Gold

Post by SimonB »

How many Euros is that?
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Just under 5000 EUR.

My 2.5 would cost more to build, so by all means, I would do it. In terms of value for money, that is a pretty good price.

My little turbo spiel was more based around the fact that I now own an NA 2.5 that can have six throttles, a newer ECU, or an increase in displacement. Whereas, a TT setup on 9:1 would make more torque and more HP than mine, with room for improvement all around. With mine, I need liners, pistons, valves.... whoa it just goes on. And a 3.5 12v may end up making around 350hp.... in an ideal world, but a TT3.0 will turn an easy 500hp....

The $ per HP is not very fun from where I am! So I figure I will just stop for a while and keep brewing ideas for the next build!

I suppose the hard thing with our cars is you have the choice of going for a really nice NA motor too.

I mean, the jap guys have hairdryers and eggbeaters, and that's really it!

My original turbo dreams were a little unrealistic, but it is still what I aspire to.

Except, now Barry and "Ther Sart Efrikan Croud" have raised the bar, and my own experience with the sixes means I like em better than the fours!

So I like the idea of a shortly geared 105 Jr with my motor and a 24v 3.2 TT in mine on slicks...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Because...

Post by Mats »

junglejustice wrote:"...on top of a mountain..." is where the dyno is....

We are not talking about stock engines, with "normalized" factory horsepower and torque numbers here... We are talking about custom-built engines with performance representations from a builder with a dyno who happens to be located at about 6000 foot elevation in a hot dry climate.

The numbers are so significantly different from dyno to dyno, test day to test day, fuel to fuel and then their is the "hubris of youth" factor: Guys who see a momentary spike on the dyno numbers as you increase load to the run and they call that "the power."

The differences that I have seen in my own cars' performance between Pretoria and say Durban are HUGE!
I know there is a difference running the engine in different environments but why not just recalculate the numbers to a normalized value?
Then you don't have to add "but of course at sealevel that would be a lot more..."

I'm just asking, It's not really difficult to calculate. :?:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

junglejustice wrote:Joey, as far as your statement: "...i'm with otter.. 10k AUD wont buy a built 24v..."

I don't mean to disagree so strongly with you and Otter however, I believe that I just offered the man the folowing:

A fantastic 3.5 litre, 164-based 24 Valve V6 engine ..

Just PM me at john@reginaceleste.com and it is done.

i dont think we're disagreeing. Fletch otts and I are aussies, and are referring to what can be done here.

if this engine can be built with S.A. labour and get shipped here for around $10k thats f'in great if power is your thing.

there is no way you could get anything like that built here for you at that money.

still, i think body work and anything else that needs freshening is step 1.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Ok...

Post by junglejustice »

Cool Joey....

So Mats, this should be interesting....

If Dawie and my guess of about 350 horses at the crank, at sea-level here on the west coast, running our 93 (R+M/2) gas and maybe some toluene mixed in (about 10%), is not accurate enough, please "normalize" the number for us.

Not being sarcastic here at all, just asking - I'd like to know!? Given an Alfa Romeo transaxle and its commensurate drive-line loss, with 280 horses at the rear-wheels, what is the "normalized" horsepower number for this engine?
Last edited by junglejustice on Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
FLETCH
Silver
Silver

Post by FLETCH »

Thanks for all the reply's guy's,it is exactly what i needed,i wan't opinions from as many of you guy's as possible :D
I never really thought about importing something from OS,but if i cant find anyone local who can compete,well so be it, i get so much interest in my car from all sorts of people so i would love to be able to have a really great donk in it aswell(not that there is anything bad about my 2.5). once i get this motor sorted out then i will over the years concentrate on the interior,and bodywork,you have to understand that i have dreamed of doing what i am doing to my Alfa for over 10 years,and now i can build up one damn nice car that will live in my garage for at least the next 20 or more years,something that just the exhaust note excites me!! but my car does that now :roll: :wink:
So mr Jungle Justice,u have an email waiting for u :)
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

jj, I'm not doing this every day, I've only seen it done automatically in the dyno software. I'll look it up and get back to you.
Basically you recalculate the numbers from whatever temperature and pressure to a "normal" temp/press, something like 20 deg centigrade and 1013mBar. That is to be able to compare numbers a little easier.

But I have to get back to you.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Yeah Fletch, its good to see it happening!

Your car will farking hammer with 4 valve heads and 3.7 worth of torque....

My quick little 2.5 isnt really that quick anymore :roll:

Time to hatch myself a plan for the next couple of years :twisted:
Fixing it bit by bit....
GTV6GPTT
Gold
Gold

Post by GTV6GPTT »

Getting serious here, for 10 grand there is 1 path to take that is worth it.
Being in Australia, getting the work done and getting parts will work out close to 10k.

Find a 12V 3L from a 164 or 75, depending on the condition of the motor have it checked and freshened up,
Get a Q grind CAM. Have the head polished and ported.
Fit a good Aftermarket ECU

Other little things that you can do is:
Replace the stock mufflers with straight threw mufflers.
Work on the gearbox: lsd, ratios.

Basically put this is the best option by far, and you will be quite happy with the car.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

If you can do some of the work yourself, then AUS$10K can go quite a long way. For example, taking the engine out and installing it yourself can save you a bundle. Disassembling the engine yourself will also save you lots of money. Send it all of to a reputable shop and have them put in total seal rings, a basic head job, all new seals and gaskets, and the install a new aftermarket EFI. Then install Greg Gordon's supercharger. $10K should be enough for that.
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

8)

each nigth i was dreaming of a gtv6....2 stroke.

full machined crankscases, 2 crank shafts, and two banks of 3 cylinders of maico/zabels 0.7L units.
this makes 6*0.7L; 4.2L v6 engine.
can expect at least for 110 hp at 7000 per each cylinder.

fitted in the back (MR) with a 6speed hewland gearbox
awesome 650 hp without any kind of inertia...the pedal fasten to the rear axles...

and that sound !!! impossible to describe...

i'm dreaming of more...8,10 or 12 cylinders.......but.....after; where put the exhaut expansion chambers ??.....and 800-1000-or 1300 hp on a gtv6...in 2 stroke should be a quite 'dangerous'
Attachments
zabel-motor.jpg
zabel-motor.jpg (19.44 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
2 stroke addict