cars is what I like to see.
Me too, preferably in my garage :)
The milano very sold, some day some other Alfa...
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Greg,Things can realy get away from you with something like this..

Finished the wastegate hookup today..
Attachments
DSC01030.JPG
DSC01030.JPG (146.85 KiB) Viewed 18380 times
See the grinding?<br />Means the welding was shit!!
See the grinding?
Means the welding was shit!!
DSC01028.JPG (147.71 KiB) Viewed 18387 times
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

That is a tight fit....definetely.... :shock: