FLETCH
Silver
Silver

$10,000.00 What to do????

Post by FLETCH »

Hey all,
Hypothetically,if u had 10 grand AUD to spend on your car(1981 gtv 2000,with a worked but possibly tired 2.5 v6)what would u do?
I am cosidering a 3L,Rebuilding it,Megasquirt,GG'S super charging kit,and ????? :roll:

please give me some help,i love this car of mine ,but want it to go that little bit harder. :D
81GTV6
Gold
Gold

Post by 81GTV6 »

Street, street/track, or full time track car?
Jacob Ricciotti

'81 GTV6 3.0
'81 GTV6 Track car
'91 164S daily driver
FLETCH
Silver
Silver

Post by FLETCH »

Street mostly,some track. 8)
81GTV6
Gold
Gold

Post by 81GTV6 »

well if I had $10K I would buy a beater GTV6 to turn into a track car :wink:

For your street/track car I would say switch engines to a 3.0L (if your really serious supercharge it with Greg's kit!!!! :D ). Update suspension with poly busings, new springs/shocks. Finally you would want some bigger brakes to handle all that.
But thats jsut me.
Jacob Ricciotti

'81 GTV6 3.0
'81 GTV6 Track car
'91 164S daily driver
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

Twin Turbo's... :twisted:
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

3.5 Litre or 3.7 Litre...

Post by junglejustice »

I dunno... If you want, you could spend all of it on a killer 3.7 Litre 24 Valve based on a 164 motor or you can do a 3.5 Litre 24 valve based on the new 156 motors with the new timing belt system and chain-driven oil pump...

You can also do a 164 24 valve based 3.5 Litre for about half the money and have money left over for coil-overs, brakes, roll bar etc etc. That's if you already have the donour car...

If you still have to buy the car, go with a bad-arse 12 Valve 3.5 with about 260 horses and UNREAL torque.... Then you have money for the donour car, Praggia 6 or 8-piston front brakes, the correct wheels and coil-overs...
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
FLETCH
Silver
Silver

Post by FLETCH »

junglejustice wrote:I dunno... If you want, you could spend all of it on a killer 3.7 Litre 24 Valve based on a 164 motor or you can do a 3.5 Litre 24 valve based on the new 156 motors with the new timing belt system and chain-driven oil pump...

You can also do a 164 24 valve based 3.5 Litre for about half the money and have money left over for coil-overs, brakes, roll bar etc etc. That's if you already have the donour car...

If you still have to buy the car, go with a bad-arse 12 Valve 3.5 with about 260 horses and UNREAL torque.... Then you have money for the donour car, Praggia 6 or 8-piston front brakes, the correct wheels and coil-overs...
M8,i would love to go with any of those options u have suggested,especially the first 2,though i dont know of anyone local (SYD AUSTRALIA) who does that kind of work,if anyone here does please let me know.i am fairly sure i can get my hands on a 3.0 l 12 v for around $1000 AUD, a 3.0l 24v for $2000 - $3000 AUD,though i imagine that these engines are quite hard to find around here!please someone tell me otherwise,have Mark and Julian(from syd) found these new forums yet,both these 2 guy's were very helpful on the old site,keep the options comming guy's i really appreciate it.
cheers all
ADAM............
otter
Silver
Silver

Post by otter »

the engines are hard to find the quad cams in particular. there simply not that many 164s sold in oz, a 166 front cut is the ideal but they are impossible to find.

sorry but you need to add quite a few more thousands to the prices you quoted. think 2-4K for a 12v, 6-8K for a good quad cam conversion. then the skys the limit if you want more power. . .
so many times, people have drifted into my racing line and slowed down to early.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Good News/Bad News Fletch;

Post by junglejustice »

Hey Boss, sorry, I missed the part about the 10K being "Ausie" dollars.... I see that the AUD is about 75% of the USD today....

Still, great news is that for that money you can buy a fantastic 3.5 litre, 164-based 24 Valve V6 engine with about 280 horses – at sea level, (including a programmable fuel AND spark, stand-alone engine management system, including a custom aluminium oil-pan, fully balanced internals, headers, 50mm induction plenum and runners, as well as a lightened flywheel along with all of the other parts that you would need to make this thing fit in your GTV6 or a Milano!

I know that this does not leave you with much money for the donour car, (or anything else for that matter), but you'll be THE BOMB in the driveway...

Jokes aside, email me at john@reginaceleste.com and we'll work something out for you, or call me in the US sometime at 425.941.4747

This will be a Glenwood Motor build by the legendary Dawie de Villiers down there in South Africa. I have a core ready to go for you and I am taking 5 more sets of the forged aluminium alloy high compression pistons down to SA with me again next month. One set is yours….
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Heya there Fletch!!!!

Ive forgotten where you'd gotten to with your car, so here's my list:

I think you'd already gotten a TS box and LSD in, so shim that diff out- a must. A decent clutch- put the two together, and you're nearly one grand down there.

As for your engine, it's hard to say "build one up", because it aint ever easy.

You've got V6 mounts, and a 2.5 in there.
My options?
a) Sacrifice your 2.5s sump and timing cover for a 24v with some pipes and an ECU- its a nigh on 280hp proposition, and very nice.
b) Buy a 12v 3.0 and warm it over.
c) find some four cylinder engine mounts and tailshaft and go 1.8 turbo slightly warmed up- 250hp quite easily done.
or, my favourite?

With a 2.5, you could get a TT setup happening on stock comp and without freshening the motor up- just kinda build up the externals with growth potential, get that done, and drive it while you save for internals.
So, manifolds, with thick flanges for hanging turbos, I'd figure around the $1200 mark (for two)
Turbos? Just go 2x GT28 off an SR20 or RB26. With 9:1 you could put 8-9 psi into it, enjoy the torque and stay safe.
Intercooler? www.horsepowerinabox.com and other Zoom advertisers were offering something like $550 for bar and plate I/Cs of decent size-
Pipework? Turbo-I/C-T/B with a BOV plumbed into it youre talking maybe a grand.
ECU installed and tuned? Around 2500, depending on what you buy.

Fuel sys? injectors, and pump, maybe around $800

Your radiator will need some good freshening, making sure the thermos work properly will be a certainty.

Exhaust, dump pipes back, wont be cheap, but hey, it wont all happen over night, and if you start accumulating stuff as you go, rather than get it all in one hit, then you'll be sweet. Buy generic stuff you'll need no matter what- pump (and injectors if you stay12V)

With two of those smaller Nissan style GT28s, your boost ceiling will be around 15psi. Total airflow given good efficiency of everything else will be enough to pump out over 400hp, but you'll need a comp drop, rod cleanup, forgies and O Ringed liners to get the most out of it.

As Barry has shown us time and time again, and as my mechanic pointed out, these arent weak motors, and the stroke is so short in a V6, that the liners likely arent as prone to warping at the stress levels we're all likely to place on them, so I reckon you start sorting out prices and figure out how to get yourself a couple of haridryers hangin off each bank!
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

otter wrote:the engines are hard to find the quad cams in particular. there simply not that many 164s sold in oz, a 166 front cut is the ideal but they are impossible to find.

sorry but you need to add quite a few more thousands to the prices you quoted. think 2-4K for a 12v, 6-8K for a good quad cam conversion. then the skys the limit if you want more power. . .
i'm with otter.. 10k AUD wont buy a built 24v, i dont know how feasible a ground up TT is either.

at this point i would spend the money to make sure what you have is straight. check out the engine, if its fine but tired, invest in a full rebuild and maybe then think about greg's s/c and aftermarket ecu. then make sure your TS g/b is 100% as jules said and then turn your attention to the body.. i'll be bloody impressed if you still had change from that 10k after all that.

no point blindly plumbing in more power into a car with "20 years experience" behind her, her prime was a long time ago my friend. JMO.

as for BB kits, and TTs or 24v - forget it.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Joey, as far as your statement: "...i'm with otter.. 10k AUD wont buy a built 24v..."

I don't mean to disagree so strongly with you and Otter however, I believe that I just offered the man the folowing:

A fantastic 3.5 litre, 164-based 24 Valve V6 engine with about 280 horses – at sea level, (including a programmable fuel AND spark, stand-alone engine management system), forged pistons, including a custom aluminium oil-pan, fully balanced internals, headers, 50mm induction plenum and cast 48mm runners, as well as a lightened flywheel along with all of the other parts that he would need to make this thing fit in a GTV6 or a Milano!

Just PM me at john@reginaceleste.com and it is done.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

What do you mean "at sea level"? Aren't all power figures normated to DIN, SAE or similar? Why would anyone whant to know how many hp the engine has on top of a mountain at 35 degrees Celsius?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Because...

Post by junglejustice »

"...on top of a mountain..." is where the dyno is....

We are not talking about stock engines, with "normalized" factory horsepower and torque numbers here... We are talking about custom-built engines with performance representations from a builder with a dyno who happens to be located at about 6000 foot elevation in a hot dry climate.

The numbers are so significantly different from dyno to dyno, test day to test day, fuel to fuel and then their is the "hubris of youth" factor: Guys who see a momentary spike on the dyno numbers as you increase load to the run and they call that "the power."

The differences that I have seen in my own cars' performance between Pretoria and say Durban are HUGE!
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Actually, Fletch, Jungle Justice has probably got the best option right there!
Fixing it bit by bit....