TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

IHI VF35
(425cfm, 250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Subaru Impreza WRX. The VF35 is similar to the VF34. It utilizes the same compressor housing and the same compressor inducer size. The differences are in the divided thrust-bearing design and the P15 exhaust housing. This allows the VF35 to spool slightly quicker than the VF34 at the cost of less top-end performance.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 2800-3300rpms. 2002-2005 WRX
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Thanks, I have all the details from the various sites dealing with this line of turbos, its the actual maps I want so I can calculate a few things.
You see now why I chose this unit -very good street characteristics!
Jim K.
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

JimGreek wrote:...and -if I can have it ready in time- I'll add flow data for a big-valve (47/38mm) 75TS head I'm currently working on. This should be interesting, lots of potential there!
Huh 47 valve:o isnt it too shrouded by the liner wall ? biggest problem i find when simulating TS port on engine analyzing software is lack on short side radius and flow separation at this point leading to bad coefficient of discharge for given valve window area(valve curtain area) ... so in practice rising port floor and making crossectional area at this point D shaped is best we can do to improve port efficiency :) at what test pressure do you measure ? as i remember from your old book it was at 10 inches .. did you tried at 28? as i read from some knowledgeable head porters 10 inches isnt accurate pressure
for testing especially for turbulent ssr areas where flow is going worse with test pressure increase :? did you measure local air speeds in different port areas as well ? sorry for lots of questions i asked but i am very interested in head porting and of course alfa ones mostly :)
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

We use 10". It probably works better with more accurate results for numbers up to~150cfm and its still within ~80% of the SF110 capacity. We'll see about the liner wall restriction (84mm bore)-its much higher than in 105 heads. We don't want to weld anything inside the intake port for reliability reasons although it would work well as it has in 105 series heads (from 118cfm to 126); this is something we do at the end with modelling clay for the sake of curiosity but we don't have anyone to properly and fully weld inside the ports. We don't measure velocity as bench time is limited and we have to do many measurements and valve shape changes. One side-benefit of going to 47mm valve is the fact that the short side radius is very much improved allowing a decent exit geometry. Measuring all parameters you mention would take forever and is best suited for research for the sake of research. Life's too short for this kind of curiosity in my opinion. Keep in mind that all these measurements and simulations are just indications of what you can expect and not actual numbers. Has anyone found what the optimum balance between flow and velocity is?
Like I said if you start messing with mach numbers and sonic tuning, when you finally achieve perfection you'll be too old to ever build a car! :roll:
I intend to keep things simple by working around an 80-81% port/valve ratio and see what happens. Keep in mind the best port can be phucked up with a mediocre valve seat and most of the time its the machine shop finishing those, in a high production rate environment! Hmmmm.
Jim K.
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Dear Santa

Post by Steve R »

" Dear Santa,

I know you're probably fed up with all the Alfa people saying the same thing, but I feel I must give my 2c worth.

Please please please promise that the Alfa V6 book by Jim K, A.K.A. the mad Greek will be wrapped up under my tree in time for Christmas 2008. I know your 2007 delivery schedule couldn't stretch to it, so I sincerely hope you have more luck emptying your sack of these bulky objects next time around...

All the best
Steve R and all the other Alfisti

PS Glad you liked the mince pie and Sloe Gin, hope Rudolph liked the carrot!"

:wink:
:wink:
:D
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Hey Jim G,

Just remember that most of us are amature garage geeks and can only afford to do so much work on an engine. You proven methods are and will be helpful to most of us because they are worthwhile in terms of power and hopefully equally inexpensive, too!! (thanks for doin' the work for us!) :D :D

Cheers, xrad
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

JK Book

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi all,

According to a guy I spoke to in a local book shop last year,the book will be available from March 08, fingers crossed eh!

PB UK
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Was that guy JG or a fortune teller :shock: :D ?
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Joking aside JK, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we're all really appreciative that a book such as this is even in the pipeline for the V6's!

My GTV is stored for the winter at least and isn't coming back out until I've finished a number of jobs, one might well be engine out and rebuild as it's a little to smokey for my liking at times. So obviously I've a vested interested in looking for some "guidance" from those in the know before I get the spanners out !

Keep up the good work.
S
:D :D :D
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

x-rad wrote:Was that guy JG or a fortune teller :shock: :D ?
Actually I've noticed Amazon and the likes with a preorder system have March '08 as the release date. I'd assume that's where this magic fortune teller got his information. :lol:

Having said that, I can't wait for this book!

ROCK ON
R~R
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

JK book

Post by Paul Bird »

Yes I was a little disapointed to say the least when I ordered mine and it never arrived. My fortune teller hasnt been wrong so far!!

PB UK
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Ok, thanks for the encouragement guys, time for a little update: I installed my 12v cams last week and I'm waiting for a dyno/mapping date any day now. Without it the car is shitty at low revs, just like a carbed 4cylinder with godzilla cams...goes to show you what proper mapping is expected to do! Over 3500 though its way better than the Motronic cams even with lack of fuel. I'm not driving it as I hate the uneven idle.
Besides the cams, I'm working on CSC lookalike headers with 42mm OD pipes (in place of 38) all stainless steel, complete with flexpipes. Should have the prototype set on the car mid-February and then its mass production time! Lets see how many of you guys are serious about wanting these things! The price is still a secret.
Then there's the 3liter ###### of which I should have a prototype finished in about a month. It will have a much cleaner shape than what's available so far. I'don't know yet but there may also be a 2.5liter version.
You expect a V6 book on March? I just learned the 4cyl reprint will be available then! And speaking of 4cyls, tomorrow I'm flow testing my final finished big-valve TS head. I will test with and w/o the (excellent) AHM manifold, 45mm Haltech ITB's and 3 different valve shapes. I do expect good numbers. Valve sizes are 46.6/38mm.
For the 1.8T, I am waiting for a water/air intercooler I got from ebay Italy and the Cosworth ECU and harness (much better tuneability)
The Evo bodykit+hood+trunklid arrived last week and I'm going to see it, weigh the parts and take some pics tomorrow (due to size I had them shipped to a friend's warehouse)
Re. the 3liter car now....something clicked and I'm bent on selling it after I map and dyno. I have a firm buyer but I'm thinking of the 24v engine. If I sell it with the 12v, I'll be left with a finished 24v on the stand...makes me question whether the book should end with the 12v dyno and just the 24v engine build; something to think about.
Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Re. the 3liter car now....something clicked and I'm bent on selling it ...
...give ya three jars of Spanish olives for it :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Every time I see this thread I am hoping fot the words "Its on the shelves'
The 24v side can be seriously complex with regards to all the capacities that are happening and the cams that suit those capacities and then the variables and relationships between the inlets and the exhausts. At this stage I have 3.0, 3.2, and 3,7(24v) with various combinations of cams and they all go dam well(scare the #%$@! out of me) but who knows how long it would take to find the perfect set up other than from the chaps who have dynos and constantly building these engines.(like Dawie,B,etc). I cant wait to see what a good 12v produces and how to go about it.
As soon as your 12v book comes out so the next project will begin.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Kev.

I would expect that Jim's work would relate to ideas about warming engines for street use and not hotting up for race applications (overall)(if that is what you are expecting).

Squeek up Greeceball...
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse