GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Yankin' a Tank

Post by GregoryV »

Got a sheet of Dynamat in since the tank is out, and I've bean meaning to pull the Koni shocks and turn them to the softest setting... easy thing to do with the tank out! Thought I'd throw in a picture of the evap. system up above the tank - the lines are all hard as a rock, and I'll replace them all once Greg G's kit arrives. GV
Attachments
evap.jpg
evap.jpg (140.92 KiB) Viewed 7306 times
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

I like dynamat. Did my other car with it, all the under carpet and flat panels. Not covered completely, but enough to deaden the panel's sound. Sticks well and worked great. Some say it weighs too much, but I used about 16 sq feet and this probably weighs in around ~15 lbs. Just a guess as it has been some time.
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

I just realised that I am either going to have to add a second fuel filter somewhere before the fuel pump... don't know where exactly. Or swap the fuel pump and filter around since it won't be a good idea to go to the pump without a filter first...

Thought I was making things simpler by getting rid of the intake filter now it seems like it is more complicated :?
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

No filter before the pump except the sock on the in-tank snout, you can get ugly problems with cavitation in the pump.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Mats wrote:No filter before the pump except the sock on the in-tank snout, you can get ugly problems with cavitation in the pump.
So... if I am now rid of the in-tank filter is my pump going to be short lived (Though the tank has now been cleaned and coated) :?: What do you do with a fuel cell, do they have in-tank filters?

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I have run into this problem, sometimes the in tank sock/screen filter is beyond repair and you have to remove it. In these cases I suggest a regular low pressure filter placed in the fuel line between the tank's outlet and the pump. It will work fine, there won't be any problem. Of course you have to locate it where it won't get caught on any moving parts, or heated up too much by the brakes, but that's not really a problem unless you are doing something weird with your fuel line.

My Grey GTV6 has this setup, and it worked fine.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Thanks for the advice Mats and Greg :) Have the fuel lines in hand so I hope to have it fueled up and revving down the road this weekend. GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

:evil: Grrr! Went to put the tank in and the darn bung the shop welded on needs to be 1/4 inch shorter to get the dam tank in! I am more than tired of messing with this, not to mention that the car has been sitting for 2 stupid months! I'd trim the bung down but since I am using tapered NPT fittings I'll lose threads that are need for a good seal - leave it to Alfa to make a f'n tank that has but a 1/4 inch of clearance to slide in and out.

So, drop off the tank on Monday, tell them the bung needs to be mounted 1/4' lower... no make that 1/2" and hopefully I'll get it back by the end of the stupid week. GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

On a good note - Greg G's Above Tank Evap. Line Kit went on without a hitch :D

it was really nice to just pull the pieces out and replace them as labeled and not have to think about it, measure the different I.D. hoses that would be needed or make 10 trips to the auto parts store. GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

Sorry to hear that...I had same issue

from my earlier post:

"Forget all the alfa tank fittings/bungs. Have shop put in a whole new bung put in place (forget the intank filter) that will work with standard fuel fittings.

make sure it is low profile fitting(bung) ,so that you can get the tank back in without body work... "

:(
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Yeah, when I picked it up it looked marginal and of course it was by 1/8"... good news is they'll have it back to me tomorrow. GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

well you will still have time to enjoy the summer...
stonne
Silver
Silver

Post by stonne »

Hi, sorry, we did not read about your dramas earlier. Last weekend we pulled the tank out of our GTV6, with the filter bung still in place and the sender unit still in the top. We did read your postings very earlier on and noted in the back of our mind your problems, but forgot to update on our progress.

Our solution (may help someone esle) is to wriggle out the LHS of the tank, thus skewing it sideways, then tilting up the LHS, this allows the bungs to rise up over the holes in the boot floor and then the tank pulls out. Yes you do stratch it a little. But it definately comes out.

Also, with no in tank filter, you will need to drain you tank regularly and flush, as there is no filter now before the fuel pump. Our pump has just been thrown away as it had rotten fuel in it for too long and had clogged with sludge, despite the in tank filter.

thanks and hope to hear your on the road soon.

Peter
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Thanks guys. I've owned this gtv6 for 21 years and even with periodic fuel additives over its life there was still rust in the tank. No sludge, and not a ton of rust, but enough rust to cause running problems. These cars are now all pushing 25 years old, flushing/pulling and cleaning the tank is becoming a must for ownership now i think. GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

:D Full tank of gas and ready to use it up! Best off all... NO leaks! Putting up a few last photos, tucked the low pressure fuel filter for the main line to the pump just back of the standard Bosch filter, it fit real nice :)

The 90-degree Earls fitting that threaded into the tank lined up just right. I had the shop weld the bung so that the when the Earls fitting was screwed in just hand tight it point towards the front of the tank - once in place I was able to wrench it around for two full revolutions... nice and tight :)

Was going to move on to some new front torsion bars, but since this project used up some time I'm going to wait until the end of Summer. GV
Attachments
Tank fittings
Tank fittings
trunk2.jpg (208.56 KiB) Viewed 7055 times
Done at last!
Done at last!
trunk.jpg (208.53 KiB) Viewed 7056 times
Two fuel filters
Two fuel filters
trunk3.jpg (226.36 KiB) Viewed 7056 times
20-Years-3-Motors-Later