Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: 4-cylinder turbo performance

Post by Jim K »

What you see is what you get. No Cosworth ecu/wiring, not needed -although we just did another such mod in the garage that put out 245hp at 1.5bar. The std fuel computer is perfectly adequate and for ignition I use the MSD 6530 programmable box. Power will depend on boost. 1.2bar=220hp, 1.4=240, 1.6=260, 1.8=280 etc. These numbers are not exact but right in the ballpark. I verified 1.2 and 1.4 with the small snail, remains to see what the 2871 can do. These engines can take a lot of boost in stock form before something breaks; some guys here have pushed 3bar (44psi) :shock: :wall: So, 1.6-1.8 is no problem. The real issue with these pressures and hot weather is the size/efficiency of the IC. It will be interesting to see how the water/air job does.
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jim out of interest , the Imsa 75 that came to SA for two races last year did not have its original engine but the owner had put a 1800 8V in to run in series . They were running minimum 2 bar boost at our high altitude also at extreme track temps and it was reliable . There intercooler set up was really good . We estimated that car had about 400hp when looking at the times it was doing on the track compared to the local cars . Unfortunately our race fuels here played havoc with their lamda as it was " leaded" . They also had no overheating issues . This 1800 set set up was pretty inspiring as they had a good handling car without the heavy big bore upfront . ( not that I would change mine of course :D )
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

The best and last-made factory cars had ~430hp at 2.3bar boost so the numbers are about right. They were not very good daily drivers though... :roll: which is my main interest here, seeing how much power we can get while also being able to negotiate rush hour! Before anyone objects, this is a personal choice and will remain as such. I consider a track car useless, as I get to drive it maybe 10 times every year or once a month... So what, it may be a bit faster than a daily/trackday project which I get to enjoy all year round!
I've said it before, I'd like to see a track comparison of a good V6 (12 or 24v) vs a good 1.8T... May be that the V6 can pull away on a long straight, but then come the turns... :twisted: Its conceivable I will be able to do this test sometime in the near future, with my yet-to-be 3.2 vs the 1.8T. The V6 is expected to have ~300hp and the 1.8T ~270hp or thereabouts. Weight should be about the same so it will be interesting!
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

I'm not worried, your customer in the US probably has US bumpers and a stock hood. While I have a CF hood and EVO bumpers. So I'm pretty sure the handling will be almost the same. :mrgreen:

If he lives in Cali, we can meet at Laguna or Thunderhill to see if the 3.2 or 1.8T wins :twisted:

The only sad part is the torque. Out of a slow turn, the 1.8T will shoot out really quickly.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yes, torque is impressive with the 1.8T. In my measly 243hp I had 371Nm (268ftlbs) !! :P In the new engine, I expect to see over 400Nm (290ftlbs)
Jim K.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I would bet on the 1.8T. Don't get me wrong, I love the V6, but it's just so easy to get power out of these engines when boosted it's tough for anything less than a big bore 24 valver to compete.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Coming from you Greg, there's a lot of weight in that comment! I've said it before and I'll complete my statement now: all we'll ever need as far as Alfas go is a good SC 12v and a good 1.8T. I believe having both these cars makes for a complete and potent stable! By saying 'good' I mean internally modified also, for reliability and more power. Then, if their weight is kept under an entirely feasible 1150kg (2530lbs) -for a road car- with roughly 280-300hp, you're on your way to track fame!
Sure, the 24v is more sophisticated and in TT form a Godzilla, but its significantly more expensive than the other two proposals and oh... an understeering pig too! :twisted:
Jim K.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

JimGreek wrote:Yes, torque is impressive with the 1.8T. In my measly 243hp I had 371Nm (268ftlbs) !! :P In the new engine, I expect to see over 400Nm (290ftlbs)
Jim K.
OK, the engine is making some good torque, but peak numbers don't say all...........
How much torque is it making at say, 2000rpm?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Who gives a f. for 2000rpm? Boost goes positive at 2200 with the small snail. You want 2000, you buy a HyundaiDiesel and work as a cab driver! The dyno operator doesn't goose it until 2500 or so! If someone has enough balls to load a turbocharged engine at 2000rpm (and an Alfa 4cyl alloy engine as such), they'll also be the first to visit the machine shop for out-of-round main bearing webs -and that's no shit! Come on guys, you know better! :shock:
Jim K.
Fifou
Silver
Silver

Post by Fifou »

Hello, i'm French and i have an Alfa 75 Turbo Evoluzione (typo 162B1E).
The motor have news stock pistons and colombo&bariani cams, an ecu Sybele Challenger 5 with two mappings.
The motor is in the break-in period with my old garrett T3.
Soon, I am going to put a garrett GT28rs with AR47 trim for 1.2 bar boost for second map (0.8 bars for first map for running cool).

Here two photos :

My friend have a 75 turbo with EVO motor with garrett T3 : 280cv and 390 Nm !
He is going to put also a GT28rs and obtain more than 300cv :twisted:
We love these motors !

(sorry for my bad english... :oops: )
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Fifou , nice pics . Pipe work and intercooler set up look very neat .
75EVO , you don't have to worry about low torque at 2000rpm if learn to drive like Larini . I watched these guys many years ago pitch the car sideways in the boost then hit the slow bends to be under full power . Now for the novice its not recommended . Even at our Zwartkops track with a total hairpin at 40km/h the IMSA 75 turbo driver found away to totally floor it . Off the subject I wonder what power the new F1 1600 turbo will make at 2000pm ?
Personally I don't think for me as a track car I would worry about anything under 2800rpm :D
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

JimGreek wrote:Who gives a f. for 2000rpm? Boost goes positive at 2200 with the small snail. You want 2000, you buy a HyundaiDiesel and work as a cab driver!
What??? Is this a track only car or a road car?
Any idiot can stick a bigger and newer turbo on an existing turbo engine and go "Ohh, ahh look at all of this grunt that I've got!", but big deal!
What you gain at the top, with bigger turbo's, you typically loose at the bottom. And a smallish capacity ROAD car engine, pushing a relatively heavy chassis, that uses reasonably tall gearing and has a turbo upgrade that looses low RPM torque, SUCKS!!!

JimGreek wrote:The dyno operator doesn't goose it until 2500 or so! If someone has enough balls to load a turbocharged engine at 2000rpm (and an Alfa 4cyl alloy engine as such), they'll also be the first to visit the machine shop for out-of-round main bearing webs -and that's no shit! Come on guys, you know better! :shock:
Jim K.
Wow! So yo can't floor it at 2000rpm??? That is 1 of the dumbest things I've read in a long time!
By what means are you running this engine, an abacus clocked by a sun dial???
I guess Greg can't add 7+psi of positive displacement supercharger delivered boost pressure, at 2000rpm (or less), to an engine without it turning inside out. :shock:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

You want turbo response at 1600rpm, you buy a new Fiat or Alfa Mito, gas, diesel or something like that. Otherwise, use abacus; large selection here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40
Jim K.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Compared to the ancient T3 originally fitted to the 75 Tb you can gain both in the upper range as in spool with a modern ballbearing turbo.. :wink:

If you want to drive faster/ sportier with a 75 Tb ( or any other Alfa, even the diesels) you find yourself rarely at 2000 rpm so i don't really see the problem there.
Drive it like you stole it...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

400 hp turbo :shock:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.94 KiB) Viewed 6133 times