Barry
Verde
Verde

Re: JK 24v 3liter ..at last!

Post by Barry »

Whoa !! There`s a problem ! If you look past the crank pulley at the front timing cover you will see the belt is rubbing against the belt shroud here..This will give you endless frustrations and have you pulling your hair out for days on end !
You may even doubt your ability as an engine builder at your golden age !! You may even *gasp!* ask a stranger for advice !!

So Im just pointing it out early for you... 8) :mrgreen:
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hah!...What we have here folks is a man who disappeared somewhere in Tibet for a couple of years and along with the secret leprechaun handshake, was tought the secrets of X-ray vision by some invisible 3-legged monks in lead underpants! :oops: :lol:
Welcome back doc!
Jim K.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Cheers Mr K...It means a lot.
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Updates? :)
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Austerity measures means no dyno :D
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Actually no....The guys at the garage had a bunch of dead/half-dead batteries which they used to start the car with. Poles coming on and off 2-3 times a day and battery chargers hooked on and guess what?? The ecu died! :evil:
I wasn't there when it happened but you can imagine...Anyway, the car sat there for a week or so while I rechecked all wiring and tried (in vain) to see if there was something to be done with the ecu. Finally, I ended up ordering the only one available from ebay for...ouch..~492Euros :shock: Unfortunately, 164Q4 ecu's (Bosch p/n 0261203301 -without immobilizer) are very rare. Maurizio has located someone in NL who can probably repair bad ones, so I'm giving them a try also so that I will have a spare. Damn, this is a setback...As soon as I receive the ecu, we will continue driving for 300 more km (with unleaded 98-oct gas going for ~1.90Euro/liter) and then map/dyno. Reasonably enough, my mechanic agreed to pay for a large part of the damage...
The worst part of it all is that we missed the Alfa club 3-day track meet where we aimed for one of the top slots, considering the car weighs 1104kg (no driver, no gas) and should have ~260-270hp, which we'll know about soon enough. I put the car on the scales and surprisingly enough, front/rear bias is 55/45 with me in and no gas! We will repeat weighing with a full tank when we're up and running again. Stay tuned! :wink:
Jm K.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

send an email to CMVA (at)zeelandnet.nl

That guy has wrecked a few 164 Q4's and still has a lot of parts. :wink:

immobilizer code removing is not really a problem.
Drive it like you stole it...
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Just to keep you guys entertained for a while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tck7mhPK6xM
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Thanks; I'm not worried about the immobilizer, the sale price is what counts! There are other 164 Super 24v ecu's for as low as 60Euros around but the Q4 is special as its the only one with sequential injection, 2 oxygen sensors (one for each bank of cylinders) and a hot-film mass airflow sensor instead of a vane type afm. In other words...rare!
The video obviously is from before the ecu crapped out!
Jim K.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

I'm pretty sure that Ed ( CMVA) doesn't charge you anything like 490 euro's for it... :shock:

Isn't it by any chance the same ecu as used on a bmw or something like that? just with another program written on the chip? The motronic Ml4.1 ecu from the 75 TS for example worked on mij friends Peugeot 205 GTI with MI16 engine... ran a little rough but still it ran. 8) Pin-out is for most Motronics quite similar and there probably is a car with the same ecu, you just need to find it :( and then switch over your chip. :|
Drive it like you stole it...
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Clever thinking :wink: I've actually been looking at this for days. Its Motronic M3.7.1 (88-pin connector) and unfortunately very few cars had this version. Surprisingly enough, the 3liter 12v Spider uses this system (0261203514 ecu). There are none on ebay, but I first have to verify the pinout connections from a diagram I'm expecting any day now.
Thanks,
Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Giuliettaevo2 wrote:I'm pretty sure that ..

I contacted him already..... don't be so sure :lol:

spare part dealers/wreckers know their prices also, or else there is no fun in it for them either!
front/rear bias is 55/45 with me in and no gas!
even before lunch :lol:
Last edited by Maurizio on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Luis
Gold
Gold

Post by Luis »

164 3.0 Q4 (4x4) / Motronic M 3.7.1
GTV 3.0 V6 24V / Motronic M 3.7.1
Spider 3.0 V6 12V / Motronic M 3.7.1

Lancia:(sometimes)
Kappa 3.0i 24V V6
Bosch Motronic M 3.7.1

Kappa 3.0i 24V V6 Station Wagon
Bosch Motronic M 3.7.1

Kappa Coupe 3.0i 24V V6
Bosch Motronic M 3.7.1
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Thanks Luis,
These are all Alfa engines but unfortunately not found here in Greece and if cars don't exist, wreckers don't bring in similar used cars for parts. I was hoping some 6cyl BMW would have a comparable ecu giving me a better chance of finding one here. Anyway, the ebay part may arrive today so the car should be rumming tomorrow...we'll see.
Jim K.
Luis
Gold
Gold

Post by Luis »

The 147 GTA also have 7.3.1

It seems that only alfa engines have that ECU.

Take a look at this forum, pinouts of the ECU:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147 ... agram.html

Why not going to Megasquirt? it has full sequential injection, ignition, double O2 and so on in the last MS3 (even MS2extra too), and it is cheaper than that spare ECU you are going to buy.