Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: JK's v6 book

Post by Jim K »

Hi Kevin,
Just got back from a long weekend and found the good stuff!
I'll take the 57mm outlet, as the rough exhaust calculations point smack into it, followed by the 63 mm final pipe. Its a fully road legal application with 2 large free-flow mufflers; no sense in making undue noise. So it'll be the head pipes going into 2x57mm pipes converging to the 63mm tailpipe. The mufflers will be placed where there's room for them under the car, no experimentation there.
Thanks for the update! :wink:
Jim K.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hi guys,
Just had an update from the publisher re the V6 book. Word for word:
Bulk stock eta for the UK is 11th August and the USA usually two weeks later; Australasia six weeks later.

:roll:
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Good news Jim on book. I have noted 57mm . Might be small delay as we are having violent strike in the steel industry at the moment and intimidation is rife with anything to do with steel.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Don't worry Kevin... No hurry there at all; lots more parts need to come in first!
Jim K.
WhizzMan
Silver
Silver

Post by WhizzMan »

Good to hear there is a release date Jim. Lets hope some of the money you invested will come back eventually.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

That would be a nice pipe dream! As I've explained elsewhere, book royalties don't come anywhere near the money spent to try out everything described; but then, I already knew this from the previous books -one about Performance+Economy in Greek (1989) and the various editions of the Alfa 4cyl book- so there were no illusions..
Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Jim,
It goes without saying that financial compensation for all your time and effort would be rewarding in itself and hope this will be the case eventually.
I think I know you well enough to believe that your motivation was not financial alone and that you have talent and Alfa passion that you wanted to share. Doing the books is a very expedient way to spread this passion. Well done. You deserve much respect for all your work, time and money to get there.
Alfa tinkerers around the world will be forever greatful.

MD
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Thanks MD, I'll be looking forward to reviews of the book after you people read it.
BTW, there's a very nice book that came out recently called 'Alfa GTV6, de la route á la piste' by Hervé Bouchot. Its in French, but nonetheless it has great pics and technical details. I think its a good addition to any Alfa bookshelf!
Jim K.
WhizzMan
Silver
Silver

Post by WhizzMan »

Guy Croft decided to do his own publishing of his new book. Maybe you should talk to him if you ever plan on doing a new book?

Anyway, maybe your retirement will give you an opportunity to make some money on doing Alfa related tech work? With your reputation, getting customers should be relatively easy. That way, you can still make some money back by seeing the book as a promotion for your business?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I mainly work on friends' cars and for the most part no money is involved. There's no big Alfa community here and the few people who are likely to modify anything are also affected by the financial crisis our country is in.
People are losing their jobs every day and salaries/pensions are shrinking fast; not much incentive for modifications there... :roll:
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi Jim, sorry so slow but only got the laser cut flanges back Friday . I will get them made up this week. check pics. i have also got gaskets for them. (no , they dont have any overspray on them _ used as paperweight)
Attachments
jimbo's_pipes.jpg
jimbo's_pipes.jpg (78.57 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hi Kevin, like I said there's noooo rush! Things are slow in summer anyway! Don't worry; take all the time you want!
Thanks again,
Jim.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Kevin, Jim:

Have you guys thought about the entry geometry issue on the V6 headers as described in Jim's 4cyl book? It seems to me that the holes in the flanges that line up with the exhaust ports need to be cut at an angle so that the exhaust doesn't need to change direction as soon as it exits the exhaust port in the head. At present I don't have a good way to do this, the water jet machine I normally use can only cut at a 90 degree angle.

Greg
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Greg, I am a bit puzzled here. Both the 12v and 24v heads have almost straight-out exhaust ports and whatever headers are available, fit well with the regular 90* cut.
Have a look at the cutaways below for both heads.
Unless you mean something else? :?
Jim K.
Attachments
25.JPG
25.JPG (163.84 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
55a.jpg
55a.jpg (113.45 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

JK,

Is your car the argento bianco 75 at time marker 4:37 in the video? Were you wearing a brown sweater?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVffI0J-qWQ