Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: Jim K. 3.2 engine

Post by Jim K »

Well, now that you have the new rods, the best thing you can do is carefully grind off those ugly lumps from both ends, balance the rods end-to-end and then polish the area as best you can. If shotpeening is available, go for it but cover the bearing and pin surfaces. Tip: Very small weight differences can be corrected by grinding a bit off the bolt threaded ends.

Jim K.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

Jim K wrote:Well, now that you have the new rods, the best thing you can do is carefully grind off those ugly lumps from both ends, balance the rods end-to-end and then polish the area as best you can. If shotpeening is available, go for it but cover the bearing and pin surfaces. Tip: Very small weight differences can be corrected by grinding a bit off the bolt threaded ends.

Jim K.
thanks again Jim. be re reading you book today to refresh the right way to do standard rods
awaiting on a set of max rods and will collect if they come at the right price. but thought i would acquire these just in case. either way will sort these so if i dont use i can ebay them. thanks again.
alterro
Silver
Silver

Post by alterro »

Jim,
I have a question. What do you think of that instead of skimming the heads you could use thinner head gaskets (from normal 1.6mm to 1.0mm in case of 3.0 24v should increase CR from 10.0 to ~11.3). In theory it should be better because you decrease squish and increase combustion quality.
Best regards,
Adam
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Going from 1.6mm to 1mm head gasket will only raise CR from 10 to ~10.7:1 but you are correct, squish is very important and one way to promote it is to raise the piston by using offset conrod small-end bushings, a relatively simple job for any respectable automotive machine shop. For best results/reliability, I would use oem gasket, offset small-end bushing and mill the heads. Aim for squish clearance of no less than ~0.8mm to be safe...

Jim K.
alterro
Silver
Silver

Post by alterro »

You're right, 10.7, my fault.
So the only reason why would you want to raise the piston is to use the original gasket, right?
Changing gasket's thickness to 0.8mm would even increase CR to ~11.0.
Best regards,
Adam
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I am not sure traditional gaskets can be reliably made in very low thickness, so I prefer to stick with the Goetze-Reinz quality track record. How thin AND reliable can gaskets be made?

Jim k.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

Jim K wrote:Hahah, you can blame the weatherman for this, plus the fact that I'm away on vacation from today and will be back end of the month. Talked with the dyno/mapper yesterday and we decided to do IT sometime in September. In the meantime, all is well with the two gta fans, even in this summer heat. Truth is, I drive it very little. I use the 1.8T instead for short trips -besides the Hyundai family 'workhorse'. Don't worry, the project ain't dead just yet!
These last few months -on and off- I've been looking to improve flow in the 1.8T heads and I've made good headway. The final outcome along with full engine builds will be part of the new book on 24v and 1.8T engines. NO dates yet so don't ask. I still say, if the 1.8T was made available to more markets, there would be far fewer V6 owners... 8)

Jim K.
September is nearly over ..... has it happened yet
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Its cooking.... but its also hard to part with ~400€ ... :(

Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Crowd fund it! Create a kickstarter account with something like...

"Would YOU like to see 320 bhp on an Alfa V6? Well today's your lucky day! Your chance to win ME (Jim K) a Euro 400 trip to the dyno! Sponsors of 50 euros or more get an autographed dyno sheet"

Just make sure your kickstarter page has lots colors and cool photos. Like a nice blonde on the 75's bonnet should bring in some big moolah ( Make sure she's not a heavy one, or she will dent the bonnet :lol: )

:mrgreen:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Ok, you be my ad manager and the first contributor of 50€! You have my bank details! 8)
Hmmm, how about if I put up as a lottery prize the two spare modified 24v heads? They are finished and complete, with flowbench measurement to boot! 8)

Jim K.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

saw i great idea on another forum where a seller sold 600 @ £10 lottery tickets to raise the 6000.00 he wanted for his car

he got the money and someone got a bargain... wasn't me though.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hmmm, not a bad thought! 8) Two snags here: few interested people and how/who picks the winner?

Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Sell the car or sell the dyno session results?

I'll definitely chip in a bit for your dyno. I want to see some results.

Or maybe you can setup a betting event. :lol:

"Will My 3.2 have 300 bhp? That's the Euro400 question and YOU, YES YOU with the bad yellow teeth, hold the key to the answer! Place your wager!"

You're like Ladbrokes. Ladbrokes where the lads go and end up broke.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

Jim K wrote:Hmmm, not a bad thought! 8) Two snags here: few interested people and how/who picks the winner?

Jim K.

should be loads of interested people wanting modified V6 heads

and if you fly me to Greece for a few weeks i will make time to pick a winner lol
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

I'll buy the heads for 400E?!
Fixing it bit by bit....