ar4me
Verde
Verde

Re: Front mounted tranny

Post by ar4me »

ALFA GTV6 GP wrote:I say if you want to talk about turning a Transaxle to front mount feel free to do it on another site, not on
"The Home of The Transaxle"...
May I suggest to keep an open mind, and not tell people what and what-not they can discuss? Otherwise, perhaps we need a list of what is allowed to be discussed - kind of silly :? Oh, BTW, you may want to get after these guys: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3265 :lol: They are already well into it :oops:

Shoot, the subtitle of the board is "The Home of the Alfa Romeo Transaxle", so I guess we can't even discuss getting a Corvette transaxle to work :wink:

All in good spirits (against fanaticism - which I'm a victim of myself :roll: )
:wall:

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

check these out

When do we START :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I don't think this is the clutch in rear type,... maybe I'me wrong
tell me if this is the right kind of transaxle so I can start looking. I found some 08 trannys for $2100 01s are 700 bucks
Attachments
0806tr_08_z+1957_chevy_pickup_tubular_chassis+shifter.jpg
0806tr_08_z+1957_chevy_pickup_tubular_chassis+shifter.jpg (52.66 KiB) Viewed 6967 times
0806tr_07_z+1957_chevy_pickup_tubular_chassis+top_view.jpg
0806tr_07_z+1957_chevy_pickup_tubular_chassis+top_view.jpg (89.43 KiB) Viewed 6966 times
0805tr_03_z+1957_chevy_truck+chassis.jpg
0805tr_03_z+1957_chevy_truck+chassis.jpg (77.65 KiB) Viewed 6964 times
0805tr_02_z+1957_chevy_truck+transaxle.jpg
0805tr_02_z+1957_chevy_truck+transaxle.jpg (54.64 KiB) Viewed 6962 times
Drive'm Hard
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

This is from the 57 chevy pickup tubular chassis "X-posed "
It has a Hurst six-speed shifter and shift rod mounted atop the torque tube translates the gear selections to the Tremec transaxle. A Center Force multi-disc clutch delivers pressure to engage the power to the torque tube shaft and torque ball to the Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual transaxle. The Power Master XS high torque starter engages into the 168-tooth factory flywheel, rotating the Callies crankshaft.

It's a sweet setup for a pickup.
John
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

It's all cool. We are not yet de-railed here. Like all families, it's ok to slap each other around a little just to see if you are awake as long as there are no rocks in those pillows we are using.. :D

Having said that look what we have stumbled onto via our little bun fight.

I dont know anything about this gear from Corvette but I see some splendid potential. The first thing is the torque tube. Porche had it. Volvo had it. This thing has it and so should Alfa have had it cause it is THE solution to all the driveline alignments, couplings and other crapolla associated with the Alfa.
Naturally there would be engineering required behind the engine to make the tube set up work but hey, this is what I mean about re-engineering but keeping the faith. Dont expect to beat the Alfa factory at their own game without some blood and sweat but it can and has been done before.You could use a flexplate behind the engine instead of a flywheel to reduce spinning mass. OOOh Yeah.

The rest of the tranny seems like the goods having the output shafts where they belong. That could be readily modified to use inboard brakes as well without too much hassle including adaptors to mount the calipers.

If it can power a V-10 Viper, it should be up to the job for big power transaxle Alfas as well . Not something I am planning to do but there are obviuosly guys out there that do. Hopefully there are ratios that would be suitable..and six speeds SHEEEIT !!!

As for the outboard brakes, well, if they can be made to work as efficiently as the outboard units (and I know they can)then the original design for inboard application is the way to go for unsprung weight savings and better tyre tracking as we all know. I would need a strong argument to convince me to go otherwise.

Thanks guys, especially jose I for making me aware of this great find. Interesting to say the least.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Well I destroyed 2 gearboxes. Same part which failed, the intermediate piece which holds the bearings. The corvette transaxle sounds really interesting. I wouldn't mind a 6-speed 75, that's for sure. Only thing is we probably need custom final drive ratio, among other custom things to make it fit .
Dr. Alban
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

What are the advantages of a torque tube over an open driveshaft?
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Not 100% sure, but one advantage could be the alignment between the engine and transaxle.
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Grant,
I can think of a few and perhaps others can chime in if I have left out some:-

Once the engine,torque tube and transaxle are bolted together they act as one unit unlike the Alfa set up where all three components are flopping around but trying to work in unison.

This means that the alignments for the key moving parts, ie bearings and prop shaft are as perfect an extension of the crankshaft as the factory intended no matter how many times you pull it apart and put it back togehter again.

No donuts to break-ever.

No balancing problems-ever.

The torque tube is the answer to high power,alignment, coupling breakages, balancing and the "proper" driveline for transaxles. it's the holy grail for trannies.

I WANT ONE. !!
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

How about trying to adapt an engine to TA brace like the MX5/Miata uses? Same/similar concept. Maybe a bit easy to build instead of trying to fit a larger diameter tube in an already cramped space.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Torque tube is heavy. Need a load of redesign work for the integration (probably a clutch up front for instance) and this means lots of parts.

I don't want one. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Are there any bearings supporting the propshaft inside the torque tube or just bearings on both ends and U joints?

If anyone wanted to try this how about Porsche 924/944 driveline? Easier and surely cheaper to get
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Bearings in the tube.

924/944 gearbox has the speedgears behind the output shafts IIRC and that fouls the de-Dion tube.

Fitting a Corvette box should face a similar challenge, it is not small and light as the Alfa unit. :lol: :shock:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

A torque tube, while fun to discuss is probably very complex to actually make and install on an Alfa. It's also totally unnecessary. Check out the new Nissan GTR, it does not have a torque tube and certainly handles plenty of power.

Regarding a better transaxle, I think the Corvette unit would be very tough to fit. Has anyone checked out the transaxles from the latest Maseratis?

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I have personal issues with fitting a gearbox that cost twice the value of the car itself.

So that would be "no" then. :)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

I'm with Mats. If those corvette gearboxes cost $2000+
How much would a maserati gearbox cost..
probably cheapy to keep detroying alfa trannys
Drive'm Hard