Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

SuperVerde's 7psi Dyno results.

Post by Greg Gordon »

Earlier this week we bumped SuperVerde from about 5 pounds of boost to a tick over 7 psi. Here are the results
Attachments
Dyno7psiVerde.nomixJPG.JPG
Dyno7psiVerde.nomixJPG.JPG (231.52 KiB) Viewed 10694 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Of course that's horsepower and torque at the wheels! I am quite pleased with these results. That's a 52% gain over stock with about 50% increase in air. That shows the efficency of the Eaton/Magnuson supercharger at these boost levels. Power is very stong right off idle and as you can see from the graph it has 200 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels by 3000 RPM. If we use the often accepted driveline loss numbers it works out to about 275 flywheel horsepower.

For those not familiar with this car it has a 3 liter with Forged Venolia 8.8:1 compression pistons, a supercharger and my Stage 2 injectors. That's it, everything else under the hood is stock, no headers, no big intake runners, no ported heads or big valves and of course the stock L-Jetronic injection system with the stock air flow meter (it's never even been opened up).

This is the maximum amount of boost the L-Jetronic system with my big injectors can handle.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Could be the hottest l-jet engine around!
Congratulations Greg!
-James
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Wow, excellent results greg, it's very interesting indeed, how much did the pistons cost you?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Fedezyl:

I don't remember the exact number but the pistons cost about $600 for the set including new wrist pins. Add in another $150 for the custom Total Seal rings (regular style not gapless in this case), and about $100 to rebore the cylinder liners to fit the pistons which were .010" oversize and we are out about $850. Not too bad considering the cost of a new set of standard pistons and liners. Forged pistons represent money very well spent on a forced induction motor. Ideally better rods would have been nice too, but economic realities sometimes get in the way of buying everything we would like. The stock rods should be fine up to 6000 or a little more.

Zambon:

Thanks, I think it is the hottest L-Jet Verde engine around, certainly the hottest one running stock manifolds, runners, etc. Of course there are always faster cars out there, off hand, The JJ South African monsters, Greg Armstrongs car, Martin DeCampo's incredible Callaway (build by Greg Armstrong) and a few others will beat it.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Greg

Are the Armstrong built cars running ljet management?
I know that there are faster arrangements out there, your father's car project was never based on making the fastest car. You removed the 17in wheels and 27mm torsions to go back to stock spec suspension for crying out loud :lol:
The thing that I like most about it is that you while you gained serious power, at the same time you make the engine more reliable for long road trips. No more worrying about the timing belt skipping a few teeth and bending valves 2000 miles from home.

Thanks for all of the hard work,
James
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Nice.

However, for fast driving the rpm is cut off way too early. Engine loses lots of its potential.
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Nice one Greg!

Good smooth curves for power and the torque looks amazing at low rpm.

If I remember you can also supply the kit with the M90 charger for a few extra dollars - right??

I'm sure you know we'd all love to see some video!!
Andrew b
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Zambon,

The Armstong cars are NOT running L-Jet. I think they use Electromotive or Motec, or something else really expensive! They also use liquid to air intercoolers, knife edged cranks etc. etc. They are first rate super high dollar engines. As far as I know the two Armstrong engines (one has an Eaton M90 and one is twin turbo) are the most powerfull street 2.5s in the U.S. For what it's worth I consider Armstrong to be the top guy in the U.S. for souping up Italian engines.

Micke, you are right, more RPM would be better but the stock rev limiter is 5800 RPM and I am trying to show improvements over stock so as it is I feel I am cheating a bit by going to 6000. Plus the Stage 2 injectors run out of capacity at this point so for more power, via either more RPM or more boost even bigger injectors are needed. That means Stage 3Ms and modern fuel managment. Keep in mind with the 3.55 rear end 6000 rpm is actually pretty darn fast in each gear.

Andrew, the M90 is untried, but yes, I can make it with an M90. I am too poor to buy a video camera, plus I would rather provide evidence of success by having other people see the car in person. I think I can get enough power to break the transaxle with the M62 so I just have not been too excited about getting a M90 going.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Greg,

Why did you blank out the A/F?

Also, about the RTEC AFM adaptor for cone filters, does it have the gradual round to square transition?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Zamani, I did it to create controversy and make the site exciting again! Actually I was trying to reduce the kb count so I could post it on the alfabb, I was not succesfull. The mixture looks exactly like the 205 rwhp data, we just moved the whole curve up for the extra boost. The RTEC adapter has a fairly smooth transition from round to square. Next time you see my dad take a look at it if you want. He is comming back for that drag race!
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

what size injectors are you using?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The biggest Low resistance injectors I carry, Stage 2s. Without looking it up I think they are right around 23.5 pph. I can't really use any bigger with stock L-Jet without creating some big issues. It's really not a problem though, we don't plan to add any more power anyway, and if we do it will via via methods that don't require more fuel. For customers wanting a lot more power we stock Stage 3M high resistance injectors with about 27 pph for use with aftermarket systems. I can have high flow injectors made but right now I don't see any possible realistic applications that would call for larger then the Stage 3ms.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Damn Greg that torque curve looks like a fun ride!! Certainly has the potential for someone to go out and out stupid with an engine like that. Rods, Revs, Boost and tyre smoke yum yum!

Any links to this Greg Armstrong's work?

What about Jim Steck?
Fixing it bit by bit....
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Thanks Julian, you are correct, the torque curve does make it fun. That's the big advantage of a positive displacement supercharger. You get a power increase EVERYWHERE in the curve.

I don't have a link to Armstrong's stuff. I don't think he does much on the internet, but you can find his customer's cars on the net. He did Martin DeCampo's Callaway TT #1. He also does twin turbo conversions on Lamborghini Diablos, it's very impressive work.

I don't know much about Jim Steck. I have the impression that he is a serious guru and his work looks fantastic, but I don't think he messes around with the V6 much. I could be wrong but everything I have seen from him has been 4 cyl stuff