81GTV6
Gold
Gold

Best headers to use?

Post by 81GTV6 »

Im pondering if I should get a pair of headers to top off my 164 12v conversion. I am leaning towards the IAPs, what else is out there?
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

CSC?

Post by Michael »

CSC? I have a set in my car...

These are powdercoated. I actually tried a set of IAP headers on my 3 liter and found it impossible to use since they rubbed on the engine webs and the starter. I'm not sure if this was a problem only with my set though. IAP said they would work fine on 3 liter GTV6 engines, but I had to return them eventually. The CSC headers fit well.
The only issue I have had is with a failed flex pipe - I had that replaced and so far, all is good again.

I got mine from PerformaTek but EB Spares in the UK also stock them.

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

@michael

are those special headers for use with a cat? mine looks diffrent.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

No, I just decided to have flanges welded on to make installation and removal more simple. They were then jethot coated which makes them look a little different.
Michael
1981 GTV6
81GTV6
Gold
Gold

Post by 81GTV6 »

How much did you pick them up for?
nicke
Silver
Silver

IAP headers

Post by nicke »

The IAP headers are a pain... I know I got a pair on my car. There's almost no starter clearance and the fit was NOT great. They already eat a starter motor... I had to get a heat sheild custom made... Hopefully it'll be all good from now on. And the surface finish did not last long.

For my track car I'll be getting CSC headrers.

n
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I have the CSC's on mine, with Port & Pol heads, oversized valves, but I am also running cats for emissions, we did a dyno run last night, and two friends with '85 & 86 GTV6's stock except they have no cats, and we all ran about the same numbers, I think I was middle in HP and Torque, but I have the smoothest lines. HP was with in 4 of each other and Torque was with in 3 of each other.
Attachments
17% loss through transaxle
17% loss through transaxle
Dyno Run.jpg (228.02 KiB) Viewed 15216 times
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Nice smooth tourqe curve you've got there Sam, with a bone stock 2.5 some years ago mine showed 131bhp atw also at 5500rpm (dropped a hp at 6k) So it looks like your motor is fit and well.

I have the CSC's on a 3.0 in a GTV6, for anyone thinking of doing the same fit was excellent, althought very tight around the starter heat shield. Haven't dynoed it yet, but I'll post it when I do !
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Dynonight

Post by DaveH »

Some pics from last night's session:
Attachments
P1010051.JPG
P1010051.JPG (60.62 KiB) Viewed 15179 times
P1010052.JPG
P1010052.JPG (59.61 KiB) Viewed 15181 times
P1010054.JPG
P1010054.JPG (58.92 KiB) Viewed 15181 times
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Dynonight

Post by DaveH »

...more...

the new site is so cool! Adding pics is a snap now.
Attachments
P1010055.JPG
P1010055.JPG (58.18 KiB) Viewed 15174 times
P1010056.JPG
P1010056.JPG (58.74 KiB) Viewed 15173 times
P1010057.JPG
P1010057.JPG (56.68 KiB) Viewed 15175 times
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

Dave, that's cool that you ran 3 up at the same time.

Assuming they are all similar gearing is there much difference in how they feel on the road?

The HP curve is really smooth. Can you post the others? I have seen some pretty shaky ones out there.

I have Shankle headers on an 85 that I did not have to fit. They are pretty close to the bellhousing and have clamps (jubilee clips in UK English, can't think of the US name) that I am sure are there to help keep them from interfering with the engine.
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com
Don
Silver
Silver

Post by Don »

I don't have a scanner here at work (not that I would use it during work hours for personal business). I'll scan my dyno sheet tonight and send it along. My torque curve is not bad. Not as smooth as Sam's but not terrible either.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Sam,

With your mods have you thought of MS, GoTech or some type of programmable EFI? It would be even better if they hooked up a wide band A/F meter. Then you can see if you need more fuel.
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Dynonight

Post by DaveH »

Jubilee clips = hose clamps. I'm Irish, so I also forget the isms. Trunk? Hood?

Yeah, it was great to run 3 all at once, same night, same dyno.

I have driven Sam's. His is a beauty, prob the best cared for higher mileage example you'll ever see. 1st thing I noticed was that his higher tyre pressures worked so much better than my 'factory recommended settings'. I now run 30psi all round and am still experimenting. He has Toyos, I have Kumhos. Both great tyres, can't tell if there's much of a difference between them.

Other than the tyre issues, I think both cars feel very similar on the road. Our gearing is different (we've had endless discussion about this) - mine is travelling @ 80mph @ 4k RPM. Year of mfg of mine is late 84, I guess the diff installed then may have been the 4.11. I have the link to that info somewhere...

One thing I have learned is that if your 'box doesn't work right, you're really not enjoying your Alfa. Sam and I overhauled my box, which had the usual impossible-to-downshift-into-2nd problems. Now it works perfectly. It's non isostatic, with an improved pivot fork bushing (roller brgs). Before the overhaul I was only enjoying the car 70% of present. The car was a bear to drive. Taking Sam's for a spin really underscored that.

We'll post some more dyno graphs in due course...need to fire up the scanner on Monday and do that.

Oh, Sam mentioned the Italian tune-up. It was amazing how much cr@p was exhausted from our cars on our first runs. After the initial cleanout, the second runs tended to produce more power. From now on, I'm going to blow the cobwebs out every once in a while...I promise.
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

That is mostly what I have thought about all day, since I am no eletrical engineer (like Dave), the Gotech sounds like a good option, I would like to talk to someone who has fit it to a 2.5. Looking at my chart, I think the AFM is the hold up in mine, I should have no problem with exhaust flow. It was interesting, we popped off my air filter for the last run and I lost 2 hp and picked up 2 ft/lbs of torque, the chart I posted was the 2nd run.

I think to confirm what has been said many times on this forum, a stock 3.0 Verde put down 170hp at the wheels, that truely is the best bang for the buck, but I will continue to work on my 2.5.