Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Adjusting L-Jet mixture with the Black Box

Post by Greg Gordon »

I know not too many of us are tuning with L-Jet anymore. Still, I felt the need to update my black box. It works extremely well. It's essentially just like the black box I have made for years, but now it's infinitely variable and the setting can be adjusted from inside the cabin.

Here is a video of it in action. Sorry it's a little shaky, I had to drive, watch for traffic, etc. while filming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGTqPQUAkX0
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Re: Adjusting L-Jet mixture with the Black Box

Post by fedezyl »

Nice, so how much for the keyless GTV6 system?? hahah :P
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The keyless ignition is 1,000,000 usd.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Type in this discount code on GG's website, give you 75% discount before you checkout:

#^&%GREEKSTER*&^^OIL***^^^

:mrgreen:

BTW, will this work on a motronic M1.7?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

75evo wrote:
BTW, will this work on a motronic M1.7?
I don't know for sure. I think it will work on 1.7 but haven't tried it. It has worked on Motronic basic (1.0), 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3. It's also been used on most versions of L-Jet including the Japanese and British build licensed versions.

Greg
shiny_car
Silver
Silver

Post by shiny_car »

Nice, Greg.

I am rebuilding a 3.0 Milano/75 L-Jet, with S-cams, your original K&N intake, Stage 1 injectors, and CSC exhaust (incl headers and will add cats).

What can I expect from The Black Box?
In particular, seat-of-the-pants performance gain???

And would I need a wideband sensor/meter to tune it? I presume so.

Thanks, Richard.

:)
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Richard,

With the black box you can expect to be able to adjust the air fuel ratios down to the ideal 12.5:1. A mild 3.0 will tend to run around 14.0-1 with L-Jet and the mods you described. How much more power will that add? Probably about 5 horsepower, but more importantly it will reduce the tendency to knock allowing a little more timing, which could increase power more. I wouldn't be surprised if this mod plus an extra 5-6 degrees of ignition timing would give 10hp on a "S" spec 3.0 running L-Jet.

You do NOT need the wideband sensor. You can adjust it by reading the factory O2 sensor's voltage output. Adjust the knob so you get a solid 9.0 volts at full throttle and that will be pretty darn close to correct. Not as good as a wide band but close enough for most. From there you can use trial and error.

I only installed the wideband in this car so the video would clearly show what I have been saying for years, that my black box just plain works.

Greg
shiny_car
Silver
Silver

Post by shiny_car »

That's good. Thanks for the feedback, and will give it more thought.

:)
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

I got RJ cams in my 155 V6 and a squadra chip (for a stock cam). I think it's running a little lean.

Does this thing require a vacuum input and does it intercept the AFM or temp sender somewhere to fool the ECU?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Yes, and Yes. It's exactly the same as the black box I have been selling for years. It's just like the one I used to modify L-Jet for supercharging, although it's now refined a little more with in cabin adjust-ability.

Greg
Alfa GTV6 NZ
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfa GTV6 NZ »

Awesome work Greg!

Im just wondering if you could give me some more info on how it wires in without giving away too many secrets.
My GTV6 has no o2 sensor, larger cams, better (euro style) exhaust and k&n filter.
Would it still work with mine ok?

Was looking at installing a o2 sensor and gauge to check how it is performing not to stray off topic but would you recommend a sensor per bank or just one would do?

Also are these still USD195 or dearer with the in car adjustment?
Keep up the great work!
1987 GTV6 - Livin in New Zealand.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Thanks,

The price is now down to $125 because it's much easier for us to put together. The old version took us 4 hours to make, the new takes much much less. It's really pretty simple but most of the cost is still from the labor side.

It interrupts the coolant temp sensor's signal, so there is only one wire on the car to cut and feed through the box. During normal driving the signal is left alone but at or near full throttle it cuts the signal and forces it through the box. There is literally only one wire to cut, and it's super easy to get too.

The rest of the wiring harness is pre-assembled and soldered so it's pretty much plug and play.

As for installing multiple O2 sensors, I don't think it's worth it for 99% of the applications out there. All the injectors get the same signal so the only variable is the injectors themselves, and air leaks. Provided the injectors are in decent shape and there are no leaks one sensor is all you need.

Greg
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Greg,

Doesn't the Jetronic system in GTV6s have a wide-open throttle sensor to enrich the charge?

Does your black box replace or supplement that system?

--MALDI
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Greg , is it possible to use the black box on the 2.5 L jet system when putting a 3.0 12v in The car . Are the parameters " wide" to get the 3.0 running to correct Afr levels .
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

kevin wrote:Greg , is it possible to use the black box on the 2.5 L jet system when putting a 3.0 12v in The car . Are the parameters " wide" to get the 3.0 running to correct Afr levels .
Yes, it will easily allow you to use all 2.5 stuff in a 3.0 conversion. No problem at all.

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.hiperformancestore-fiat.com
www.okinjectors.com