Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: 4-cylinder turbo performance

Post by Jim K »

They are very thinwall tubes. I bought the unit as is and never bothered with this issue. Next one I will make myself, will have -10 size proper fittings. These days I will measure intake air temps so I know what the hell is going on.
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Is this the black turbo which beat the 360?

I saw another video of the 75 vs a E36 318i Turbo, based in Greece also. Not sure if it's a 1.9 318i or 1.8 318i. The 75 was slightly faster.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

That black 75T? That car belongs to a friend and has ~450hp. Low rpm is just not there with the huge turbo he's put in....Its now 2liters, but has issues with engine.
I don't usually watch car videos so I don't know the one you're referring to.
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Dr. Alban
jamal555
Silver
Silver

Post by jamal555 »

Hi,

I got an interesting question.

What need to be done to internals of the TS engine compared to 1.8t engine to get around 300hp, crank hp, not whp on regular 98 petrol.

I got both, and will be buying turbo, ex manifold, got adaptronic ecu, front mount ic. etc. which engine internals/head are more suited for boosting taken into account that TS is newer design but I'm not certain about its internals being strong enough?

It wont be daily driver, more of trackday/weekends car.

I heard of two ways of budget comp. reduction for TS, the 1.5 33 pistons or the nord rods. But I'm not sure how reliable that is and is the 1.8t engine better suited for tuning without forged internals.

Thanks.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Ok, some progress... Hooked up a helper spring to the wastegate actuator rod and managed 1.7bar steady in 3rd/4th gears going hard uphill. 1st/2nd will hold 1.5bar steady; if I try 1.7bar there, it'll go too high in 3rd/4th, so I may just leave it as is after I play with it some more. Performance is staggering and I am still surprised at what this thing can do in stock form (well, almost). For people in colder climates, it would be the ideal toy rwd kickass Alfa! :twisted:

jamal555: The 1.8T can make more than 400hp with std internals, so that says quite a lot! If its in good condition, I wouldn't even bother with the TS. Just mill the head 1mm, install an O-ringed Nava or Spesso head gasket and you're ready for routine 1.8bar operation, with a few mods similar to what I have described so far. Its a perfect daily driver with excellent capabilities -if the correct turbo is selected and better intercooling than stock is employed.
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Jamal,

I was on the verge on a 1.8T but changed my mind and went for a 3.2. In hindsight, maybe I should have gone for it. But the big problem according to JK is the liner. Alternative for the 2L is mono liner, but you can buy a whole 1.8T car for the price of a mono liner.
jamal555
Silver
Silver

Post by jamal555 »

Thx for the reply guys,

Looks like ill just take the crank wheel and sensor and throttle plate from the TS. I'm ditching the distributor arm on the 1.8t.

The turbo i'm looking atm is gt2871r and ex manifold will be equal length type. i got intercooler, adaptronic ecu and 630cc injectors already. I'm just looking in which engine to put it all. TS would need a rebuild and the 1.8t is in good condition with good compression and "only" 130k km on it. :) still its gonna get head work new seals, piston rings and spesso gasket.

Btw on that subject i saw spesso has 2 thicknesses 1.6mm and 1.9mm, any difference in design/strength or its just the thickness? I guess I'm going for the 1.6mm one since the head should be lowered by 1mm.

Still trying to source good 10548 cam as u suggested Jim.

Is there a point in raising the rev limit on this engine or is it safe to do it anyways? Saw some guy going ~6.5-7k rpm @1.4bar in duetto on 1.8t.

Jamal.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The TS front cover doesn't fit the Nord. The water jacket doesn't have the clearance to the cam chain that he Nord cover has.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

6500rpm is no problem at all with 1.5bar. If your turbo can supply air, 7000 is ok too. This will all become clear on the dyno.
The gaskets are both same quality. As long as you adjust your cr to no more than 8-8.5:1 you can use either one.
Jim K.
jamal555
Silver
Silver

Post by jamal555 »

The TS front cover doesn't fit the Nord.
I was thinking about the trigger wheel and a sensor. I'm not sure what are u talking about... :)
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The stock sensor has a very nice bracket that mounts on *drumroll* the front cover. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Find a front cover from the 1.8IE engine (which fits directly on the 1.8T) and you solve your problem the best possible way. 8)
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Where the hell would I find that then? :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
jamal555
Silver
Silver

Post by jamal555 »

Hehe,

Its good because i can only find 1.8ie and TS here on salvage yards :) really most common type of engine imported here besides 2.0ts is 1.8ie. we have no carb engines and no 1.8t here some 12v v6 and only in 3.0, but those 1.8ie and 1.6ie there are tons compared to the number of 75's here.

Also sourcing anything alfa before 75 is hard, flat valve cover from early nords etc.