Mats
Verde
Verde

Alquati 34 cams

Post by Mats »

Anyone with experience on these cams? Target compression ratio? Timing (camshaft)?

Other nessecary mods like clearance in the lifter holes and valve reliefs? Probably both I'm guessing... :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Alquati A34: Race engine application, 10,8mm lift, suggested timing: 50-80-80-50, suggested clearance in/ex:0,40mm.
No cutouts required on follower bores.
(Another dated old school design!) :roll:
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

oh, that's gonna hurt to tell my buddy who traded a set of CB11 for them... :(
Got a complete head too though. :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Jim,

some more work for you. Ouch, this will cost me some schnitzels.
Any opinion on the cams?
Std should be obvious
L320 I have now as intake
CB302 is my current exhaust
"298" is my new intake (Camzilla on the picture)
CB 306 is my new exhaust.
CB 308 was an option I disn't take.
Attachments
cams2.gif
cams2.gif (33.58 KiB) Viewed 10591 times
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Micke, in the first place, how did you decide to use different cams for in/ex? Did flow measurements show the exhaust flows too much?
Is all this for a TS or 105 Nord? What is the rpm range of the engine,CR, valve size, which exhaust manifold, carbs? Sorry but I must get an idea what you're trying to do! Is it 100% racecar? If yes, use the highest CR for special competition fuels (some guys here use 13,5:1 with special imported-expensive-gas) Then, you can also go with 12,7-13mm lift and 280+ @1,25mm and forget about anything below 4500rpm. If you want to be top banana, call Alfaholics (UK) and ask about the big-valve Evans head, but you'll wave goodbye to about 1500GBPounds. They reportedly make more than 200hp with all the right stuff, pulling from ~5k-7,5krpm.
Jim K.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Ok, lets see if I can attach an Excel cam graph. Beware: I had to work backwards from the curve I have on paper and thats where the coordinates came from-it is not the original calculation (thats why it looks a bit scruffy) but this is an example of a modern high power design. Note specifically the high acceleration ramp and the low valve clearance requirement, allowing max effective lift. This profile would work best with 46+mm valves. If it attaches to this post, fine and if it don't, well, goodnight for now! 8)
Jim K.
Attachments
JK304-13.2mm.xls
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
JK304-13.2mm.xls
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
JK304-13.2mm.xls
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Like I said....goodnight! No cam-graph this time. Must figure out how to post Excel- can it be done?
Jim K.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

So, I'm better than you at least at something 8)
I have to admit it took some time for me to figure it out as well.
Tried to copy the excel chart and paste to photopaint. Only black&white. Next paste to coreldraw. Voila. then export as TIF. Didn't work, next gif and it worked.

My current engine is a Nord with original valves and ported for race/street. Produces about 180 hp with 48 mm carbs. Not much punch below 3000 rpm and good power from 5 to 7k5.

The new one will be race only TS. 46 mm itake valves. Original exhaust. Yes, according to our flow measurements the Nord at least can do with milder exhaust valves than intake. Not sure about the TS with smaller exhaust valves. Might need to change them.

Fuel injection as we discussed in another tread.

Exhaust planned to be 42 mm primaries stepping up to 45 after 30 cm. 45 cm of this into a 60 mm collector which should be 74 cm long. After this as open as possible.

CR about 12.5. I don't expect or need any torque below 4000 rpm. Useful rpm range hopefully about 5-8k with best power between 6 and 7k5.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Re the computer stuff, too late for me to learn Chinese at this age, Micke! I'll give it another try this evening, by putting the graph in 'my doc' (if I can even do that!)and see if I can post as picture.
Funny thing, from your motor specs, you need this exact cam of mine! If you want, I'll try to find the original design and send you the data. (ok, this is free, no food! :lol: Remember this 'food for oil' logo for Iraq? Well, I changed it to 'food for cams' hahah! :lol: )
Flow testing the 105 head has shown the ex valve to be too large. I will have to test a TS also, but they have 38mm ex valves. I suspect they would work very well with 46 intakes (although you have more shrouding in the TS compared to the 105).
Jim K.
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Slightly off topic but does anyone have specifications for the C & B cams as well as 164 Q cams for a 2.5 v6? Just trying to figure out which one to get for a mainly street car which will run aftermarket ecu.
Thanks for any info.
Brian
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

JimGreek wrote:Alquati A34: Race engine application, 10,8mm lift, suggested timing: 50-80-80-50, suggested clearance in/ex:0,40mm.
No cutouts required on follower bores.
(Another dated old school design!) :roll:
Jim K.
Guys, sorry to drag the thread back up, but I had A34s in "La Strega Nera" before I sold her and she got written off.... fun street cam is about all I can say about them.. from memory they came on at about 3500rpm?

Yeah, I'm back... got my eye on an Alfetta project car too...
Gotta re-learn all this alfa stuff again :P

Ben
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

BEN! Welcome back!

Have you been cured from that weird american V8 virus or have you thought of a nice project on the side?

Cheers!
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Dennis wrote:BEN! Welcome back!

Have you been cured from that weird american V8 virus or have you thought of a nice project on the side?

Cheers!
Still mucking around with that dirty great big blue thing, its now making 410rwhp on a Dyno Dynamics, its about 520hp and 470ftlb at the crank... but i've been itching for another GTV.... so it'll be a side project...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Welcome back Ben... Told you you'd be back... :D
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Ben,Ben,Ben.....wtf is....no,no...joking...WELCOME back mate.. :D
As we all said,Youll be back...( insert Arnies germanic voice here..)