junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Sea-level

Post by junglejustice »

Mats,
I think that what Guy means is that this thing will REALLY scoot at sea-level, since the area where Dawie's shop is, (as well as the area where Guy encountered this car), is in the highveld area... (Almost 6000 foot elevation!)

It makes a huge difference from up there, plus you have traditionally had higher octane petrols available down by the coast!

There is also this awesome toll-road that takes up a good 2000 foot elevation change making the final run down into Durban for example (if that was where he was going...) Sweeping turns and long-range views...

The 1st week that I arrived at Dawie’s shop at the end of September, we first finished this 3.7 motor up before we moved on to our two 3.7s…. The specs were identical, but the induction is more 164/156-style…

Dawie is SOOOO happy with that motor. We talked yesterday and he said that it SPINS! It’s headed back in for the 1st service (heads re-torque etc…) Some of the early pics of a motor that I posted was actually this chap’s motor! (The one with the sleeves tight up against the block walls as this was going to be a turbo motor originally…)

Jes and I are running the same 10.8 cr and with the 9.5 mm lift cams and 270 degrees duration, it makse for a sweet combination....
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

JJ

Have you got 'solid' cam followers in your engine or the hydraulic one's??

Also, did you have an option on CR 10.8?? or decide after driving a similar engine?

Did you go for a 'race' spec 46mm exhaust manifold, or a standard road fitment?

Has your engine got a 2.5 or 3.0 head?

Cheers
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

3.7 Litre Specs;

Post by junglejustice »

Hey Andrew,
Ported 2.5 litre 24 valve heads don't work very well on anything over a 3.2 to a 3.35 litre bore.... 24 valve 2.5 heads actually work BETTER on a 3.0 sub than the 3.0 stock OR ported heads do!!! The 3.5 and 3.7 LOVES the 3.0 heads ported out...

Mine are 3.0 heads, ported. I like the hydraulic lifters... But I went with GTA lifters; they are lighter and firmer/tighter than stock 3.0 lifters...

I did have compression options; the pistons that I brought to SA with me left me the option to go as high as an 11.5:1 CP, but as the R+M versus just R versus just M methods and gas differences here versus SA versus Europe versus UK is a bit of an unknown at this stage in terms of running Glenwood engines, we wanted to play it safe. I was also looking for a street-able setup (as Jes' motor is mostly street and some track; mine is track and some street...)

After driving a 3.7 with 10.8 and consulting with Dawie extensively on the subject, we decided that we could hit my 300 to 350 target with a 10.8:1 CP...

I am running the custom 46mm headers (the largest you can squeeze by the starter without major body mods...)
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

JJ

Ok..... So you have a fast road engine, not full race.

I know about the head limits, but was just unsure what you went with.

The 2.5 heads will still flow enough for 300hp with larger BMW valves, just not so good on a 3.7. You can also reach 340 easily on a 3.5 engine.

If you had gone for solid lifters, you would have more options for playing with cam profiles - the hydraulic followers also restrict the revs to 7500 at the most.

I don't understand the difference between 3.0 and 'gta' followers?? tighter? lighter? please explain.

Over here we run 12.2 CR, 300 degree cams, steel rods, solid followers, and 8700rpm. You could call that 'full race' :D

Has it been installed in the car yet?

as for exhaust

RACE=
Attachments
road manifold
road manifold
road.jpg (35.15 KiB) Viewed 10990 times
Race
Race
race.jpg (35.89 KiB) Viewed 10990 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

So, all you guys runnin' these here crazy engines, what other little goodies have you got on 'em?
Mini alternators?
Filter relocators/oil coolers?
Dry sump?
Crank scrapers?
Changed out the Flux Capacitors for a larger one?

How much does a 3.7 24v beast weigh? with all the stuff on it, like alternators, intakes and such. Any clues?
(Really, if you haven't checked the weight before you put them in the car I'm going to be upset)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

About

Post by junglejustice »

Close to 330 pounds - bare...
Actually, right below 190 kilos when you include the tail-housing, headers, intake plenums, intake runners, alternator, starter, timing belt covers, flywheel fuel rails and injectors and linkages, plugs etc....
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Well...

Post by junglejustice »

Andrew,
Yeah, no... -never said that this IS a race engine... Jes and I both wanted some street-ability. The engine right now idles smooth and revs smooth and can be driven DAILY without issues!

As far as revs - I wanted/needed this thing to LAST. so we decided on NOT going with higher rev limits... As stated before - no points at stake, no money up for grabs, nothing to prove... The 3.7 that I drove in October with a similar setup to mine is ready to shift at 6200 BUT IT WILL HOLD IT'S POWER ALL THE WAY TO 7000... 7200 redline - no solid lifters needed...

The nice part is that 350 smooth horses to me are worth a great deal more than 8000+ rpm 370 or whatever...

The GTA lifters ar physically lighter than a stock 3.0 lifter. They are also tighter (we are running about .3 on these engines)
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

JJ

Okay... see where you coming from!

Over here, we're looking at 420 bhp @8000+ :wink: Still pretty good idle 1100 rpm.

I think with your cam's and rev limit, you max power will be be nearer 315/320 bhp with the mild cams, but still plenty - may be proved wrong, so if it makes 350.....enjoy.

I'm still at odd's with the followers.... lighter - okay, but tighter??? .3???? By their very design hydro followers are constantly in contact with the cam at all times...please explain the 'clearence' of .3

Are you running an oil cooler???

What about oil breather set-up??

Andrew
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Were are you all from?

Sound like some nice Donks youre all churning out!
Fixing it bit by bit....
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Lifters

Post by junglejustice »

When you take that follower and you bang it on a hard surface (not your wife's antique hardwood table), but a steel work-bench or something, you'll pop that lifter right out.... (Only way to get it out safely believe it or not...)

There is a modification to decrease the tolerance of that lifter. I'll stop here as some of this is somewhat proprietary to how Dawie does his, but the short of it is that he modifies that clearance down to .3 of a millimeter (For the yanks, that's what? 1 thou? No, half a thou?)
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

The valve is made longer by welding up the tip.This is then ground down untill you have your prescribed clearance with a fully colapsed lifter......old racing trick....gta lifters identical to 3.0l gtv..heads have same part no ,everything is the same

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Nope Barry....

Post by junglejustice »

GTA Lifters are different....
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Barry,oh Barry, you nasty little...whatever, Hahah (you know!)
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Andrew, yes I will be running an engine oil cooler. Will see about an oil-breather....

I'm not a big fan of solid lifters on a street car; My experience with them is that they are noisy and they need periodic adjustment - not good for a street setup IMHO.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D John,Not being clever here,simply stating that ,In S.A. at least the heads are 3.0l heads used on the 3.2l gta motor-I have ,together with the rest of the racing team ,just come out of 2 years of racing and experience with the gta engine..I do know that Dawie has used the 20l ts lifters in the v6 heads (Im actually running them in a motor of mine right now,sourced from Dawie) and perhaps they are lighter and he decided to use them for that reason.

Friends?

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.