GarthW
Verde
Verde

Twin Turbo thoughts and ideas..

Post by GarthW »

Hey all, well i'm may be going the twin turbo route in the not too distant future. The single setup is just too retrictive i think for what i want.

Anyone have any good turbo sizes for around 300-350 HP.?

I'm thinking of running twin plenum chambers with seperate throttle bodies..shouldnt be too much work changing it over i think... :roll:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Re: Twin Turbo thoughts and ideas..

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Still worried about the standard plenum being to restrictive? :?

Making it TT is very much work i guess. You would add another turbo, dowmpipe, oil feed, oil drain and a lot of other piping and stuff. ot to mention that you would need new manifolds also.

Changing to a bigger single would be the easier and cheaper option. You would also be back on the street sooner. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hey Evo, well i'm thinking about going that route, but maybe i'll stick with what i have...dunno, think i'm just getting bored...maybe i should do another car, i'm not sure.

I'm going to rebuild the turbo i have now to what Jim recommended, will have 300hp easily then. But i thought with the 2 turbos i could get them second hand to start with, i do all the exhaust and manifold work, pipe work myself, plenum chamber fitment..i could do it easily..but yeah will still cost me around $2k..anyway its something different for me to do, its my only hobby after all i suppose. :roll:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

garth, youre forgetting something very restrictive - GEARBOX :?: Youre totally wasting your time sadly. Between myself , Frank(white TT) and Dougie (3.7) there is a pile of 15 scrap gearboxes. Its not a one off break.
Attachments
new stuff 015.jpg
new stuff 015.jpg (66.56 KiB) Viewed 12251 times
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

For fucks sake, instead of asking a bunch of guys who run na cars, why don't you go ask the turbo toyo guys about 1JZ/2JZ turbo selections?

I've been in a turbo liberty with the 3l flat six in it and a big f-off garret single - no lag, just makes stupid power instantly...
Just put a bigger single on it, no re-working the manifolds, minimal fucking around, just fit it, tune it and drive it till it breaks.
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Garth, how much work would it be to replace the turbine flange with a T3 one?

Me and a mate put an external gate Garrett GT30 (.64 AR turbine housing from memory) on his injected 2.6 Sigma.
Turbo response is very impressive.
The car still uses a reprogrammed early Magna computer and tiny AFM, and the dyno operator was a complete dud (he couldn't even scale the graph properly, so we didn't see the top of the curve and their logo was all over the graph any way), so outright power isn't known, but it should smash 200RWKW with ease when we finish fitting the EMS 4424 and get it tuned.

That or twin R34 GTR turbos :D
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Damn you guys are right you know...Ben, that sounds like an idea to say the least..
Kevin, yes your right too about the gear box's...hmmmm(damn)

Duk-Dont those Sigmas fly..? And your mate has a boosted one! :D

To put a T3 flange on would be a walk in the park..also my manifold has been extremly reliable, so scrapping it would be a shame indeed.
But like the T3 idea Duk...damn gonna pull turbo off this weekend and have it rebuilt...! 8)

Ok, tell you guys what...will rebuild my snail soon, and will keep you guys informed!!!

If i'm not happy with that, then twins it is, 12 psi with meth inj and leave it at that. But Kevin has me scared about gear boxs now!!! :cry:

And if all that doesnt sedate me, then i'm getting an RX7 S6 and putting a 20B in it.
Saw one today and just melted...such a sexy car, sorry if noone like rotors here, hehe. :lol: Or a toyota Chaser, dont know why but i really like them lol....but the gtv6, dont know what it is, but she has me by the balls i tells ya!!!! Haha. :P

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Garth, there ain't nothing wrong with appreciating Japanese engineering.
They've done some excellent stuff over the years and at amazing prices and with build quality and durability to boot.

So just do what I do, and have an Alfa and a Toyota (still have the Nissan, but it's been behaving itself lately. Touch hairy wood). I'd do unpleasant things to complete strangers for a well modified FD3S (series 6-8) RX7 :twisted:

Sux to be the inbred fool who can't acknowledge Japanese performance cars.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

GarthW wrote: If i'm not happy with that, then twins it is, 12 psi with meth inj and leave it at that. But Kevin has me scared about gear boxs now!!! :cry:
No point in going twins, lets face it. The first thing Supra guys do is put on a big single. so do most skyline guys...
Found the figures - the liberty makes 317kw at 14psi... running out of fuel because of a dead fuel pump... single Garrett GT40 with a 1.06 exhaust housing. There's plenty left in it with a new pump and some tuning.

1966 GTV
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Do I detect a faint scent of Hypoid oil? 8)

A guy here in Sweden is making his own 4-disc wankel for his Volvo 142. Intresting build indeed, lots of pictures. Rotating assy ready for hardening soon.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hehe yeah Duk, the FD's are just insane... :wink: I love japanese cars.

Ben-yeah they go single because there straight six engines...a V6 is simply better suited to a twin i think.

Nice pis mate, very nice fabrication. 8)

Ok, thanks for the help y'all. I'm gonna keep single configuration, and if that dont do it, i'm going japanese, nuff said...i want big power lol.

Think i may be well wasting my time with old alfas...

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Mats wrote: A guy here in Sweden is making his own 4-disc wankel for his Volvo 142. Intresting build indeed, lots of pictures. Rotating assy ready for hardening soon.
Any link to that insane project? i always love these undertakings.... And the swedes are very good in making the impossible happen. :P
Drive it like you stole it...
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

GarthW wrote: Ben-yeah they go single because there straight six engines...a V6 is simply better suited to a twin i think.

Nice pis mate, very nice fabrication. 8)

Ok, thanks for the help y'all. I'm gonna keep single configuration, and if that dont do it, i'm going japanese, nuff said...i want big power lol.

Think i may be well wasting my time with old alfas...
They go a single because a good modern single is very responsive, and a darn sight cheaper than buying two decent smaller turbos...
1966 GTV
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Yeah Ben true. Also the reason i went single in the first place was because i wanted less weight in the front end,
less water consumption, and oil...

Think i'll do it up abit more, and simply enjoy it. 8)

Selling 1985 GTV6.