Post by Jim K »

Bla-bla-bla.... HAVE YOU PUT THE CAMS IN YET???????? :?: :roll:
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Re: Jim K. 3.2 engine

Post by 75evo »

Man, I dont even have an engine yet. It's with my buddy. He is building it for me. Everything is there. Just got 2 plenums, and a plasma cutter since NO waterjet or laser place even wants to entertain small jobs. Anyway just waiting for the good stuff to be done...hopefully this century. No seriously the target date is early 2016.

I have not much time for cars lately. Really thinking of that M3 these days. But the V8 gas mileage is appalling. Cheaper to drive my Toyota V8 SUV!!! Maybe the E46 M3 is what I should go after :)

Actually....one set of cams is ALREADY in my 156 3.0...so there !!! :lol:
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Maybe the E46 M3 is what I should go after

:roll: It is a slowly spreading disease
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Before the break-in miles trip, I decided to make a new ps pump bracket. The old one broke twice and I had to improve the design. It broke (5mm thick iron plate) because forces were applied almost perpendicular on the plate. I can't do much about the forces (vibration and belt tension) so I made the base out of 8mm plate. Let's see how long it lasts this time! 8)
In The pics you can see the ...JK CAD method (Cardboard Assisted Drawing :lol: ) and the finished article. Note that for this application I remove the mounting 'ears' of the std 75 ps pump. The slots -obviously enough- are for belt adjustment.
Jim K.

Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

"Iron plate"???
Shoulda made it from steel. :wink:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Well, if this one fails too, no more belt-driven hydraulic pump. Yesterday I saw a friend's car (VW Golf 2liter racer) with the electro-hydraulic pump from a Peugeot 206. Very compact and neat installation.
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

I have a electro hydraulic unit from a Saxo or something. One 75 24v owner who did it said the current draw seemed too much for his stock alternator. I think a high output alternator is a must. But that's the easy part, lots of BMw alternators can be easily adapted.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

My mate who races a75 with 24v 3.2 motor has a Saab steering pump in the boot . Car has standard alternator with a tiny race battery and no issues over the whole weekends racing . So their are lots of options . I will post some pics in another thread .
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

Hello Jim. Hope your well and enjoying the new year. Any updates
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Still waiting for my buddy to finish the modified std airbox after which I'll drive the car to the guy who is making the wire harnesses. I drive the car around the neighborhood a bit every few days to keep the battery charged and to see if any followers are sticking. On another note, I got 3 more Lancia Kappa 24v ecu's which are of the same Bosch M3.7.1 family. With the immobilizer removed, they are plug-n-play in the Alfa. I promise not to buy any more ecu's for the 24v engine :roll: ... I now have 9 good ones. 5 Lancia origin 0261203482 and 4 164Q4 0261203301. I was made an impossibly ridiculous offer for the Lancia units and I now feel safe -after all, how many can crap out? Once the car is mapped with one of these ecu's, the eprom will be copied for the others. The next and last step will be mapping the Emerald K6 to end the story with. I'll be back for updates.
Jim K.

PS. If anyone wants a proper custom rwd wiring harness for these engines and ecu's, now is the time to think about it!
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Hey JK,

I'm interested in the Emerald K6 ecu. For my 156 3.0 with your 10mm cams. No chance of getting a good motronic guy to program it....unless I cross the border to Singapore.

How much was it? Looking at their website price, it looks the price is reasonable.
Last edited by 75evo on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

What's reasonable, is the fact you can map it yourself! Check out the manual and read it if you have time. You can order it 'pre-configured' as I did, which means it'll work right off the bat. Then, you can start finalizing it yourself by driving and working with a wbo2. When you finally have it working well -and after some dyno mapping time- you can revert to the closed loop mode and you're all set (in so many words).
Another great choice you have with Emerald, is the possibility to have THEM tune your ecu via Team-Viewer!! I'll try this myself. You have the car on the dyno and THEY control mapping with their keyboards in UK! This I GOTTA see! :shock:

Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Jim,
In the past, I have installed the "square" steering pump from the 164 engine. More compact and no issues.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I'm 100% ok now with the 75 parts. No leaks/binding at all, so I'll leave it as is. The rack/pump rebuilds did their stuff.

Jim K.