constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

Silly Alfa... It just won't start

Post by constantinemacris »

I have a 1985 GTV6 with just over 100k on it. I am having fuel pump issues that are more than just a broken pump. If you are reading this and are a L-Jetronic Hot shot I will be using the following site as my reference.
http://www.firstfives.org/faq/ljet/528i ... ematic.PDF
It seems similar to the GTV6 with the exception of the wire colors.

The engine began to sputter as if it had water in the fuel the day after I filled up at a somewhat questionable gas station. I put in some dry gas and then tried to run it to let the water work its way out. The engine continued to die at random times. It would run for 10 mintues and die then start up again and die in 3 mintues. Sometimes it would have a spell when it wouldn't even start. Most of the time in intersections. This went on for about a day when I decided to open the hood and swing the door open of the AFM. I heard the fuel pump start then stop then the relay chatter. I checked the fuese and the last one on the main line was blown... I believe it was white. I replaced it and had no luck. I then took the relay out and tested it.

the the coils had continuit,
88y and 88d had continuity when power and ground was provided to 86a and 85. The same didn't happen when i connected 86a to power and 85 to the coresponding wire.

the air flow meter pump switch works and i have continuity between 86b and 85.

So if the relay works, and the switch works and the pump works and they all don't work together then I am feeling it may be the ECU

Any suggestions?
Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to email
dini@cleaniedini.com
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

dean,
i would check the connections at the fuel pump for rust and also fuel hose for unusual crimping... other than that i am out of ideas.
vittorio
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

What is the fuel pressure at the rail?

When it runs, what does the exhaust look like?

Rob
'84 GTV6
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

The fuel pump is working fine when the correct lead is given power. I assume fuel pressure is fine because when the fuel pump is running it is perfectly fine. It is when the relay begins to chatter is when there are issues. When the car runs the exhaust is clear. On startup there slight blue tint.
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

Just because your fuel pump is fine, does not mean your fuel pressure is fine. I've been through this one myself. Could be clogs in the line to or crimps in the return line.

That being said, if you suspect the relay then you're probably having other issues. I know you've tested the relay, but do you have another relay you can through in there for peace of mind?

Rob
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

i have created a splice excatly for this problem when i was having wiring trouble with my fuel pump. i ran a fused set of wires from the battery to a switch in the dash back to the fuel pump and i found the problem was a malfunctioning inertia switch. As soon as i replaced that i removed myu spice job and we were back on the road. Check the INERTIA SWITCH!
vittorio
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

The wierd thing is

so the car started up and idled for a bit then sputtered out after about 5 mintues. The stereo (aftermarket kenwood or something) was flickering on and off. So i checked the voltage which was fine. When the engine was having trouble seemed to not go along with the stereo but who knows.
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

does the car have an alarm or immobiliser fitted? lost count over the years with some of the problems ive encountered with these things.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

When i tore the whole electrical system aparty i found that the valve cover bolt was stripped and all those grounds where loose. That is why it would run and stop and run and stop and stop when you go over bumps and stuff.

THanks for all the suggestions.