tonkatoy189
Silver
Silver

spark plug wires?

Post by tonkatoy189 »

what are people using for spark plug wires? i need some new ones.
thanks
david
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Wires

Post by tImBoWe »

There are some on ebay new. Seem quite expensive tho. Is there a special type to be used?
tonkatoy189
Silver
Silver

wires

Post by tonkatoy189 »

i've seen the ones on ebay, "magnecor". in 7 and 8mm. i dont know the quality. has anyone used these wires? i got some from IAP a long time ago but returned them because of poor quality. the wires pulled out of the plug connectors extremely easily. my current set is from centerline i think. i guess i'm asking if "performance" wires are out there and are they worth it?
thanks
david
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

There is also Eagle brand, from Australia, I think...same quality questions, I just don't know the answers...

You could probably by bulk 8mm silicon coated wires in the correct resistance from any number of online speed shops, just need to reuse the spark boots, the other ends are common enough
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

I just had a set of new ignition leads for my GTV6 made up by Queensland Ignitions in Brisbane. I re-used the original Bosch resistor tubes and the plug/cam cover seals. The new leads include 1K resistance distributor cap ends and are 7mm stainless wire centres and the 3mm brass end to screw into the original tubes, see pic 1.

Another option is to use the resistance 7.0mm silicone spiral core cable and replace the Bosch tubes with non-resistance straight through tubes and new 90 degree plug/camcover seals. Doug at Qld Ignitions made up a sample of this lead, see pic 2.

Pic 3 shows what I found in one of the tubes of the original set. Seems the end was twisted off some time ago and the wire was just stripped back and pushed back inside the tube. Also nice and corroded.

David
Attachments
Pic 3
Pic 3
DSC04452.JPG (16.36 KiB) Viewed 11901 times
Pic 2
Pic 2
DSC04447.JPG (45.25 KiB) Viewed 11901 times
Pic 1
Pic 1
DSC04444.JPG (23.31 KiB) Viewed 11901 times
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

Post by Terry Johnston »

I have had Magnecor's for a couple of of years on my GTV6. They are of excellent quality and well worth the money. Terry
Terry
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

call me a tite arse but i find the standard ones never give me trouble. when one breaks if i cant repair it i replace with another second hand one from the wreckers.ive never bought a new set to be honest. always secondhand and they seem to b fine for me.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Spark plug wires

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Magnacore wires do not fit correctly on the plug/cam cover seals they pop off from time to time.After investigating this with other GTV6 owners I have found this to be a common problem with the "MAGNAWHORE "wires .....
John
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

John,

Has anyone contacted "MAGNAWHORSES" about the fit problem? Just asking 'cause I recently found a couple problems on my wires and need to replace. These are just in bad shape overall and not worth rebuilding.

I saw them advertised, "MAGNAWHORE", on evilbay. I'm going to contact them about this issue. I don't know if this is a similar problem, but my BMW 'M'gines had a similar problem sometimes where some of the boots would pop, particularly at the track. I found there were leaks under them pushing them up. Corrected the seal and no more problem.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

OK. I sent Magnecor an email saying their product is getting bashed on Alfa V6 engines. Let's see what they respond with.

Also on evilbay, there's a listing for "Kingsbourne" performance wires by jagsgraveyard whom I purchased a set of their keys and were fine. Anyone familiar with this brand? They're listed for $140 USD.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

OK. Here's Magnacor's formal response to my query. He's correct about the venting. There are relief holes in the tops of the plug boots. I happened to have cleaned mine out yesterday.

Take into account that none of these spark plug components (even the
originals) are intended to be a perfect fit, since they have to vent air
as the engine warms (otherwise they would pop off the spark plugs). At
least unlike the originals our wires provide sealing around the spark
plug porcelain and are far superior in that respect.

If someone wants an exact original look and "feel" then he/she will have
to go with the original design - but over time our wires are better
since they actually do provide more protection from moisture than the
originals.

Steve Brown - Magnecor (Michigan, USA)
Telephone: 248-471-9505
Fax: 248-471-9506
WWW: http://www.magnecor.com
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

brookstroutr
Good work sending them an email mate.
I congratulate them on there fast response to your email.However,Mr Brown's answer was equally truthful but utterly unhelpful admitting his Magnawhores are loose as a two dollar whore.
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

John,

Magnacor does have an overall good reputation as a manufacturer. I've seen several posts about their quality on the V6's.

If I were to have an enacceptable set of wires, I'd complain to them
first. Or have you done this?
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I like Magnacore wires and have not had or seen any problems. Perhaps they made some substandard sets.
EdBundy
Silver
Silver

Plug wire resistance

Post by EdBundy »

Hi all
I've followed the thread but some questions remain. I've read elsewhere that the wire resistance needs to be equal for the ECU to perform correctly - I presume wire length doesn't need to be equal if additional resistors are used? Also, can someone verify that the wire resistance should be 5000 - 8000 ohm? What resistors are commonly used (i.e. ceramic, etc.) at what Wattage? I don't want to fry a lot through trial and error.

I've had plug wire troubles for a while now and will buy a set but I need something to tie me over in the meantime.

Thanks
'83 GTV6
Future car: '78 Spider