gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

removing reduntant rod material

Post by gtv-racer »

Now that i'm overhauling my engine i'm thinking of removing reduntant material from the rods as discribed in the JK V6 book.

I'm planing to ballance the rods and pistons.

But if i romove material from the rods and maybe from the pistons, do i have to rebalance the crank assambly also?

Max rpm is set at 6500.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: removing reduntant rod material

Post by Jim K »

Definitely!

Jim K.
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Post by gtv-racer »

Thanks Jim.
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Post by gtv-racer »

one more question. because i had a broken cam belt i want to check or the rods are stil straight. There's a nice procedure in the manual how to check this. But they don't specify how straigth it should be.

Made a setup for checking.

anyone?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Many years ago I made this simple jig to check V6 rod straightness (not twist which is more rare). The big end has to be a perfect fit on the 'journal'. You check the dial indicator for max reading by moving the small end slightly left/right and turn the rod around. If you get the same reading its straight. If not a light tap on the beam with the rod sitting between two wooden blocks will surely bring it back, until the reading is exactly the same. Its very easy to bent a rod and equally easy to straighten it. To check for twist, you'll need a more elaborate setup but not necessary in my opinion.
Jim K.
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Post by gtv-racer »

thanks! :)