Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: JK's v6 book

Post by Mats »

500Euro sounds like half a day here at a good shop...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Thanks Kevin, got it all pretty much covered; there is the question of some cams I designed and still expect from SA...but I know I'll never see them... that was a very expensive exercise :x
500Euros includes complete mapping on the Rototest; a simple measurement is about 70-100Euros depending on where you go.
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

65 euros covers complete mapping as well. Normally this is done in an hour. Then following day you do cold start maps. If my car is on a dyno been pushed longer than an hour I start getting nervous . Covered in above cost.
Just to run the car on a dyno to check kw with time to make adjustments and do another run cost 8 Euros (R80) like on our dyno day last week.
Back to cams what are you looking for . I have spare sets of 24v and 12v . I will stick my neck out here , if can get good price on cutting to your profile (which I got last year on four sets) I will send them to you. PM me.
Attachments
IMG00964-20100321-1714.jpg
IMG00964-20100321-1714.jpg (58.62 KiB) Viewed 7098 times
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

The most expensive shop her charges about USD425 for 2 hrs of tuning on their Dynapack hub dyno. €500 is exorbitant for sure. You can map a car for USD80/hr on a Mustang Dyno.
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yeah, sometimes I'd like to shoot these f...rs here! They set their own prices and we have to dance to that!
Thanks for the offer Kevin, I was referring to my own 12v profile which was made down there after a loooong time. You see, I wanted to build the engine with my JK/THS rods, valves, headers, pistons and cams. Five important parts, my contribution to V6 enthusiasts. Well, the cams were made with wrong ramps (probably owing to the way they were cut and the tool used). I received them, measured them and sent them back for correction and thats the last I saw of them and the end of the story...no money, no cams :evil:
:roll: Ooooh no! I ain't sending any more money to SA -No relation and disrespect to you Kevin!
Since I didn't get my own profile, I ended up ordering a set from Catcams, so this entire cam business cost about 2000Euros...but thats all in the past now, chalk it up to experience! :roll:
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

JK,

If you do want cams for a car in the future, another alternative to SA buildiers, send them to Webcamshaft, they're in Los Angeles, you can either have them cut (not my first choice) or re-welded (what I did for 2 sets of V6 cams). Their turn around time is fast. RJR uses them. Honest, and quite reasonable, price wise. And with some of the going rates of stuff in the Euro zone, you may as well ship them over to the US.

I paid US$650 for a set of re-welded cams. That is about Euro425?

For my 24V I will use a custom set of cams. So my GTA cams will be up for sale.
Dr. Alban
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jim, no need to send money I will send them cut free of charge. Thats why I said sticking neck out . Glad its 12v thus only two cams. Most expensive part is postage. Let me know .
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Thanks again Kevin but I believe I've had enough V6 for the last 14 years...
When I'm done with this one, I won't mess with it any more. Strange, there's a 3liter 24v I have on the stand, waiting to go in the car! The estimate for it is ~270hp but I'll never really find out for sure! Interests have shifted to the 1.8T's and that's my favorite playground now. As a matter of fact I will most probably have to sell the V6 car as its dumb to have three 75's!
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

No problem . Strainge thing happening here is everyone is dumping there 24v big bore race engines and going back to the 3.0l 12v carburated engines for racing as rules are tightening up. I hate setting these carbs as I normaly have to do it three times(thats the worst job on the v6). Should have paid more attention to my dad.
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

kevin wrote:No problem . Strainge thing happening here is everyone is dumping there 24v big bore race engines and going back to the 3.0l 12v carburated engines for racing as rules are tightening up. I hate setting these carbs as I normaly have to do it three times(thats the worst job on the v6). Should have paid more attention to my dad.

Hi Kevin

I would be interested in one of these 24v big bore engines they are dumping :D

Awesome news going back to 3.0 12v carbi engines.The sound from these motors is unmatched.

I am in the process of trying to teach myself how to tune these carbis with only self taught mechanical experience.(Not Fun)

John
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Sadly they are dumping them all into road cars and open racing catergories. I will find another section for dyno results from our day.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

kevin wrote:Sadly they are dumping them all into road cars and open racing catergories. I will find another section for dyno results from our day.

What's sad about that? :D
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Finally, I can now say that the V6 book will be on sale April/May 2011. All the material is with the editor, Veloce Publishing in UK.
It ended up a lot bigger than originally planned, with ~73,500 words and 215 illustrations. I hope it was worth the wait, something readers will judge for themselves. It does not contain 24v installation and testing but 24v engine description and some head work is included.
I decided to end it after getting 236hp out of my last 12v 3liter street engine a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if there will ever be a revised edition with proper 24v info, this is something we will have to see as we go. Dire financial conditions in this country and our seriously downsized family budget preclude any spending on costly hobbies. Instead, I will concentrate on the two 1.8T's one of which has become a potent daily driver. Any work on these cars is being documented and will find its way in the next revision of the 4cyl book -don't ask when!
...Free at last...! :D
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Nice, finally!

:)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Very nice.... any flow numbers for the 24valvers? I'm still not sure I've ever seen any flow numbers for stock 24valve heads.

Was that 236hp at the tyres for the 12valve?

Looking forward to getting myself a copy!
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)