Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Starts runs and Stop

Post by Charlie Hood »

The 84 GTV-6 starts, runs for about a minute or? Then the motor dies. It will start again, but only run a moment the dies and won't start again. I have been reading in the archives.
1) I have not done anything yet; I'm going to start with the fuel filter.
2) While I'm at it I am going to change the fuel line in the back. I'm thinking for fabing some metal tubing U bends. What is everyone doing about these sharp bends at pump and filter?
3) Greg mentioned the Crane Cams ignition, does anyone have any experience with this or? If the ignition is the problem, this sounds like a better alternative.
4) This a bit of low buck operation. I would like to put in 3 liter, supercharger and all that but alas….
Thanks and a tip of the hat from ole Charlie
PaulyCC
Silver
Silver

Post by PaulyCC »

Remember to check the fuel lines in the front too. ;) I had a gtv6 do something very similiar and one of the fuel lines was loose. Im presuming you checked all the air hoses in the engine bay too?
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie Hood »

I have not done anything yet, but I will be giving it the Greg Gordon once over.
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie Hood »

OK! Alfa Vs. Aphids – Alfa Losses! I believe that I have the found the problem, let me know what you think?
1) I have an aphid problem in the tree above where I park the car.
2) The gooey stuff had gummed the windshield wiper.
3) The windshield wiper control on arm on the steering stalk had been bumped on.
4) I’m guessing the draw on the power after about 3 minutes was enough to knock out the FI or?
5) I need to check the fuse to see if it is the correct value, as I would think that it should have blown.
6) I turned off the windshield wiper and started the car and let it run for about 10+ minutes. I have not had a chance to road test it yet.
7) Does this sound plausible?
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie Hood »

Well the aphids were NOT the problem after all. I was walking again Friday.
It starts, runs for a while and stops, sometimes it will catch again, sometimes it will not.
I went through most of the items - Temp II, Thermo Time etc.
When I got to fuel pressure, I found the problem. I was losing fuel pressure when it died.
That led me to no voltage at the pump. In the process it found that if I tapped the Combi Relay, it would die. However when disconnected the Combi Relay, and tested, I was not getting a reading at 88b, Hmm now that I think about it I didn’t have the vane in the air flow meter open….
Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated.
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie Hood »

Combi Relay? My book (CarDisk) says that I should be getting a reading with the ignition on at 1) 88Z which I do, :P and 2) 88b which I don't? :evil: In looking at the schematics, it would appear that 88b, goes to injectors 5&6 and pin 29 at the ECU so?? how would I get a reading. In the trouble shooting section it says 88z and 88d I have pretty much gone through everything thing that I can. The problem is intermitent, seems to related to the car warming up. Or something is heating up??
chood
shures
Gold
Gold

Combi Relay

Post by shures »

The most frustrating problem I have had to date concerned a failing Combi relay. The car would die and not restart. The relay AND everything else would check out fine whenever I tested it which was rarely immediately after the car would die. Finally I had to have it towed one day and found the relay not doing its job. I suggest you check the electronics following the Bosch tune-up article on this site (at the start page on the left side go Publications, European Car, and scroll down until you find the Dec '95 story). They have you checking from the connector at the L-Jet brain. This allows you to test for any opens or shorts in the wiring harness too. Also clean up all the grounds involved including the bundle on the right head cover and the one from the plenum to the left head cover. If still inconclusive, I would get a known good combi relay and try that. I had to buy a new one but am always looking for a known good one from a parts car to keep on hand. Perhaps you can borrow one from a local club member?

Additional suggestions: probe the connector for the L-Jet from the back so you don't spread the metal contacts open. Disconnect the battery to protect the Brain (weird stuff always happens to me). Clean every contact you can with jewlers files (the small blue handled files from Sears work OK) or fine sandpaper and reassemble everything with a generous smear of di-electric grease.
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie Hood »

Check this out for Comb-Relay???

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/DoubleRelay.html
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie Hood »

Ok I have a new question. I have been unpluging the combi-relay to check the plugs from the business end. I'm thinking that the unit needs to be plugged in to function, and I should be probing from the back or wire side of the plugs?
Thanks
Charlie :?:
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

what about spark plugs(if u have the original golden lodge toss them for platinum 4+)? and vac lines? i ran a toggle fused line directly from the battery to my fuel pump when my car was giving me that same problem. my fuel pump wasnt getting a solid power signal. is your car running yet?
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie Hood »

Sportuner, thanks for your reply.... I have never had Lodge plugs in any of my 6 Alfa’s since ‘71. I have a new Combi-Rely and the car is running great. However I have not driven very far, as I am not sure that the relay is the problem. It has been so sporadic. That is why I want to set up the limp home option and be able to diagnose the problem while it is happening.
chood
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie Hood »

Thanks to those that replied.
It would appear that the problem was the Combi-Relay, was it has been running very well since I replaced it. I have made up a jumper kit to carry in the car in case it does this again.
chood
sfyamr1
Silver
Silver

Post by sfyamr1 »

Charlie - how's the relay working out? Was it still just that?

I have been having some electrical wierdness lately myself, but the symptoms, like yours, make it almost to impossible to diagnose without exhaustive testing.

I replaced my combi relay a few years ago, but I might have gotten it off eBay. It was in great external physical condition, but not necessarily new or sound in the inside, I suppose.

Allen
LA, CA
'84 GTV6
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie Hood »

Whew, so far so good on the Combi Relay, the old buggy has been running great. I took the old relay apart and it looked good, however when I ran a piece of a brown paper bag between one set of points it did come out dirty, so I'm wondering??? I'm still carrying a set of jumpers that I made up and DMM in the car. I purchased the new relay from Centerline.
Whew these things are really enough to make one want to take a drink once it awhile.