fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Electronic ignition problem, please help!

Post by fedezyl »

Well, I have a little problem...here's the thing...I bought in France an electronic ignition conversion for my bosch distributor on the 1.6, here's the thing, the kit basically replaces the condenser and the other crap by a disk with four magnets and a little sensor that you put in there, I followed all the instructions very carefully and it has a Hall type ignition module, it still keeps the mechanic advance via counterweights, the thing is that I connected the whole thing to an electronic ignition coil and suddenly the car barely starts, on one cylinder, misfiring, I checked the ignition timing, well me and my mechanic, it was ok, same thing, got it to run but it would only kinda work at about 3000 rpm's, well, we thought the coil was screwed up, so we put in a non electronic ignition coil, the stock bosch coil that comes with all old alfa's, suddenly the car works, now this coil has about 12000v's or something like that, I said great, well I got this brand new, never used Mallory 51000v's electronic ignition coil, plugged it in, all in the right order, didn't touch the ignition timing, and same problem as with the other coil, right now the ignition timing is a bit on the advanced side, you can hear the engine pinging, could it be that due to the higher voltage of the electronic ignition coil plus it being a bit too advanced it misfires? also, i'm still checking all the electrical system, as it seems it's needing a little more ground, every time the cooling fan turns on the bat light lightly comes on, you can barely see it at night...anyways, food for thought guys...could it be that that little grounding i'm missing would make the coil not have enough electricity coming in and it's just enough for the non electronic ignition coil??
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

F,Are you sure its a hall type sensor??How many wires out from the unit??

Did you recieve the ignition module with the kit or did you supply it?Is it a std 6 or 7 pin module?

These things are simple realy.I had a situation where the output from the magnetic reluctor was swithced around..Was triggering on a rising edge and retarding the ignition curve as revs went up.
let me know please..
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

hmm, wires out...three, one to positive coil, one to negative coil, one to ground, yep, i'm sure it's a hall type ignition module, that's what the guy said it was and the only thing he builds as far as ignition goes...it's missing a resistance out of the coil to the distributor, that I didn't put in yet, maybe it's that? i'll try that when I get back, i'm going flying right now..
Oh sorry, it's 5:30am here, out of the unit, three wires too, yep, the ignition module came with the sensor as one package, it's a conversion kit..

well sounds like i'm not going flying, somehow they forgot to let me know of a scheduling change and i'm off...nice, specially when you wake up and get ready at 5am...well more time to figure out what's going on with the coil