Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Re: JK's v6 book

Post by Maurizio »

I actually see several familiar faces from Nurburgring visiting greeks :lol:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

What's with these changes in diameter? Expanding and then contracting :roll:
Attachments
55a.jpg
55a.jpg (113.45 KiB) Viewed 5978 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Jim: Perhaps the problem is that I am looking at the stock manifolds and not the ports. If I remember correctly the stock manifolds have an angle built into them. It never occurred to me that they might have done that for some reason other than lining up with the ports. I will check it out today.

Greg
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yes, that champagne colored 75 is my 3liter with me in it. The clip is from Ron's visit here a few years ago.
Jim K.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Jim: I just checked. Yup, the ports are straight but the factory manifolds have an incredibly steep entry angle. I assumed the entry angle was to match the port's exit angle as in the Nord engine. It isn't! This is actually good news for those of us looking for areas to improve!

Greg
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Good job! This is a point I overlooked as I assumed nobody was going to spend time with the stock manifolds -mostly because of the weight and the difficulty (impossibility?) of enlargement!
Jim K.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The situation I am running into is I need bigger diameter pipes. With the blower I don't care too much about equal length, but diameter is a big factor. Knowing that the intake port exits are straight simplifies things quite a bit.

Greg
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

The cast manifolds angles upwards steeply, maybe they thought more beneficial as hot air wants to go up? Or the engineer working on it had too much veno and mixed up the Nord's angle with the V6's! Can't trust those eye-talians. :lol:

Greg,

Have you looked at Beninca's 24V header? Simple design.

Maybe something similar, but for the 12 valve and with 1.625" OD.
Attachments
beninca_headers.jpg
beninca_headers.jpg (45.67 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Yes I have. what I plan to do is use my turbo manifolds just with larger diameter pipes and mounted upside down. I like my 3-1 transition better. I am not saying it's better, I am saying I like it better.

Greg
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Adapted 164 24v manifolds for my RWD 12v :wink: ...

just cut off the old flange and welded on a new one at a slightly different angle to get the collector closer to the engine. The bottom flange will be cut off and replaced by a slip joint i think, need to see how much room i have left and what's easiest.

On the engine..

The 24v manifolds are a bigger diameter, how much exactly i forgot. :oops: The secondary pipes after the collector are also quite a bit larger on the 24v compared to the 12v. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Giuli,

Will both sides fit without major modification? The one in your photo looks like the rear 164 manifold.

Might be a project for me :) Replace my SZ headers. The CSC looks like a real pain to fit., and I'm very wary about the 3-hole gasket....I don't think there even is a gasket there!!! PS Schulze manifolds has gaskets there though.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

It's got new flanges at the cylinderheadside, the 24v header is not a direct fit to a 12v!

From what i could see they will fit on both sides. The bottom flange is the pain-in-the-*** part, it comes out to much on the 24v and that has to be corrected by cutting the pipes under a slight angle so that the new headflange sits under another angle as the 24v headflange.

I'm going to cut off the bottomflange and weld a straight bit of pipe on and then make a slip-fit downpipe from there on. Easiest solution i think.

I had the 164 24v headers lying around as well as a set of 12v flanges and when i had nothing else to do i gave it a go. :mrgreen:
Drive it like you stole it...
grease
Silver
Silver

Post by grease »

just got an email from Veloce Publishing saying:

The Veloce book "The Alfa Romeo V6 Engine High-performance Manual (SpeedPro)" is now in stock. This item can be directly ordered from the following webpage:
http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/products/p ... &%20Trucks

already ordered it!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I just got an email from the publisher about the same thing. Its in stock in UK and will be available in the US in two more weeks.
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Excellent, soon I'll be able to download it online... :o :lol:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!