junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Twin Turbo Ultima Pics

Post by junglejustice »

Yes-yes, it's not an Alfa, but its heart is.... And BOY is it ALL Alfa!? I thought that you would all appreciate this;

In 3.2 TT trim, (with stock GTA crank, stock 24 valve rods, stock 93mm 3.0/3.2 pistons and rings), this beast put 620 horses down with about 1.3 BAR - and not thumb-sucking horses either - dyno horses at the wheels - graphed... A testimony to the quality of the Alfa internals...

After 5 years of abuse one of the rods finally let go. Stewy insists that it was the scare the day before that did it... At full boost in 3rd with the throttle stuck wide-open, he spun out and was going backwards - tires lit - with his son in the car with him.... Minor damage... The next day, the rod let go.

I got to drive it with the spare stock 3.0 twin turbo motor with .8 BAR and a mere 485 horses.... The thing is fantastic.

Dr. K. is putting the same Ross 100mm jobbiess in there that Jes and I are using, but I think that he is going to go with a stock crank for 3.45 litres and TTs... We'll see. This time he IS going with ARROW rods! (I would just go with the 100s and keep the GTA crank for 3.7TT - but I dunno. Dawie seems to prefer the 3.45 bore/stroke combo for the TT.)

Here are some pics.
Attachments
ult1.jpg
ult1.jpg (52.39 KiB) Viewed 11871 times
UltimaFront.JPG
UltimaFront.JPG (145.92 KiB) Viewed 11878 times
masons 4.jpg
masons 4.jpg (164.07 KiB) Viewed 11882 times
Last edited by junglejustice on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

:) ........

what are you thinking of the 3L 24v about supercharging...without change the rods and pistons?
perhaps down the compression ratio.
how much horses can we expect whitout failure ?

thanks in advance for response, i didn't know at all on supercharging on alfa v6 engines.

i'm thinking to a supercharger belt driven to give interesting help on my 3L24v.
my 6 throttle bodies are made.....but not for the airboxes.
so i can make them in soldered alluminium and supercharge the both.

the question is what is the limit..... for the moment my 3L24 running at 280 hp whit stock cams, just lightened, polished, throttles ,exhaut.....

turbo are interesting.....but the sounds of the exhaut should change... and i dont want it.
Last edited by tectoteam on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 stroke addict
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

More...
Attachments
11.jpg
11.jpg (42.88 KiB) Viewed 11863 times
ult2.jpg
ult2.jpg (33.54 KiB) Viewed 11863 times
ult9.jpg
ult9.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 11864 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Now that is one BADASS car! :D

GIMMIE!
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

More...
Attachments
158.jpg
158.jpg (61.93 KiB) Viewed 11840 times
166.jpg
166.jpg (66.7 KiB) Viewed 11841 times
167.jpg
167.jpg (77.54 KiB) Viewed 11842 times
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

More...
Attachments
171.jpg
171.jpg (62.59 KiB) Viewed 11832 times
172.jpg
172.jpg (59.34 KiB) Viewed 11833 times
173.jpg
173.jpg (69.53 KiB) Viewed 11833 times
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

More....
Attachments
177.jpg
177.jpg (79.28 KiB) Viewed 11823 times
180.jpg
180.jpg (71.25 KiB) Viewed 11818 times
182.jpg
182.jpg (82.9 KiB) Viewed 11819 times
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

More...
Attachments
Turbo.jpg
Turbo.jpg (86.06 KiB) Viewed 11819 times
81GTV6
Gold
Gold

Post by 81GTV6 »

OH DEAR!!!! :shock:

Only problem is they put the steering wheel on the wrong side :wink:
Jacob Ricciotti

'81 GTV6 3.0
'81 GTV6 Track car
'91 164S daily driver
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Twin Turbo Ultima Pics

Post by Andrew.b »

junglejustice wrote:Yes-yes, it's not an Alfa, but its heart is.... And BOY is it ALL Alfa!? I thought that you would all appreciate this;

In 3.2 TT trim, (with stock GTA crank, stock 24 valve rods, stock 93mm 3.0/3.2 pistons and rings), this beast put 620 horses down with about 1.3 BAR - and not thumb-sucking horses either - dyno horses at the wheels - graphed... A testimony to the quality of the Alfa internals...

After 5 years of abuse one of the rods finally let go. Stewy insists that it was the scare the day before that did it... At full boost in 3rd with the throttle stuck wide-open, he spun out and was going backwards - tires lit - with his son in the car with him.... Minor damage... The next day, the rod let go.

I got to drive it with the spare stock 3.0 twin turbo motor with .8 BAR and a mere 485 horses.... The thing is fantastic.

Dr. K. is putting the same Ross 100mm jobbiess in there that Jes and I are using, but I think that he is going to go with a stock crank for 3.45 litres and TTs... We'll see. This time he IS going with ARROW rods! (I would just go with the 100s and keep the GTA crank for 3.7TT - but I dunno. Dawie seems to prefer the 3.45 bore/stroke combo for the TT.)

Here are some pics.
JJ

Glad you had a good trip. I think you may have some of the engine specs wrong.... i'm not sure, as this may be a different engine from the last time I was in the car.

Dawie and Stuwie talked over the engine spec, and it was (last year) identical to my TT gtv except the Arrow's steel rods, and slightly larger turbo's.

Specs were (then)

3.3 24v
stock 3L crank
Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 profile cams
Porsche 97mm turbo pistons/rings
Arrow's steel rods
American throttle bodies
extremely large balls needed!
1.1 bar boost

I heard the little end rod journal split open at the top causing the failure, and Arrows sent a replacement asap!

It was pretty mad on the road JJ !! as i'm sure you found out!

But like I said that was the spec when I did a story on the car for TRC mag (i'd be a bit worried about putting 620hp on stock alfa pistons)

As for 3.7TT that could be toooooo much of a good thing. As stuwie probably mentioned, the engine in 3.3 form just became too powerful for the Alfa chassis.

If your gonna go TT, I'd go for 3L crank and 97/100mm pistons at the most, and cheaper! you will need a box up front!!!! don't even think about a t/axle......!

Any new developments to showcase?

Laters

A
Last edited by Andrew.b on Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew b
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

WOW!

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

amazing machine!!! great pictures !

It is inconcievable that such a figure (485bhp) was resulted at only 0.8 , even with 8.5+K rev limiter! , any specs of the turbo's\inlet cams ?

Cheers!
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Put your mouth to those Garrett ball bearing blowers and you can spin it with your breath.... Just beautiful.

Yeah, Andrew, no... - no Arrow rods when it broke - it was a stock AR rod that let go... He is only now putting the Arrow rods in the rebuild 3.45. (I had the broken one in my one hand...)

The 3.0 is running the stock pistons - right you are - the 3.3 was running the Porsch (uhhmhondahuhumm) pistons....

The stock units handles the boost well (even shaved down), but he is going forged alli....

Cams were Dawie's "Group 1" cams...

The T-Boddy was just a stock AR piece, slightly modified... I have some close-ups.

Boost was dialed up for the dyno runs

.8 on the 3.0 is correct with a 7200 shift.

He had other rods at some point and was shifting 8K but that was pulled back while I was there.

MONDO mean machina.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

How about his white 275 kph (within 2 kilos) TT GTV6....? He made that car pretty famous. Crap! Time flies... I watched him run that thing before I even moved to the States.

He also drove the red Glenwood monster for Dawie for a while....

As a side-note: That monster red GTV6 that he started to build and then abandoned for the Ultima project is also in Durban now... Dawie finished it and built the TT. The whole body is carbon fibre/fiberglass...

Part of my trip down with Dawie was to go see to it - The guy put Nitrous on the TT and blue up part of the M5 box.... Go figure! The TT 3.5 is not enough, so we'll strap a "bottle of blue" to it!
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Okay. Should be fun when it's 3.45!

It did have twm? american individual throttle bodies, with the exact same airbox as in your pic's a while ago...... as when we were speed testing, one of the linkages snapped off a single body and left the car running on 'five'.

Took pics of the broken linkage!

So I guess you know what my GTV 'feels' like now.

P.S a nat aspirated 3.3 or 3.7 is MUCH faster around a track than the TT cars, great for showboating, crap for quick laptimes. Stick with your 3.7 for track work....

a

Dom has the Stewies old white gtv now, i think, but he painted it red....12v tt engne.

I also thought Dawies red gtv demo car with the flared arches WAS Stewies abandoned project, which he kept for himself?? slight flare on the rear arch, and f/glass doors?? Lots of holes cut in the inner front wings! Never mind!
Andrew b
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That car is really something. I am glad to see an Alfa motor in it. Most people go with the Small Block Chevy motor (SBC) because of the horsepower/dollar ratio. With a car like that there are so many other factors that would make it more exciting with an Alfa motor, hopefully more people will build them that way.