Amit
Silver
Silver

Giulietta Mods

Post by Amit »

Hi guys! What can i do to a standard 1982 Giulietta? I am looking for modifications to the engine and body. Is there anywhere in South Africa i can get it done?
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Is there anywhere in SA you can get it done!?

Has to be one of the funnier things Ive read recently, considering that the craziest Alfas have all come out of SA!

Im certain this will start a long winded V6 vs four cylinder discussion, which is generally a good thing if you dont know what it is you want yet!

Body mods- why bother? getting it looking nice with a good set of wheels, and a Giulietta looks great- it's simple styling can be a curse, but all they need is a set of simple three piece 17s IMO.

http://www.simmonswheel.com.au/ - yeah they are expensive, but just something along these lines- they suit all Alfas perfectly. OM17s and FR17s are my faves.

South Africa Autoquip Ph. 27 -11-493 3600
Fax. 27-11-493 0145 - just found this too... they are the Simmons SA agents. No I dont work for them. Just love em!

Engine wise? I have a forced induction fetish. Turbos are the great equaliser, and there's nothing as fun as showing someone with an engine twice your size, where to go.
IMO a 75 1.8T engine is a perfect place to start. Fit a 3" exhaust and a decent dump pipe, have a front mount intercooler fitted, pull the AFM off and throw it in the bin, and fit some engine management. Put that in something like a Giulie with a 4.11:1 rear end and youre talking serious fun. Fit an LSD Twinspark box and diff and it gets even better.

Or you can do what fellow South African Barry H is doing, and fit up a custom 3.8 V6 with insane internals. Bit more work, but nevertheless, an engine like that just begs to get flogged- as I know from mine, there's nothing like a naturally aspirated six to make the hairs stand up on your back (except a Twin Turbo one!)

Let the posts roll! :lol:
Fixing it bit by bit....
Hamishm00
Gold
Gold

Re: Giulietta Mods

Post by Hamishm00 »

Amit wrote:Hi guys! What can i do to a standard 1982 Giulietta? I am looking for modifications to the engine and body. Is there anywhere in South Africa i can get it done?
Hehehe yeah, a South African asking this question is like asking the question "is the pope catholic" or "is Osama Bin Laden a terrorist?"

I think Barry has a few options he can put on the table, if he's willing to do the job (ie if the price is right!).

I'd personally recommend putting a 3.0l multivalve v6 in there with a Haltec engine management system and a nice exhaust!
Dos circos de 156 3.76L v6 cavalinhos
Amit
Silver
Silver

Mods

Post by Amit »

Guys, SA is a huge place. I live in Durban, im surrounded by these dumbass jap cars. Im sick of seeing those filthy Toyos flaunting their stuff. I jus wana teach em a lesson & show em what Alfa is made of. I have Alfa running in my veins, my dad owned 7 Giuliettas, I have 3. They were all 1.8 Executives. None of them were ever modified. There isnt really anyone in Durbs who i can trust with one of my darling Giuliettas. Its great cos people always admire the standard body and original paint BUT im not getting any younger, i wana flaunt the beautiful hard lines designed by ALFA.

I wana increase the performance but i have learnt my lesson about the couplings on the Giulietta. I have changed them 3times. The rubbers are getting a bit expensive now. Will any engine mods start to eat away at my couplings & is there any way to solve this problem. Sorry if i seem like an amatuer but i have never modified an ALFA before.

Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks
Amit
Durban; South Africa
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

My first broken donut came flat changing Second to Third. The car was a tired 2.0 when I learnt that lesson.

I Now have an 8200rpm redline with my V6 and nothing breaks (touch wood)- get the whole assembly balanced as a pair, and they work fine. Ive since blown the front donut, but that was the result of being an idiot and knifing the clutch while doing a burnout. Lesson? Drive these cars hard, but dont thrash them. You can drop burnouts and do all the silly stuff, and most of it will hold together proivided you have the power to spin the wheels (ie not a standard engine, and especially not a 2.0)- you wont blow diffs because the wheels just break traction and spin. Half Shaft CVs will go, but only with repeated abuse (it took me two and a half years and probably 150 clutch dropping sessions before I did my first).

RPM will be the killer. Not so much the power, unless you start getting up near the 400hp mark. Then again, my friend has a 400hp 1.8T motor in an Alfetta GT that spins three gears with ease, and he doesnt brake anything- then again, with that much torque, all he needs to do is drive it along in 2nd gear and and left foot brake. Go turbo!!!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Hi Amit,

It won't be cheap going the turbo route on your 4 cyl as a proper turbo for your car done by Turbonetics will be around R10 000!

My advice to you would be to speak to Barry about going the 4 cyl route or the 6 cyl route.You won't be sorry.I don't blame you about not trusting just anyone with your baby's as some so called mechanics I wouldn't let them come near my Alfa with a 10 foot barge pole.

The V6 donuts are far stronger than the 2.0 litre jobbies.My first GTV 2.0 litre,a modded one,had it's front coupling break while I was changing at 7000rpms from 2nd to 3rd....broke some of my flywheel bolts off in the process.Ironicaly the thing I most remember was watching the height this piece of rubber attained after it's escape. :shock:

My GTV6 did 18 track days in 2 years before having it's donuts replaced while having the 3.5 done by Glenwood.Like Jules says,with the extra power you break traction so easily,even up at the Reef,so there is no real worry.The V6 sound will have you smilling trust me. :D

Speak to Barry,save up the extra cash and mod it then go and thrash those Jap cars.

I had an impromtu robot race with a Scooby 22B STI,done by Nxgen,on the Saterday we beat our Aussie mates at Loftus in the rugby.I had no delusions of beating him but I was amazed to only be 3 car lengths behind by the time I hit 6500rpms in 3rd. :) He gave me the thumbs up and I went away quite happy.Not bad for a 12V,1984 Alfa with 3,5 and Gotech fitted.Go for it Amit.
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen